Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Newer Primes, Different Screens? - Yellow cast

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Newer Primes, Different Screens? - Yellow cast

I've now received four Primes in search of one without issues. This isn't a Prime-bashing thread; every gadget I've bought in the last couple of years has had initial build issues at launch day. I went through three HP Envy 14's (bad keyboard, bad DVD drive, broken fan), two Motorola Photons, three Epic 4Gs, etc.

That said, here's been my experience:

1. Gray, purchased from BB in December, returned it: very little light bleed, good colors
    2. Champagne, purchased from Abt Electronics, have return package but still have it: very little light bleed, good colors
    3. Gray, purchased from BB in January, returned it: tons of light bleed, screen had a distinctly yellow cast
    4. Gray, purchased from HH Gregg in January, just received it today: very little light bleed, screen has a distinctly yellow cast

Looking at #2 and #4, the colors on #2 are just slightly warmer than the original Transformer. Colors are nice and deep, and text is clear. #4 (and #3 before it) has a distinctly yellow cast (it's far, far too warm, perhaps), colors are a bit washed out, and text isn't as sharp.

What concerns me is the possibility that ASUS switched screens and it's now impossible to get a Prime with the much better screen that was on #1 and #2. I have an RMA to return the Champagne model for some other issues (chemical stain on the backplate from the factory, broken haptic feedback), but will keep it if the screens on #3 and #4 are the new norm.

Has anyone else went through a few Primes and noticed this on newer screens? I'm not going to bother trying to show the difference in pics because it's not likely to show well enough, but trust me: the difference is striking.

Thoughts?

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    If you're looking for perfection, you're not going to get it--in anything. If you want the grey, keep #4; if you want the champagne, keep #2. Return the others and know that you have the current best tablet on the planet..
    Last edited by vectorman; 01-24-2012 at 02:07 AM.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    You got not one but TWO Prime's for very little light bleed? No wonder people can't find TF201 anywhere with people like you having problems with perfectly normal Prime's. Little light bleed is very common for IPS displays, it happens and is not covered by ASUS warranty and if you're returning them, you're just exploiting the stores.
    Last edited by kristovaher; 01-24-2012 at 01:44 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Okay, guys, please note that I'm not talking about the light bleed. That's minimal and as far as I'm concerned normal for IPS screens, and no need to go into instant defensive mode here.

What I'm talking about is significantly worse screens on the latest two I've received, in these respects:

1. Whites are distinctly yellow, so much so that ebook reading is very unpleasant. Note that I understand that even the good Prime screens I've had were warmer than, say, the original Transformer. However, whites were more white than yellow. With these two screens, whites are more yellow than white.

2. Text isn't as sharp. On Web pages in particular.

3. Colors in general (e.g., app icons) are washed out and text in the icons is hard to read (e.g., the date on the App Backup icon).

4. I've also noted that the screens don't seem to get as bright.

Note: I've been over at XDA fighting the good fight, making the same arguments about "perfection." I'm NOT being overly sensitive here. I've now received two newer Primes where the screens are identically far inferior to the two I had previously, and I'm a bit concerned that ASUS has swapped manufacturers for the screens. So, I'm really trying to figure out if ALL new Primes have this particular screen or if I just got really unlucky.

And I wouldn't return any Prime if it were of acceptable quality. The four I've had have NOT been, by any objective measure. I've I'm a huge fan of the Prime and, again, defend it against what I think are ridiculous claims. So, no need to insult me here.
    Last edited by wynand32; 01-24-2012 at 10:08 AM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    The chances of you receiving 4 unacceptable tablets in a row is just astronomical. People that are overly picky drive up prices for the rest of us. You have to realize nothing is going to be perfect and leave it at that. 4 primes in a row that are not acceptable? Its so hard to believe.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibe View Post
    The chances of you receiving 4 unacceptable tablets in a row is just astronomical. People that are overly picky drive up prices for the rest of us. You have to realize nothing is going to be perfect and leave it at that. 4 primes in a row that are not acceptable? Its so hard to believe.
    Well, this is disappointing. Is everyone going to attack me for being "picky," or is anyone going to respond constructively? I'm willing to accept something not being perfect, for example, I've never complained about the GPS or wifi performance. I was even willing to accept haptic feedback not working AT ALL and simply making an annoying noise (that can't be 100% turned off). The issues I've had, however, and in particular this screen issue, would mean accepting devices that are simply unacceptable by any OBJECTIVE measure.

