• 2 Post By kyp275
  • 1 Post By opentoe

Thread: BB says in store sales of Asus Transformer Prime will not be available

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

BB says in store sales of Asus Transformer Prime will not be available

I purchased a 16gb TF101 for my main squeeze for christmas. Of course, BB didnt have the prime in stock so I settled on this with the intention of returning this for the prime. The associate at Best Buy was cool with this and because of XMas theyve extended the return dates for electronics till the end of jan..

Just for S&G's, we went by BB today to see if they happen to have any Primes in stock.. According to the associate, he stated that all pre-orders will be fullfilled, however due to the cease & desist from Hasbro, they will not be selling these due to a trademark infringement on the 'transformer prime'.

DailyTech - Hasbro Sues ASUS Over "Transformer" Trademark

Hasbro files lawsuit against Asus over Transformer Prime name

I havent called BB customer service to confirm but do you think this is a stall tactic being used by BB? Im kinda ticked off ...the deal was to have this one for xmas since Asus is half step'n on deliveries of this product and return it before we're a$$ out on being able to return this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Had a feeling that this suit had something to do with this screw up. I spoke about this on the BB forums. How did ASUS think this wouldn't happen?

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    There hasn't been a single court injunction.

Asus, which showed off its tablet at a trade show last January, got a cease-and-desist letter soon thereafter, and then heard nothing for nearly a year, was nearly caught off guard by the sudden litigation flurry. But last week, the company submitted court papers with the intention to slow down the lawsuit, which it says was filed abusively by Hasbro during holiday season so as to hamper a response. In making efforts to slow down the lawsuit, Asus also signaled how it intends to fight claims of trademark infringement and unfair competition.

Asus points out that Hasbro only filed a registration for a trademark for "Transformers Prime" in April, 2010, and that the United States Patent & Trademark Office hasn't yet granted it. Asus further states that the toy manufacturer hasn't yet sold merchandise on the mark yet. According to the papers, the merchandise is said to be coming in March.

Asus is primed to argue that that its use of "transformer" is descriptive. After the computer company received Hasbro's first cease-and-desist letter early last year, it responded by telling Hasbro that the trademark didn't cover Asus' use of the word to show consumers what the Eee Pad tablet does.
    Does Hasbro Have a Strong Trademark on 'Transformers'? (Analysis) - Hollywood Reporter

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The stock checker for Best Buy has set all Transformers, OG or Prime, to 'ship to store' instead of 'not in stock'. This wasn't like this yesterday.
    Last edited by kwang2009; 01-02-2012 at 05:36 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Busted View Post
    According to the associate, he stated that all pre-orders will be fullfilled, however due to the cease & desist from Hasbro, they will not be selling these due to a trademark infringement on the 'transformer prime'.
    lol, failassociate

I havent called BB customer service to confirm but do you think this is a stall tactic being used by BB?
    doubt it, it was almost certainly just another clueless BB associate who was just blowing crap out of his arse. There has been no injunctions against the TFP issued by any court, and Hasbro can hardly compel anyone to stop selling TFP in their stores. Also, if it were true, it would also banned sales online as well, not just in stores, and I'm pretty sure that includes "preorders" as well. The entire premise is so laughable I probably would've laughed in that associate's face if I was there :P
    THUNDERBOLT and ElderSquid like this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    I purchased a 16gb TF101 for my main squeeze for christmas. Of course, BB didnt have the prime in stock so I settled on this with the intention of returning this for the prime. The associate at Best Buy was cool with this and because of XMas theyve extended the return dates for electronics till the end of jan..

Just for S&G's, we went by BB today to see if they happen to have any Primes in stock.. According to the associate, he stated that all pre-orders will be fullfilled, however due to the cease & desist from Hasbro, they will not be selling these due to a trademark infringement on the 'transformer prime'.

DailyTech - Hasbro Sues ASUS Over "Transformer" Trademark

Hasbro files lawsuit against Asus over Transformer Prime name

I havent called BB customer service to confirm but do you think this is a stall tactic being used by BB? Im kinda ticked off ...the deal was to have this one for xmas since Asus is half step'n on deliveries of this product and return it before we're a$$ out on being able to return this.

Keep your Prime's! Imagine is Asus had to stop making them and changed it's name and brand we'll be the only ones that have the originals!
    kariworld likes this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links