Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: serial unknown - new information

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

serial unknown - new information

Below is an update for serial number unknown by Gary Keys - technical marketing manager. Although sadly asus technical support is not aware of any fix..... they don't even know about the serial unknown. I find that remarkable, that you have a support department who isn't abreast of the top issues the customers are facing.... I guess I will try option 1 - the email.

1/23/12 Update -

For North American users with the Serial Number Not Found problem that we have not directly contacted during the replication testing cycle we ask that you please send the following information to tablet@asus.com :

Subject: <TF201 SN Not Found Your Contact Name>

Body:
    Name: Your Customer Name
    Phone: A contact phone number
    Email: Your Email address
    SN#: Your TF201 Serial Number

Or you can call our North American Hotline at 1-888-678-3688

A customer care representative or technician will take your information, confirm the status of the serial number on our server, ask you to walk through a short procedure to correct the problem. If this fix does not work they will walk you through the next series of steps to correct it.

Note - For those users who provided this information already based on direct contact from us, you will be notified shortly. For those users who provided their serial numbers but were not contacted by us for further testing you will need to either send the email above or call the hotline. We sincerely apologize about this inconvenience but your TF201 will be fixed shortly.

Gir
    Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Recommend this to be stickied until resolved.
    lopezco likes this.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    999 times
    The thread has been stuck
    lopezco likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    This is definately important, Thanks for sharing, OP!

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    495 times
    I hate to break it to you guys, but based on my experience with tech departments in these companies, it is standard practice to deny knowing the problem if there is no fix for it yet.

Case in point. About two years ago, I was curious enough about the augen gentouch tablets to go out and get one. Long story short, I figured out that every single gentouch had the exact same mac address. I went online and holy cow everybody was reporting the exact same mac address on their device. So, I called augen and talked with their tech department. The guy denied ever having heard about this so-called issue. I found it strange that they were completely oblivious to this. So, I called again, again, again, and again and each and every time the rep denied ever hearing anything about this issue. I actually spoke to a same person twice, and both times he denied ever hearing about this issue.

May be a week or two after, they sent out an OTA update and fixed this problem.

No, I don't actually know that they do this as standard practice. But the pattern is there. It seems that the standard practice when confronted with a problem they don't have a solution for is to deny knowing about it.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    I hate to break it to you guys, but based on my experience with tech departments in these companies, it is standard practice to deny knowing the problem if there is no fix for it yet.

Case in point. About two years ago, I was curious enough about the augen gentouch tablets to go out and get one. Long story short, I figured out that every single gentouch had the exact same mac address. I went online and holy cow everybody was reporting the exact same mac address on their device. So, I called augen and talked with their tech department. The guy denied ever having heard about this so-called issue. I found it strange that they were completely oblivious to this. So, I called again, again, again, and again and each and every time the rep denied ever hearing anything about this issue. I actually spoke to a same person twice, and both times he denied ever hearing about this issue.

May be a week or two after, they sent out an OTA update and fixed this problem.

No, I don't actually know that they do this as standard practice. But the pattern is there. It seems that the standard practice when confronted with a problem they don't have a solution for is to deny knowing about it.
    Dude, I do not doubt your story, in essence nor do I deny what your hypothesis that companies deny issues when fixes are not available. What confused the hell out of me was the resolution on that other tablet. If the Mac addresses were all the same, (and if order for that to happen an incredible amount of incredibly stupid people doing multiple stupid things would need to occur, in fact for the life of me, the only way I can envision it happening, and further not being caught in manufacture, boggles the mind) how exactly would they DO an OTA? when an OTA, for the most part (unless its a 3G device with an IMEI) REQUIRES a mac address to even work. There's no other way to communicate with the devices.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartassphone View Post
    Dude, I do not doubt your story, in essence nor do I deny what your hypothesis that companies deny issues when fixes are not available. What confused the hell out of me was the resolution on that other tablet. If the Mac addresses were all the same, (and if order for that to happen an incredible amount of incredibly stupid people doing multiple stupid things would need to occur, in fact for the life of me, the only way I can envision it happening, and further not being caught in manufacture, boggles the mind) how exactly would they DO an OTA? when an OTA, for the most part (unless its a 3G device with an IMEI) REQUIRES a mac address to even work. There's no other way to communicate with the devices.
    You clearly have no idea what a MAC address is. And it is incredibly simple for a manufacturer to just set the same MAC address for all devices by accident. This would not even be a problem if you never have two devices on the same LAN at a time but obviously it's a poor design and clearly a flaw. The only reason you would need a different MAC address to do an OTA update is if the server pushing the update checks it (so that's just a design issue that you can't really generalize). MAC address - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sorry I just had to register to post this
    (Source: I'm a computer engineer)
    Swipe likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Guys - Just wanted to give my two cents. I am in India and got my TF201 two days from my friend who was coming here. As soon as I got it I tried registering this with ASUS website. It did not recognize the serial. I had already setup my google account and nothing else on the prime. So I did a reset and restore and setup the tab again. Then I went to the website to register again. This time I was successful. I waited some time (to gather courage) and then did the firmware update. It updated flawlessly. This worked for me so If somebody wants to try this they can as this is totally harmless..

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    HI. I tried to register a UK-bought TF101 and was not able to - Serial unknown. Gave up.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    2 times
    Just my .02...

I have bought a lot of ASUS products over the years, probably in the thousands (I use to co-own a boutique computer assembler) one of the nicest things I ever found out was that I literally drive by the laptop repair center for North America twice a day, going to and from the office... I have to assume they will be handling tablets as well, but long story short the guys have *ALWAYS* been spot on! I delve through the mindless script bunnies that answer the phone til I get a real tech, then discuss the problem, generally drop off the system the next morning (I have like 8 asus laptops in my house, and something like 20 more at my office, so a repair about every 3 months because evidently my staff preps out for picking up their laptops by liberaly applying butter to fingers first) and about 65-70% of the time I can pick up the repaired unit the next night. I imagine if you don't have the same commute I do it would involve some type of shipper, but asus support beats the crud out of anything I have ever had that did not include a large percentage of purchase price field service agreement.

--L
    Swipe and starchief like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads