Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 14theroad

Thread: Tablet vs Dock charging problem?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Tablet vs Dock charging problem?

I finally got my Prime's dock. Before this, I had no trouble charging the tablet using the power connector...and if the tablet is connected to the dock, it connects, but it doesn't appear the dock is charging the tablet. When I have the dock connected to the tablet and then connect the power cord to the dock, it shows the dock and tablet are being charged, but if I disconnect the power cord from the dock, the indication is that the tablet stops being charged. Is there something I'm doing wrong? SHouldn't the tablet get charged from the dock whenever it is connected...and not just when the power cord is attached?

I also have a TF101 and dock...when I connect the tablet to the dock, the dock charges the tablet, so it seems to me something is wrong.

TIA
    Last edited by PNGento; 01-19-2012 at 02:09 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    202 times
    Hi,

I do not think from what I have read that you are comparing like with like.

I think the Prime charges differently, or maybe just a change in ICS

As I understand it, it now allows the tablet to discharge a bit before re-charging from the dock.

I would suggest sticking with it, and see what has changed, as long as they both charge OK in the end!
    ASUS Transformer 16GB TAB B60, DOCK B60
    Build Number:- IML74K.WW_epad-9.2.1.27-20120615
    Mobile Dock Version:- EP101-0213

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    The tablet needs to be down to around 70% or so before it will show charging by way of the dock alone.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    ASUS changed the way the TF201+dock handles charging.

The setup will use the tablet battery until it gets down to 70%. Then the dock will charge the tablet battery back to 90%. This will repeat until the dock battery gets to about 5% and then it will use the tablet battery until it is drained.

This is to help the constant cycling of the dock battery only that happens on the TF101 and help both batteries last for more charges (allegedly).

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PNGento View Post
    I finally got my Prime's dock. Before this, I had no trouble charging the tablet using the power connector...and if the tablet is connected to the dock, it connects, but it doesn't appear the dock is charging the tablet. When I have the dock connected to the tablet and then connect the power cord to the dock, it shows the dock and tablet are being charged, but if I disconnect the power cord from the dock, the indication is that the tablet stops being charged. Is there something I'm doing wrong? SHouldn't the tablet get charged from the dock whenever it is connected...and not just when the power cord is attached?

I also have a TF101 and dock...when I connect the tablet to the dock, the dock charges the tablet, so it seems to me something is wrong.

TIA
    The charging on Prime is better than on TF101. The tablet uses its own battery when it is maxed out and will be charged to maximum again once it falls near 70% from the keyboard. Now that means that sometimes you are in a situation where - despite dock being full - your tablet has only 70% battery, but if you want to make sure tablet is 100% then you should just charge the tablet from the outlet, not from the dock.

Basically what it is doing is better battery management, your battery lasts longer like this because it has to jump less in charging and discharging.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you everyone. Nice to know that this simply works different from the TF101. I did notice that the power control section shows both dock and tablet power levels, so apparently that is different as well. I can live with this change now that I know it is the way it is supposed to be.

But, I have to question if this is "better battery management". If I understand how charge/recharging cycles work, a rechargeable battery has a finite number of cycles it can go through. While this method may share the recycling among both batteries, I would rather the tablet battery undergo fewer cycles than the dock since it is the more pricey item. Since I don't know if the battery on either item is replaceable, I'd rather have to replace the dock than the tablet should it be that the battery cycling life comes to an end.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    202 times
    I think you will have probably upgraded before your batteries are an issue, so just enjoy it
    Frederuco likes this.
    ASUS Transformer 16GB TAB B60, DOCK B60
    Build Number:- IML74K.WW_epad-9.2.1.27-20120615
    Mobile Dock Version:- EP101-0213

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times

If you recharge daily, it is estimated that it will take 3 - 5 years to notice a large difference in battery life (~25% loss) from the articles I have read.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links