Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Here is why we should all have a problem with the NEW TF700T

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times

Here is why we should all have a problem with the NEW TF700T

Let me start by saying my TF201 has been working well. Nothing to complain about. Sure the GPS thing is annoying but not a deal breaker and my wifi has been useable. I don't really care about benchmarks and other silly tests, just as long as in MY real world environment it does it's job. People who get bent out of shape over numbers kind of remind me of someone who's excited they have a car that can go 1500 miles per hour...umm what's the point whoopty doo you have space shuttle and all you needed was a Ford.

Here is why I feel we should ALL be upset by this announcement today. Attitude of Asus. No one seems to have mentioned in these threads that in order for this device to be announced and DEMOED today that Asus first and foremost acknowledged a problem that they tried to fervently deny and cover up.

When the "leak" came out about bad WiFi, Asus said "oh no no no it was only on 300 units in the first batch" When the inventory problems became obvious we got more excuses. We were then told that the GPS was not GPS but it's just called GPS. I assume it means Gooey Peanut Sauce. (Hmm I wonder if Android will ever come out with Peanut Butter, ah never mind too many people would be allergic).

I'm upset because in order to have this device at CES today that means they knew full well they had a problem device on their hands (overall) and they immediately began to work on an upgrade to "fix those problems", This means that the push to sell the TF201 was presumptuous at best.

i can imagine the board room meeting going something like this: "Ok Harry we may have to retract our release of the Prime" Harry: "Why? We know that the flocks of the world will buy this thing no matter what, go ahead and sell it. I already have the shop working on an upgraded model" "But Harry isn't that deceptive" Harry: "It may be but who cares, put some slightly enhanced specs on it charge a few dollars more and make it seem like we are keeping up with the competition" "but Harry we are our OWN competition" Harry: "oh crap, hmm you're right, well let's just hold off this upgrade for a few months, maybe do a summer thing, most people will forget by then"

I hate feeling lied to, and ultimately this has VERY LITTLE to do with "technology changing" as some have suggested. While in most cases that's true, I think it's painfully obvious that this is a case of greed and lack of respect for a customer base.

With that said, once again I AM happy with what I have, and I'll gladly buy the new as I tend to hand my "old tech" down to my wife. I can't imagine that this is the case for everyone though. I mean this thing has cost me more than my first car (bought in 1997 a 1987 Nissan rusted through for 300 bucks).

Asus my desire is that you confess your sins, make it right to those who have faithfully supported you in this release and at LEAST offer a trade in program for current prime owners. Condition current prime taken into consideration (perfect, good, fair, holy crap how did you do that in a few months) plus the price of inproved specs and taxes seems fair enough to me.

JF
    Last edited by PastorDroid; 01-09-2012 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Correction on facts

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Weren't the first batch issues regarding WiFi, not GPS?

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    Yes thank you for catching the error.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    27 times
    I agree with the OP. I personally think that an offer to send in the tablet and have the back cover replaced with one that's similar to the TF700 is reasonable.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    There is always something better around the corner, always... to play the waiting game means one will never have a device because they will be ready to purchase said tech device they don't pull the trigger because they have heard of the newest latest gadget going to released next month; wait and then the cycle starts all over again. This why I buy the best I can afford, that matches features I want, when I can. No waiting.

Also the TF700 isn't using a Tegra chip, and I believe the Tegra is the best mobile platform chip being produced currently. However, that can change over night too.

Senior Moderator Meritorious
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    902 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zubba View Post
    I agree with the OP. I personally think that an offer to send in the tablet and have the back cover replaced with one that's similar to the TF700 is reasonable.
    I certainly agree, just got through making that same suggestion in another thread http://www.transformerforums.com/for...ravated-2.html
    Asus Eee Pad TF101 (gave to wife); Samsung Galaxy Note 8 phone and tablet

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html
    Asus T100 Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    Quote Originally Posted by danknerd View Post
    There is always something better around the corner, always... to play the waiting game means one will never have a device because they will be ready to purchase said tech device they don't pull the trigger because they have heard of the newest latest gadget going to released next month; wait and then the cycle starts all over again. This why I buy the best I can afford, that matches features I want, when I can. No waiting.

Also the TF700 isn't using a Tegra chip, and I believe the Tegra is the best mobile platform chip being produced currently. However, that can change over night too.
    First I want to address the Tegra issue, every spec list I read says it has the Tegra 3.

Regarding the rest of your post, I agree with you to an extent about technology in general. The Samsung Galaxy SII is an improvement from the Samsung Galaxy. The iPhone throughout it's iterations has gotten better. However those (and others) are examples of changes with technologies.

Had samsung released the Galaxy S and people complained that the screen kept falling off because the glue they used was sub par, then samsung denied it but a month later released the Galaxy SII with new SUPER (amoled) Glue and leaving much of the device identical to it's counterpart I don't think ANYONE would say that it's a result of technology advancement.

This device is not a result of trying to keep up with Apple because for all intents and purposes TF201 defeats the iPad. Acer (even the A700) isn't competing either. Lenovo's dual core offering is still only in the bleachers but not on the field with the TF201. As far as rumored (with proof) and announced devices the TF201 was on it's on field, waiting for the competition. WHO then are they competing with with the TF700T other than themselves, and WHY would they compete with themselves other than a blatant disregard for quality control and an immediate cover up job?
    As far as I'm concerned (having owned other tabs) Asus had this corner COVERED. Great screen, thin, dock, power, sexiness...nothing other than "oh crap we screwed up" makes sense in this case IMO.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Number one reason i will never buy ASUS again this was my first purchase with them in years
    Here is why I feel we should ALL be upset by this announcement today. Attitude of Asus. No one seems to have mentioned in these threads that in order for this device to be announced and DEMOED today that Asus first and foremost acknowledged a problem that they tried to fervently deny and cover up.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    At first I was going to agree with the Op, then I thought about it for a bit. The prime has been out for over a month, with tons of complaints regarding certain aspects of it's designs. Primarily the wifi and gps, obviously. It really doesn't take that much effort to design a new backplate implementation that will increase performance for both wifi and gps. Now why they didn't catch these issues upon initial design of the Prime, that is another matter. Regarding this new model, they clearly want to make sure that everyone knows that they are addressing the physical issues that were not addressed with the current transformer (without obviously redesigning a new backplate and taking back thousands upon thousands of orders, replacing them, and sending them back? just not going to happen guys). So in a way, we all are getting mad at Asus listening to customer feedback about former/current products?

Yes it does peeve me that it will be out so soon, but that is really the way of the technology industry in general. The moment you buy that hardware it is technically "out of date". Think about how long kal-el was already available in "Demo" models before it actually came to available just last month in the Prime and you should have a better perspective on this...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jrpbulk View Post
    Number one reason i will never buy ASUS again this was my first purchase with them in years
    Actually, as far as I've understood, ASUS never denied issues with GPS. As mentioned earlier, first batch issues were related to WiFi, not GPS. Asus Taiwan did a press release on the GPS issue, and a patch was even pushed out to try and improve reception. Although this didn't resolve the issues, I wouldn't call this "fervently denying" an issue by any means.

Personally, I don't know why today's annoucement was such a surprise or why it's making people so worked up.

Other than GPS, current Prime owners bought the device with the specs listed. Also, there is no telling when the new device will ship. Yes we have a projected date of Q2, but look at all the delays with the original Prime.
    ne0ge0 and m0lasses like this.

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links