I wonder if anyone will be willing to actually read my post and not knee-jerk this kind of "you're being picky" response...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    As the previous people have already subjected, 4 Primes, you are being picky.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I understand what you are saying. I wonder if you can contact Asus directly about the screen manufacturer and whether they have been switched in newer models. I do realize you were just description the screens and not complaining about them, i think it isn't quit rude that people are attacking you. I would probably keep the first ones with the better screen because that seems like a slightly larger issue.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by balboski05 View Post
    As the previous people have already subjected, 4 Primes, you are being picky.
    Since nobody wants to comment on my point, which is that there seems to be a different (and inferior) screen used on newer Primes, and would rather attack me for being "picky," I'll defend myself here:

1. First Prime purchased (Gray, Best Buy):
    - haptic feedback didn't work (just made a noise, couldn't be turned off completely).
    - had a very loud rattle near one of the dock connectors; something inside was clearly broken loose and moving around
    - right side of the screen was lifted away from the metal, clicked when held, seemed to be a gap where dust might get under the screen

2. Second Prime purchased (Champagne, Abt Electronics):
    - Chemical stain on the back plate underneath the camera and LED, as if a caustic material seeped out during manufacture; very unattractive
    - haptic feedback didn't work (just made a noise, couldn't be turned off completely)
    - right side of the screen not secure, clicked when held, not as bad as the previous one in this respect
    - speakers crackled at anything greater than 75% volume (probably the worst thing about it; made it unusable)

3. Third Prime purchased (Gray, Best Buy):
    - SIGNIFICANT light bleed on right side, visible on all but the lightest screens, the definition of "bad" light bleed; bad enough to interfere with legibility of UI elements
    - screen had a distinctly yellow cast (whites were a dingy yellow), colors washed out, text almost illegible in many uses cases (e.g., Web browsing), not as bright

4. Fourth Prime purchased (Gray, HH Gregg): (and note, I'd LOVE to love this one; I got it for $399)
    - haptic feedback doesn't work (just makes a noise, can't be turned off completely)
    - screen has a distinctly yellow cast (whites are a dingy yellow), colors washed out, text almost illegible in many uses cases (e.g., Web browsing), not as bright

Seriously, am I being "picky" by not accepting these units?

You'll note that I didn't mention any of the following:

1. GPS: I accept that it's not functional for navigation. Not a problem, ASUS is dropping that from their marketing, I can live without it.
    2. Wifi: Mine is definitely weaker than, say, my original Transformer, but it works well enough for my uses. Haven't run into a situation where it won't maintain a connection. So, I can live with that.
    3. Haptic feedback: If I could turn it all the way off so that it never made the funky ducklike noise, I'd accept it not working as well. However, even if you turn off in settings, it still tries to vibrate when you, e.g., select a picture in the Gallery and select items on home screens. So, it's unavoidable and bothersome. Still, I wouldn't return for that reason alone.
    4. BT/wifi: I think all devices have some degradation of wifi bandwidth when streaming to Bluetooth devices. So, I think the Prime is better than some and worse than others. Nothing I can't live with.

So, there are four areas where I'm willing to accept a "non-perfect" device. However, the screen issues I note on Primes #3 and #4 in this list are simply not acceptable. I placed one of them side-by-side with some other devices, and here's what they look like:

- Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1: Way too cold (whites are bluish), colors blown out
    - Original Transformer: Not as cold as the GT 10.1, whites closer to true, decent colors; overall a very good screen in my opinion
    - Prime with "good" screen: A bit warmer than the OG Transformer, very nice whites, great colors, outstanding brightness. Overall an EXCELLENT screen.
    - Prime with "bad" screen: Yellow cast to everything. Whites a dingy yellow. Colors washed out. Not as bright. Text not very sharp. Looks absolutely HORRIBLE next to the other three devices. Worse than the screen on the Xoom I bought on launch day, and THAT was a bad screen.

Seriously, if you folks think I'm being "picky" here, then I honestly can't relate to your perspective. Some things really ARE defective, and shouldn't be accepted. It's not my fault that ASUS shipped these units, and it's not me that's driving up costs.

I've defended ASUS myself, quite strongly. Check out my arguments at the XDA forums; I'm considered one of the ASUS fanboys. So, there's no reason to attack me and accuse me of being unreasonable when I'm pointing out an issue that others might want to keep an eye out for.

Bottom line: anyone who gets a unit with this "bad" screen on it is simply NOT getting the real Prime experience. It really is that bad.
    Last edited by wynand32; 01-24-2012 at 11:41 AM.
    THUNDERBOLT likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jflikk View Post
    I understand what you are saying. I wonder if you can contact Asus directly about the screen manufacturer and whether they have been switched in newer models. I do realize you were just description the screens and not complaining about them, i think it isn't quit rude that people are attacking you. I would probably keep the first ones with the better screen because that seems like a slightly larger issue.
    Thanks for that. Note the other issues with that unit, unfortunately. I'm getting in touch with ASUS to see what's up...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links