Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Password problems on TF-101

My daughter has a Transformer (TF-101) and accidentally turned on the security screen for her Eee Pad. She has a gmail account, but did not know the password. I was able to reset her gmail account password online (on a different computer), and that works fine now. But how do I propagate that new password setting to the Transformer when I can't get past the security screen? WiFi is turned off (and I can't turn it on, of course), so I tried plugging the Transformer into a "wired" computer via the USB connection. But unlike an iPad or similar product, it doesn't seem to automatically sync with anything equivalent to iTunes - even if I log in to her Google account on the computer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1636 times
    If you try the security screen pw and get it wrong enough times it's supposed to ask you to change your Google password to gain access.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Yes, you are correct - it lists a website to visit to change the Google password, which I did successfully. The problem is that this doesn't get any of that information to the Transformer, which is still "locked" with the old (unknown) password. So this is my question - how do you get the new/reset Google account password from the "internet" to the locked Transformer. Simply plugging it in (via USB) to a "wired" computer while logged into the Google account via browser does not seem to do the trick. It seems that there must either be a means to sync even the locked Transformer to something on the computer or some way to bypass the security screen. Otherwise I don't know how the Eee Pad ever knows the Google password was reset.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1636 times
    I wish I had an answer for you but a thought would be to change the pw to the type of security you have set up. For instance if you set up a PIN it's 4 numbers so if you temporarily set your password to 4 numbers maybe it will let you in using those. I really don't know for sure. I do know there is a way but unsure of how to implement it.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    It seems to think there is a way, because on the Transformer log in screen it says:

"Forgot your username or password? Visit google.com/accounts/recovery"

And, indeed, it is possible to successfully reset the password for the account by that means. I just need to know how the Transformer is supposed to get "synced" with the new password after it has been reset via the above website. The new password works fine when logging into the Google account on a different computer, but teh Transformer seemingly has no knowledge that the password has been reset. Frustrating, to say the least.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    423 times
    I think the biggest problem is that the WIFI is off so it can't sync the new password with google. The only other way I can think of is to wipe the data from the recovery screen. You would lose everything on the device though...
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1636 times
    OK, now I got it. If you had been connected to WiFi, given a minute or 2 it should be able to connect to that same WiFi and sync up. Not certain though if you would need to have turned on the sync in settings beforehand. Here's hoping.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I agree that WiFi being off complicated the situation, but it seems like a major design flaw if even a tethered device can't be synced. For example, an iPad or iPhone syncs when you tether it via USB, giving you access to the device regardless of whether WiFi is enabled. In the end, I ended up just wiping the data and starting over. I'd still like to think there was/is a better way, but searching several forums, incl. this one, it's not obvious that anything can be done other than the reset.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2318 times
    I'm glad you sorted it. I agree about the inability to sync in the way you describe. I think that sometimes, the developers who create these systems get so used to being permanantly connected to the net that it never crosses their mind that anyone would ever switch off their connection. Even tho its a perfectly reasonable thing to do!

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2813 times
    There are some good points and bad points to allowing a sync to a program like iTunes. Granted, with iOS 5 you can more or less be "iTunes free" with an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch, but you still need iTunes. I personally hate this dependence and love my Transformer. Perhaps there should be a way to change the status of WiFi when it is locked (I believe it is possible using the keyboard dock and the WiFi toggle button but I do not have it to test right now).

Glad you got it sorted out, but sorry you had to resolve to doing a data wipe.

I guess the best take away is to make sure you know the passwords (pattern and Google) so you can hopefully avoid this in the future.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Ads