Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Anandtech: "ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime GPS Issue Explained"

Now they test GPS...

Article excerpts (link to full article below):

"Depending on the environmental conditions the Transformer Prime's GPS reception can range from slightly worse than the original Transformer to completely unusable. This is a side effect of the Prime's aluminum construction. For whatever reason ASUS decided against including a plastic RF "window" in the Prime's design that would have improved GPS reception without sacrificing the majority of the tablet's aluminum construction. If I had to guess, I'd say ASUS probably didn't view GPS reception as a significant enough feature of the Transformer Prime to warrant a design change to improve its performance. It's also worth noting that the Prime's target design competitor, the iPad 2, doesn't offer GPS support in the WiFi version. It's only in the 3G models that GPS is offered.

There are obvious benefits to an all aluminum device construction, however it does present some interesting technical challenges when it comes to wireless interfaces. I have to say that Apple's solution in this case (a plastic RF window) makes a lot of sense and I hope to see something similar used in future ASUS designs. "

Source: Anandtech

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Now how easy would it be to make a homemade plastic RF window to go over the wifi antennas?

A question for GoodIntentions methinks!

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    This, to me, is a deal-breaker. I NEED geolocation.

Aluminium is, as any shoplifter knows, just about the best metal you can use to block radio signals. What Asus could do is put a microstrip patch antenna on the body. The embedded Asus logo on the body is continuous: that would work.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    What I find most bizarre is that Asus didn't design the cover to be one huge antenna itself. That way, rather than having crap wifi, it could have fantastic wifi with the best antenna on the market. The tech for that has been around for at least a decade.

Not enough joined up thinking.

Or what about a link from the inside to the outside so that one could add an antenna in poor wifi conditions?

Kaj
    Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rexluna View Post
    What I find most bizarre is that Asus didn't design the cover to be one huge antenna itself. That way, rather than having crap wifi, it could have fantastic wifi with the best antenna on the market. The tech for that has been around for at least a decade.

Not enough joined up thinking.

Or what about a link from the inside to the outside so that one could add an antenna in poor wifi conditions?
    I think that would probably result in antenna-gate a-la-iPhone 4?

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    My Prime seems to geolocate pretty well. I made a rant on a previous post earlier today that the weather widgets would not find my location. It turned out to be my error and had reauthenticate my credentials to access my works wifi. I may be using assisted GPS which if so works generally well. Turn by turn navigation has issues....but not a deal breaker for me. Google maps has been able to pretty much able to locate me anywhere that I have been.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
    Transformer Prime TF201 - Amethyst Gray 64GB w/ICS.
    Droid X - Rooted

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    20 times
    Is asus using iphone qa people for testing?

Seroiusly though... did I correctly read yesterdays asus announcement that gps was so bad they are removing it from all prime ads/ literature but also by the article it will still be in the primes but essentially not work worth a crap.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    yeah from what i saw they are taking the mention out. TBH it's not a big issue with me. I have my phone which has gps as does my wife and kids so if one of us can't get turn by turn navigation with them it's not a big deal. TBH the kids will likely be using it anyway on trips so the GPS issue isn't a deal breaker.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jl92880 View Post
    My Prime seems to geolocate pretty well. I made a rant on a previous post earlier today that the weather widgets would not find my location. It turned out to be my error and had reauthenticate my credentials to access my works wifi. I may be using assisted GPS which if so works generally well. Turn by turn navigation has issues....but not a deal breaker for me. Google maps has been able to pretty much able to locate me anywhere that I have been.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
    Sounds like your Prime geo-locates pretty well only when connected to a wifi network. What if you're out and about and need to find something? Even just to pull up a map of your surroundings? Could it do it without an active WiFi connection?

EDIT - I ask because as of now - I can't get the GPS to lock on ANYTHING at all. In fact, the only app that seems to work is Google Maps - but ONLY when I'm connected to WiFi - as soon as I turn that off, it can't find location data.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Let me try and turn WiFi off. You are probably right, GPS prob. will not work since it looks like i'm using WiFi Assisted GPS. No biggie, I most likely use my TFP where there is wireless access. If no wifi access and I need
    directions I'll use my Droid X. If I want to use WiFi and no wireless then I'll use WiFi Tether to my TFP from my Droid X.
    Transformer Prime TF201 - Amethyst Gray 64GB w/ICS.
    Droid X - Rooted

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links