Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Finally Bought Something But Not a ASUS Prime !

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times

Finally Bought Something But Not a ASUS Prime !

I have a 18.4" Laptop that's about 9 months old which I love and it's a Beauty. It's also not very comfortable
    on my lap for when I just feel like surfing the net and other minor things . I also got tired of
    playing games on my cell phone.

The ASUS Prime would have been the perfect match for me as it would have been my first Tablet
    and I was so excited upon it's release.

I wanted the 64GB in Champagne but as you all know it wasn't to be and I couldn't wait any longer.

So I bought a Kindle Fire which is only $200 bucks Plus I needed a real E-reader that's not hard on the eyes
    and the Fire fits that bill. I do the audio books via Amazon's Audible Books but not all
    books can be found on Audible or you have to wait for that format to be released so a great E-Reader is something I wanted anyway. It will also make my NYC Train commute much more bearable

Plus I can surf and play some games and be comfy with the Fire at home without
    having to constantly adjust my Laptop .

The Fire will hold me over til ASUS releases it's newer models this year and I will for sure
    be buying one because I want a bigger screen and 3G would be so nice along with ICS and just
    better over all specs.

In the end it didn't make sense to me to spend $600 plus tax for a Tablet that might
    not perform correctly and having to wait for it was the icing on the cake.

I just got tired of playing "Whack The Mole" in trying to get a Prime.

TO ASUS...I will be back but if you aren't on the ball
    with the upcoming releases I will take my $ to another company !

PS: Next Day Delivery so my Kindle Fire will be here Tomorrow (Saturday) and I'm off Monday
    so I have 3 Days to play with my Kindle Fire and So Looking Forward to it on the Comfy of my
    Couch !

Goodluck to everyone still waiting for their prime..I hope you all get your hands
    on one soon .
    Last edited by THUNDERBOLT; 01-06-2012 at 01:48 PM.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    what laptop?

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jrpbulk View Post
    what laptop?
    acer 8943g

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    202 times
    Quote Originally Posted by THUNDERBOLT View Post
    acer 8943g
    I have the 8920G 18.4" display which is older but still awesome, with Blue Ray etc.

But I find I hardly ever use it since I got my TF-101 except for in the evenings now and again typing on this forum.

The TF-101 is now my daily.

Lugging the Acer is not an option IMHO!
    THUNDERBOLT likes this.
    ASUS Transformer 16GB TAB B60, DOCK B60
    Build Number:- IML74K.WW_epad-9.2.1.27-20120615
    Mobile Dock Version:- EP101-0213

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    27 times
    You can't beat the price at $200.00, but when I found out how much functionality Amazon stripped out of it, and basically just turned it into a funnel for Amazon content, I was turned off. And I could be mistaken, but it doesn't have the E-ink display which is what makes reading on an electronic device so much more comfortable. It's just a backlit LCD, which is the same as reading material on any other computer.
    Last edited by zubba; 01-06-2012 at 03:24 PM.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zubba View Post
    You can't beat the price at $200.00, but when I found out how much functionality Amazon stripped out of it, and basically just turned it into a funnel for Amazon content, I was turned off. And I could be mistaken, but it doesn't have the E-ink display which is what makes reading on an electronic device so much more comfortable. It's just a backlit LCD, which is the same as reading material on any other computer.
    Yes it's backlit my mistake....Anyway I don't care (can always dim it) I spend many hours
    reading forums and I belong to many forums so a few sessions
    of reading books when i have time won't be too bad. I do audible most of the time anyway.

It will do the job until ASUS gets the ball rolling.

I'm happy ..be happy for me
    ghettoyungin718 likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Seems like a wise choice to me. So many get caught up in the moment and convince themselves that everything is wonderful because the have the latest and greatest, whether it performs up to par or not.

Those who are happy with their choice, good luck. I hope it works out for you. But I was disappointed, even though the Prime is a sleek, beautiful device. I guess I just expected more. If it had been all it was advertised to be, I would have been a happy camper. But, the way Asus has handled things has left a really bad taste in my mouth!

