Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Which Micro SD card did everyone buy?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Which Micro SD card did everyone buy?

I have been doing some research and there are so many different types of SD cards available, from different manufacturer, different class, different model, etc. Can everyone that bought an Micro SD card please list which one they bought and where and why? Links could be very helpful as well. I have been reading that for example, the class 4 micro sd actually transfers data faster than a class 10 if it is a small file but if you are moving larger files the class 10 is better. What are the pros and cons of each micro SD cards? Thanks in advance for the help.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I got the PNY Class 10 32MB Micro SD (with SD adapter). The main reason for the Class 10 was to keep up with video streaming. I had just gotten a GoPro Hero2 that required Class 10 for one of there capabilities (10 still pictures in one second), so I just stuck with that.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmooretx View Post
    I got the PNY Class 10 32MB Micro SD (with SD adapter). The main reason for the Class 10 was to keep up with video streaming. I had just gotten a GoPro Hero2 that required Class 10 for one of there capabilities (10 still pictures in one second), so I just stuck with that.
    So if i am trying to transfer an 8gb movie file to the micro sd, does class 10 make that much of a difference than class 4 in the rate of transfer or playability?

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    2 times
    well my prime havent arrived yet and i havent bought a micro SD for it yet, but i do have one for my cellphone.

there are 2 type of speeds, continuous read/write speed and random read/write speed (continuous for big files, random for small files)

higher class mean faster transfer rate, but all card start copying from 0 bytes up to 6,7,8,9,10 mb (depending on the speed of the card).

Example (to reach from 1byte to 10mb per second it takes lets say 5 sec, its not really this time, but this is to make an example):
    copying 1 file of 100mb
    it would take 5 secs to copy the first 10mb, then 10mb each second, that makes it 14 secs.

copying 10 files of 10mb each
    it would take 5 second to copy the first one, then for the second one, since its different, it would start from 1byte again, then another 5 secs and so on, taking 50 second to copy those 10 files that make it 100mb

so, its 14 secs Vs 50 secs

the higher class, the higher speed for transfering 1 big file.

some cards may be class 10, but performs worse than class 4 because their random write/read is lower than the class 4 ones, also some slots doesnt support class 10 cards, u could go with a class 6 and it will be good, but if you want the premium, u could get a class 10, but check their speeds too and reviews on what users says about them.

as for brands, i prefer name brands that gives me good warranty, i like Adata that gives lifetime warranty (i messed with a card and it was my fault that i broke it, then lied to them i was doing normal use and they replaced it for me xD), but there are other brands that make good SD cards, patriot, samsung and there are others, but i just dont remember, but u should check their reviews and check speed of those cards.

when i buy, i usually buy from tigerdirect (no tax for me) or newegg (i pay tax here), newegg has better customer service (almost excellent) while tiger direct from what i read not so good.

hope this helps you a little, also thats how i understand the class speeds based on experience with HDD, SSD and USB storage.

P90
    Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I bought mine from eBay 32gb sandisk class 4 and it's great
    ~~~Proud Owner Of~~~
    ~Transformer Prime~~Transformer Prime Dock~~iPhone 4~~Nook Color~~Gateway NV53 Laptop~
    ~Xbox 360~~iPad 2~~Fly Touch 3 Android Tablet~~Archos 43 Internet Tablet~~iPhone 3GS~

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    337 times
    I buy the highest class for the least amount of money. You just have to watch the sales.
    Kgs Original Transformer with dock- rooted (TF 101)- USA

nook & libre pro e-readers-asus vivobook- samsung orig. galaxy note- Galaxy Note 8- asus TF 101 and dock with 4.4 kitkat- Iphone 5s- galaxy Mega
    "Never be afraid to try, but always know where your back-up is when you screw up!"

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cybaek View Post
    So if i am trying to transfer an 8gb movie file to the micro sd, does class 10 make that much of a difference than class 4 in the rate of transfer or playability?
    yes, if you will transfer movies 8gb movies u should get class 10, but remember, if its 1 file of 8gb, then you need to format it in ntfs, if they are files of 2gb or less, u can leave it at fat32 (dont remember if its max 2 or 4gb for fat 32)

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Class 10 Samsung 32gb card with SD adapter and usb.
    iPhone 4S-CLI absinthe Jailbreak
    Asus Transformer Prime 32GB
    1.6Ghz (13322) PrimeTime
    v1.4

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    32 GB Sandisk class 4...works flawlessly with every movie I watch on it. Class 10..ppffttt...4 is where its at
    MikeM and Jamus0 like this.
    **Transformer Prime 32GB Champagne**
    **Transformer Prime 32GB Amethyst**
    **2 Amethyst Docks**

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Although I haven't received my card yet, I went with a 32GB class 4 Sandisk. I was gonna go with a class 10, but after I did a lot of reading reviews I changed my mind. There were several 32GB class 10 micro SD cards that had good reviews overall, but almost every one also had a disturbingly large number of poor reviews. Looking over those poor reviews, there were quite a few users who were having their cards fail after several months, or were getting data errors on their cards. When I looked at the 32GB full size SD cards, or the 16GB or smaller micro SD cards, I didn't see nearly the same rate of failures. In the end, I decided I was more comfortable getting a class 4.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links