Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tf201 vs Tf101

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Tf201 vs Tf101

Hey guys,

So long story short... I can pick up the tf101 with keyboard dock for 450 or the TF201 with keyboard dock for 600. Is the extra money really worth it? Seeing as the wait for the Prime seems to be insanity.
    Just wondering what the difference really is. Cheers!
    Sent from the Droid... The one you were looking for...

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Check out this thread one of the moderators wrote up on the 201 vs 101:

First impression TF101 vs. TFP201

That is where I would start.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    Check out this thread one of the moderators wrote up on the 201 vs 101:

First impression TF101 vs. TFP201

That is where I would start.
    Cheers. Hmm... It seems as if the quad core really doesn't make much difference? Odd, as I hoped it would make everyday functions faster. Is the gaming performance really that stellar?

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    The issue is that right now there are not many apps and the OS is not written to take advantage of the quad cores.

ICS should help with this a bit, and some of the Tegra 3 games are stunning.

It is a better machine, but if you are not planning on hardcore gaming, the TF101 will probably be a better fit for now. I have a TF101 and have no plans to update at the moment. If I see a great deal on the TF201, or when the 3rd gen comes out possibly.

I do some gaming, but not enough to justify it.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    The issue is that right now there are not many apps and the OS is not written to take advantage of the quad cores.

ICS should help with this a bit, and some of the Tegra 3 games are stunning.

It is a better machine, but if you are not planning on hardcore gaming, the TF101 will probably be a better fit for now. I have a TF101 and have no plans to update at the moment. If I see a great deal on the TF201, or when the 3rd gen comes out possibly.

I do some gaming, but not enough to justify it.
    Sounds good man, thanks for the info. Kinda sad they didn't make a 16gb version of the TF201. Haha. Looks like ill be getting the tf101 and waiting for the third generation transformer or 4th gen ipad.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    If Asus sells as many of these as is projected, 4-6 million this year, you will see a LOT more programs to take advantage of the quad core. Not to mention other quad core android devices like googles around the corner.

Remember when the iphone was the king of the hill, and andriod phones knocked it off its perch? I expect this is one of the tipping points where the ipad finally gets a real run for its money.

If it is between the transformer and prime and only $150 difference, spend the extra. You will not regret it.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have an entire argument about the ipad vs android debate.... But i respect everyones opinions

Anyways, im still torn on what to do tbh. I really want the Prime, but also want to see what Apple comes up with. BAH!

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by freebirdforever View Post
    I have an entire argument about the ipad vs android debate.... But i respect everyones opinions

Anyways, im still torn on what to do tbh. I really want the Prime, but also want to see what Apple comes up with. BAH!

I have a very simple view about iPad versus Android. I want iPad quality apps running on Android tablets. I think iOS is way too restrictive and Android is too wild and rough on the edges. I am gambling that Android will catch up with more apps and clean up the OS (hopefully in ICS).

Right now I am primarily using the TF, foregoing some of my favorite iPad apps, in exchange for Android goodies such as alternate keyboards, being able to access the file system, writing apps without paying annual developer's fee, etc, etc. I can't emphasize alternate keyboards enough. I find it nearly impossible to do any amount of typing on my iPad without using an external Bluetooth keyboard, and even then it doesn't attach to the iPad. I am actually able to get work done on my TF in tablet mode without the dock, especially with Swype. And even if Swype was ported to the iPad, it couldn't be used with existing apps, but as a separate standalone app.

For reference I am comparing my first generation iPad against my first generation Transformer with keyboard dock.
    Last edited by skallal; 12-26-2011 at 10:39 PM.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    My big issue with Prime is that it has gotten lukewarm reviews since release, especially by its users. While people were criticizing my fears and predictions a month ago, reality is that Prime is not as big a step forward as hoped, neither in software nor in hardware.

Hardware seems to be flawed with weak WiFi and the chance of getting a device with some sort of hardware flaw, including light bleeds, weak GPS, dead pixels, weak and unresponsive touch screen, screen that is dusty from behind the glass, or a device that just does not turn on, is higher than that of an average new product. Especially when compared to Apple's releases, which - while not flawless - hasn't made me fearful for the products quality that I am buying. I love Android so much more as a software, despite its weaknesses, simply because the ecosystem and much better openness compared to Apple are worth it for me. It pains me to see a device that has flawed and untested hardware.

Second issue is software. Quad-core does not improve anything much and ICS will not improve things other than (hopefully) the browser. Prime has very little RAM, which I think would be much better for an Android device than quad-core. Prime would be a better device with higher-clocked dual-core processor and 2GB of RAM. And you have to remember that the snappiness of software is highly dependent on hardware too, a recent Finnish review pointed out that the touchscreen is simply weak and not as responsive as it should be, making the software seem slow. This too won't be fixed by ICS.

And let's not forget the issue that I raised very early on about the Prime: battery life. Now that users actually have the device, it has become clear that battery life on Transformer Prime sucks. Everybody was up with pitchforks when I made those early predictions, but those were true predictions. Users report 6-7 hours of battery life in actual use, which is far from 10+ hours. This means that I could not use Prime as the main device for lectures and web browsing while at University.

I will still be buying it and hoping that I won't get a flawed device, since I'm ordering it internationally and returns are a pain. At least it should be better than the original Transformer. But main reason for my purchase is the keyboard dock. If I did not want the keyboard dock, I would not purchase Transformer Prime.
    Last edited by kristovaher; 12-27-2011 at 06:40 AM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Sadly, with all the issues reported, I am now thinking of cancelling my Prime order, waiting for ICS to come out on the original TF, and reassess. I need decent wifi, and the original TF has that. In a month's time, the TF will be lots cheaper, and I have no doubt the issues with the Prime will be no different.

Sad and annoying. Oh well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links