Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Question Use mobile phone to connect to internet on Eee Pad

Can anyone help me please?

Can I use my iphone (bluetooth?) to provide a 'router' to the internet for my Eee Pad (TF201) when I do not have wireless access.

Although I have considered myself computer literate up to now, I feel my knowledge is so limited when it comes to pads, synching, web storage etc. so would really appreciate some help.

Thanks! Anita

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I don't believe you can use Bluetooth. But some phones (ex. my Samsung Galaxy S) allow you to set up a Wifi hotspot or USB Tether to other devices. This would be in the wireless/network settings somewhere. Some phone carriers disable this unless on your phone (if you bought it through them) unless you pay extra for it in your plan though.

Edit: apologies.. I stand corrected on Bluetooth, and didn't think about jailbreaking getting around the phone carrier locking of the tether feature.
    Last edited by cstooch; 01-17-2012 at 11:44 PM.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2667 times
    If you have an iPhone 3Gs or newer, and have a tethering plan from your provider you can set up the personal hotspot to use via bluetooth.

Also, if you jailbreak and get a tethering app this is also an option.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    72 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita View Post
    Can anyone help me please?

Can I use my iphone (bluetooth?) to provide a 'router' to the internet for my Eee Pad (TF201) when I do not have wireless access.

Although I have considered myself computer literate up to now, I feel my knowledge is so limited when it comes to pads, synching, web storage etc. so would really appreciate some help.

Thanks! Anita
    THis worked for me and required no software and no rooting. I am using a DROID X and the Transformer connects perfectly to my 3G (I do have unlimited data, so its not an issue...) I do NOT know if it will work with the iPhone, but it cant hurt to try!

This is copied as it is from AndroidCentral Forum. It was posted there by user Newton1221. Just substitute XOOM with Transformer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a HOW-TO guide that details how to bluetooth tether your Android phone's internet to your Motorola XOOM without using any applications or rooting your phone. If done properly you should have your Android phone and XOOM connected via bluetooth and the XOOM should be using your Android phone's internet.

Please post if it works for you, and also say what phone you are using.

Devices confirmed to work:
    Droid 2 (Regular, R2D2, and Global)
    Droid X
    Droid Pro

This has been confirmed working on a few different devices now, it allows you to share your phone's internet with your XOOM without rooting your phone or needing any extra applications

1: on XOOM, go to settings>wireless & networks>tethering and portable hotspot and make sure that "Bluetooth Tethering" is UNCHECKED, this is NOT what we want

2: on XOOM, go to settings>wireless & networks> enable airplane mode

3: on XOOM, go to settings>wireless & networks> enable bluetooth

4: on your android phone, go to settings>wireless & networks (or equivalent)> enable bluetooth

5: Make sure that both devices are discoverable, so that they can see one another, should be in settings>wireless & networks>bluetooth settings

6: on XOOM, go to settings>wireless & networks>bluetooth settings>select your phone in order to pair it with your XOOM

7: a box should pop up on both devices, select Pair on both devices

8: on XOOM, once the pairing is complete (still inside bluetooth settings), select the phone, it should say paired but not connected underneath it

9: The two devices should connect, once connected there should be a wrench next to the connected device, clicking on this will show an option to tether, click this option if it is not automatically enabled

10: TA-DA, if it worked then in the bottom right hand corner of your XOOM should have two bluetooth icons, one should indicated that your bluetooth is turned on and the other should say bluetooth tethered, you are now using your phones internet data plan on your XOOM, aka not counting towards your xoom's data plan
    ASUS TF 101 32GB w/ 32GB SD, Dock, and 1TB External Drive

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times
    That works perfectly for me !
    I deactivated wifi on my Transformer prime and appraid it via bluetooth to my iPhone 4. The internet connection works fine.

Sorry the text on images is in french...

Image of my iPhone:
    iPhone.jpg

Image of my Transformer Prime:
    TransformerPrime.jpg

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks everyone! I have a connection via 'personal hotspot' for both wireless and bluetooth showing on my eee-pad , and my iphone shows 'Personal Hotspot: 1 Connection. When I go out away from my home wireless connection, I will see if I can connect to the internet. I really appreciate the help and will let you know if what I have done works.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    PS Just another thing I did last night following a friend's experience. They had trouble with the Telstra mobile Internet USB connecting their computers to the Internet. They found out that using Personal Hotspot and their iphone cable they could connect with the USB inserted in their computer. However, there is a disadvantage with this as I would always have to take the docking station for access to the USB.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Outlaw7,
    I have ICS on the prime and using an Atrix phone. Followed all the instructions and both my phone and prime just says paired but not connected. Status shows no internet connection. I am new to the prime and Android and very frustrating since I want to be able to use my prime when there is no wifi. Tried PDANET and same thing - both says connected but no data going in or out.

Don't know whether it is ICS or my Atrix phone. Don't want to pay extra for a tethering plan since I already am paying $30 to AT&T per month for my Atrix data plan.

Thank you

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I can connect to the internet using my iPhone 4 as a wifi hotspot.
    Most mobile networks in the UK charge extra for tethering, but I've had no extra charges so far with 3 Mobile (payg with unlimited data add on)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    How are you guys able to do this. I'm grandfathered in unlimited plan with verizon and want my iphone to tether 3g to my prime. When i try to use bluetooth the iphone says not supported. Please help

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads