Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Prime wifi tests and results with speednet

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times

Prime wifi tests and results with speednet

Hey peeps i have done some testing of my primes wifi as quite a few people are having different expieriences with it and im posting here in general discussion as it seems to have the most posts on wifi problems.

I have tried the 4 different settings "b,g,n,Auto " and found some strange and interesting results so check out the pictures.

These tests were at the router and in my lounge room " about 25-30 feet through 1 wall and lots of kitchen appliances :-)

Tests ran 3 passes on each setting.Also router is set to use channel 1 and wpa2 personal security.

These tests are on my Asus RT-N15 Router With the speed test app here https://market.android.com/details?i...cGVlZHRlc3QiXQ..

Edit:
    Also im on cable and my laptops wireless connection gets betweem 30-40 Mbs down at the same distance as the prime

So Grab the app above and test your prime and hopefully you can improve your speeds.

Here we go

Asus RT-15 Wireless B Router
    http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/...8-14-09-37.jpg

Asus RT-15 Wireless B Lounge
    http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/...8-14-08-02.jpg

Wireless B summary: Slow at router and lounge

Asus RT-15 Wireless G Router
    http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/...8-13-56-59.jpg

Asus RT-15 Wireless G Lounge
    http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/...8-13-51-18.jpg

Wireless G summary Fast at Router and still good signal at distance

Asus RT-15 Wireless AUTO Router
    http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/...8-13-45-38.jpg

Asus RT-15 Wireless AUTO Lounge
    http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/...8-13-42-35.jpg

Wireless Auto summary :Fastest at Router and Fast at distance Best setting for me

Asus RT-15 Wireless N Router
    http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/...8-13-20-38.jpg

Asus RT-15 Wireless N Lounge
    http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/...8-13-24-15.jpg

Wireless N summary :faster at the router but drops off Quickly at distance

Summary: Strangely wireless auto gives the best speed , as guides i have read say set it to N if you have it but N tests less than auto ? , not sure whats going on here but i will keep reading forums guides etc .

So grab the speednet app and post your results and hopefully it can help in improving your wifi expierience.

Edit : In general terms if you can just set it to auto and test it , then set it to wireless G and test again and keep the best one for you.

Note :
    The wireless b,g,n,auto settings must be set on your router , so login and make your changes and test it out.

Wireless B setting on router is the slowest

Wireless G setting on router gives better signal at range

Wireless Auto Setting is best for me " download speed at my usual distance 25-30 feet "
    Last edited by Twodogs; 01-18-2012 at 11:16 PM.
    Proud owner of an Asus Transformer Prime 32GB Champagne

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I ran it on mine. 22mbps down, 3mbps up. Very happy with that.

Wireless mode is 11b/g/n mixed mode if that makes sense
    Last edited by cstooch; 01-17-2012 at 10:12 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I received an email from Asus today after I complained about weak WiFi signals. They want me to send the prime to Ontario to rectify the problem. I phoned the support and they assured me they could fix the WiFi problem. Soooo they know there is a problem and they can fix it?????

Gir
    Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballyoran View Post
    I received an email from Asus today after I complained about weak WiFi signals. They want me to send the prime to Ontario to rectify the problem. I phoned the support and they assured me they could fix the WiFi problem. Soooo they know there is a problem and they can fix it?????
    In some other threads/forums even... Asus has mentioned that they have ID'd a bad wifi card. This makes a lot of sense considering the disparity some people are experiencing. If it's bad, send it back now, otherwise I'd wait and see how other peep's RMAs go.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    My best result after about 5 tries was only 5.79 down and 1.00 up; this was right next to my router too. I just got my TFP a couple days ago and beyond an iPod touch and a laptop, this is really my first wireless device. I have a Linksys wireless G router that is about 1 and a half years old (model WRT54G2). Should I be worried,thinking about writing Asus, thinking about buying a new router,or thinking about calling my internet provider?

Just curious if this is exceedingly low or what? Thanks in advance!

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Tragic:

You have to bear in mind what kind of internet connect you have. It showed 5.79 mbps, right? (as opposed to 5.79kbps, which is heinously awful)

Depending on your internet connection, that might not be bad at all.

For me, I have a 50 mbps connection (which is a pretty fast connection). I never get anywhere near that though. So for me, 22 mbps on my tablet via a router is great.

A lot of people have internet connections that are less than 10mbps.. and you won't ever max out your bandwidth. My guess is that 5.79 mbps is probably pretty normal for you. Definitely nothing wrong with 1mbps up.

I think we get ourselves too wrapped up in numbers though.. if you browse websites fairly quickly.. don't sweat it.

It also depends on what else is going on with your internet at the time (i.e. don't be doing testing while you're downloading music/movies on that or another device, for example).
    Last edited by cstooch; 01-17-2012 at 11:12 PM.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tragic View Post
    My best result after about 5 tries was only 5.79 down and 1.00 up; this was right next to my router too. I just got my TFP a couple days ago and beyond an iPod touch and a laptop, this is really my first wireless device. I have a Linksys wireless G router that is about 1 and a half years old (model WRT54G2). Should I be worried,thinking about writing Asus, thinking about buying a new router,or thinking about calling my internet provider?

Just curious if this is exceedingly low or what? Thanks in advance!
    This is all subjective to what speed your home internet is. If you have a 6 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload, you are great. Also, if someone is downloading files, it will change your speeds.

The OP was comparing speeds close to the router vs far from the router (and must have at least 25 Mbps down and about 5 Mbps upload).

If I hop on my 4G MiFi hotspot, I can see up to 26 Mbps down and 12 Mbps upload. But, to test it like the OP, I would have to go to the nearest spot to my router and then a spot further away and test it with different settings (B, G, N, Auto).

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I got 15MB download and 1MB upload. I have my router on the "mixed b/g/n" setting and I'm about 15 feet away with the signal going through one wall.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello all, I just wanted to post my results using speed test. I have Verizon fios wireless router. I'm getting 18.6Mbps Down and 17.5Mbps Up consistently.
    Just for comparison I ran speed test on my HTC EVO 3D right next to my Prime and was getting 17.7Mbps Down and 14.5Mbps Up.
    Last edited by ila970josh; 01-18-2012 at 06:19 AM.

Gir
    Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by N0VA View Post
    I got 15MB download and 1MB upload. I have my router on the "mixed b/g/n" setting and I'm about 15 feet away with the signal going through one wall.
    What did you get with another device?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links