Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: ICS on January 12 - Bootloader unlock possible?

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times

ICS on January 12 - Unlock Bootloader - Confirmed

Just saw this over at XDA forums:

From Facebook:

Elrex Yeoh: ASUS Taiwan just released an official statement, which covers some aspects we would really love to know:
    1) ICS will be pushed to devices around the world on Jan 12th
    2) GPS problem is mainly due to the aluminium backplate on the device. they won't be able to do much about it, that's why they removed the GPS from the specs on various sites to avoid causing any misunderstandings among users.
    3) BOOTLOADER: they won't unlock the bootloader, and the purpose of locked bootloader is to support media renting service on the device and its stability. BUT, they are working on releasing a bootloader unlocking tool for those users who would like to unlock it. however, the use of this unlocker tool wil void the warranty immediately.

source: https://www.facebook.com/asusclub.tw
    Last edited by parasomia; 01-03-2012 at 11:01 AM.
    ModestMuse, jrpbulk and jl92880 like this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Good stuff. 1 week to ICS, I really hope the update is everything we hope it will be!

I'm happy with their stance on bootloader as well. Pretty much the same solution that HTC did.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    11 times
    Wonder if the 101 update will follow suit, if not soon after??

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Thanks @para

Interesting but very understandable the metal interferes with the GPS and other external RF. No product is perfect but we demand them to get to market and ship our primes now and obviously total burn-in testing is not done.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jrpbulk View Post
    burn-in testing is not done.
    burn-in testing?
    the gps issues sounds to me, that they have not tested the gps at all

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Is there any way nvidia is responsible for the lockeddown or deserves any blame?

I would think that ASUS made that decision on its own.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    @matt you may be right

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Here, this makes more sense:

Thank you very much... | Facebook

"Thank you very much for all of the support you have given to ASUS. Eee Pad Transformer Prime received excellent reviews and great demand when it launched in December 2011. Now, we are continuing to make the Transformer Prime available in the worldwide market, and doing our best to fulfill the incredible demand. ASUS strives to create the best products and provide the best service for our customers, and will be releasing an FOTA update for the Transformer Prime shortly. This update, version 8.8.3.33, will improve the focus of the camera, the fluidity of the touch experience, and the APK capabilities in Android Market.

ASUS has been working hard to make the highly anticipated Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich available on the Transformer Prime, and today, we have good news for you. Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich FOTA worldwide update for the Transformer Prime will start from Jan 12th, 2012. Thank you for your patience and support through this process.

In addition, we would like to address your concerns related to GPS and bootloader on the Transformer Prime.

The ASUS Transformer Prime is made from a metallic unibody design, so the material may affect the performance of the GPS when receiving signals from satellites. Please note that this product is not a professional GPS device, and signal performance can be easily influenced by factors including, but not limited to: weather, buildings, and surrounding environments. Please understand there are limitations when using the GPS function. To avoid inconveniencing users who demand a powerful GPS device, we made the decision to remove it from our specification sheet and marketing communications. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Regarding the bootloader, the reason we chose to lock it is due to content providers' requirement for DRM client devices to be as secure as possible. ASUS supports Google DRM in order to provide users with a high quality video rental experience. Also, based on our experience, users who choose to root their devices risk breaking the system completely. However, we know there is demand in the modding community to have an unlocked bootloader. Therefore, ASUS is developing an unlock tool for that community. Please do note that if you choose to unlock your device, the ASUS warranty will be void, and Google video rental will also be unavailable because the device will be no longer protected by security mechanism.

Thank you for all the understanding and support for the ASUS Transformer Prime. Happy New Year!"

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Got the tweet here from ASUS on 1/12/12 being the official Ice Cream Sandwich update coming for the Prime.

I believe we'll see the TF101 Transformer get in within 2 weeks thereafter.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    14 times
    This is all good news to me.

Lack of GPS functionality is not an issue for me ... would have bought the Prime, even if it had no GPS.

I will unlock my bootloader as soon as they release the tool, so I can root and put on custom roms. Perhaps custom roms will not be necessary with ICS, but, on my past devices, custom roms have greatly improved performance ... and, best of all, custom roms have increased my devices' useful lifetimes.

Looking forward to January 12...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links