Anyway, I've returned mine and am anxious to see what appears at the CES next week. There are lots of rumors, and the Acer A700 looks interesting!
    THUNDERBOLT likes this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by thomslik View Post
    Seems like a wise choice to me. So many get caught up in the moment and convince themselves that everything is wonderful because the have the latest and greatest, whether it performs up to par or not.

Those who are happy with their choice, good luck. I hope it works out for you. But I was disappointed, even though the Prime is a sleek, beautiful device. I guess I just expected more. If it had been all it was advertised to be, I would have been a happy camper. But, the way Asus has handled things has left a really bad taste in my mouth!

Anyway, I've returned mine and am anxious to see what appears at the CES next week. There are lots of rumors, and the Acer A700 looks interesting!
    Thanks for the support

Yes...I was looking at the leaked specs for the ACER A700 myself and it sure does look good. Hope they
    don't screw up like ASUS did with the prime.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Too little too late?

Quote Originally Posted by THUNDERBOLT View Post
    I have a 18.4" Laptop that's about 9 months old which I love and it's a Beauty. It's also not very comfortable
    on my lap for when I just feel like surfing the net and other minor things . I also got tired of
    playing games on my cell phone.

The ASUS Prime would have been the perfect match for me as it would have been my first Tablet
    and I was so excited upon it's release.

I wanted the 64GB in Champagne but as you all know it wasn't to be and I couldn't wait any longer.

So I bought a Kindle Fire which is only $200 bucks Plus I needed a real E-reader that's not hard on the eyes
    and the Fire fits that bill. I do the audio books via Amazon's Audible Books but not all
    books can be found on Audible or you have to wait for that format to be released so a great E-Reader is something I wanted anyway. It will also make my NYC Train commute much more bearable

Plus I can surf and play some games and be comfy with the Fire at home without
    having to constantly adjust my Laptop .

The Fire will hold me over til ASUS releases it's newer models this year and I will for sure
    be buying one because I want a bigger screen and 3G would be so nice along with ICS and just
    better over all specs.

In the end it didn't make sense to me to spend $600 plus tax for a Tablet that might
    not perform correctly and having to wait for it was the icing on the cake.

I just got tired of playing "Whack The Mole" in trying to get a Prime.

TO ASUS...I will be back but if you aren't on the ball
    with the upcoming releases I will take my $ to another company !

PS: Next Day Delivery so my Kindle Fire will be here Tomorrow (Saturday) and I'm off Monday
    so I have 3 Days to play with my Kindle Fire and So Looking Forward to it on the Comfy of my
    Couch !

Goodluck to everyone still waiting for their prime..I hope you all get your hands
    on one soon .
    ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime TF201-C1-CG 10.1" Android Tablet with NVIDIA Tegra 3 Quad-Core CPU, 1GB DDR2, 64GB Flash - BJ's Wholesale Club

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    111 times
    Hi:

@Thunderbolt, congrats on your Kindle/laptop purchases. I hope they work well for you. I have a TF101 and am setting up a Prime 32gb CG for my sister. At the moment both are running Honeycomb, both have a similar setup and both perform largely the same. I'll be keeping my sister's Prime until after the ICS update so perhaps at that time, it will have a different feel.

Any Android tablet needs lots of setup time to gather a useful and fun set of apps. My sister's prime has no obvious problems and I despite the lamentable distribution problems between both Asus and suppliers, Best Buy et all, I'm still happy with the frequency of updates from Asus. I have a Samsung Epic Sprint cell phone and you get one update to Gingerbread, only after it was obsolete. I'm glad that the TF101 will be getting ICS as well.

Android is still in the early stages of development as an OS, Android fragmentation is the rule and there isn't a lot of structure in the wild-wild west. The challange with any tablet is forging order through the chaos. I'll be sticking with Asus.

Tom
    32gb Transformer 101 & 201 with dock
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Palm T/X
    eee 1215 netbook
    Nexus 7 32gb

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links