Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Jumpball23
  • 2 Post By tatersaladccc
  • 2 Post By rwniel

Thread: Can the transformer run Windows?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Question Can the transformer run Windows?

I'm not sure how the transformer is designed but is it possible to install Windows on it (even if there were no drivers?)

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    No. Windows will not run on an ARM processor architecture at all at the moment. Windows 8 is supposed to have a version designed to run on ARM, but it hasn't released yet. I am sure it will be possible once Windows 8 tablet version for ARM is released, but we'll still have the problem of the bootloader handling it.

If Asus builds the next Transformer as a Windows 8 tablet, that will be great. Then, with a little hacking, it should be able to be ported over to the Prime. But we'll have to do a lot more waiting for this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Why run windows ? Viruses and slow. You can run Ubuntu and much stable if you dont like your OS. Open source is better and a lot of support from the community. Have fun.
    tatersaladccc and SMC170 like this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Currently just outside London in the UK but soon to be Ottawa, Canada
    Liked
    12 times
    One issue is likely going to be a lack of a retail edition of Windows 8 for Arm. But third party developers are generally a pretty innovative and enterprising bunch of people so you can never say never. It does appear that Asus have at least preliminary plans for Windows 8 tablets using a transformer-like design. But arm-based models may come out later, perhaps not until early 2013.

Robert

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    As already stated NO IT WILL NOT.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    I don't know what use you have for windows on a tablet at this time, but you can easily grab a remote desktop program for your tablet and remotely access your home or office computer, so if you jsut wanted to use some of windows features, this might be an option ou could look into, but as a OS on the unit NO WAY. lol at least not any time soon.
    rwniel and SMC170 like this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    That's a shame. The transformer is pretty awesome hardware but I do everything on Windows - guess I'm stuck with the Iconia then. Whatever happened to the days of open ended hardware when I could run what I wanted on it

Ratchet
    Member #
    Currently just outside London in the UK but soon to be Ottawa, Canada
    Liked
    12 times
    The difference is the cpu and instruction set used - the Iconia uses an AMD processor (with Intel instruction set), compared to the Arm v7 instruction set on devices like the Prime. So you get netbook-like performance with much less battery life compared to something like the Prime. How well Windows 8 works on Arm remains to be seen, plus it'll start with an inherent disadvantage with apps needing to be written specifically for the Metro UI. At the moment Windows support means legacy apps which won't run natively on Prime-like models based on Arm architecture.

The comment made above about using remote desktop is a good one - it's what drove me back to a desktop PC rather than using a laptop. Not in terms of a physical PC that I need to sit in front of, but having something capable of doing the tasks not easily achievable on the transformer. That includes things like encoding videos, which can be started from the transformer and then left to do its thing in the background.

Robert
    Last edited by rwniel; 12-15-2011 at 09:17 AM.
    Detection and Jeffrey like this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    9 times
    I for one am watching Windows 8 closely. The latest rumors are that Windows ARM won't support Windows desktop apps, but only the new Metro apps. Previously Microsoft had hinted it would support desktop apps, but has back tracked. It would require some sort of emulation, which would increase battery drain.

The big draw for me is the .NET framework. I code in C# on a daily basis so my skills could be put to easy use. Also I think Microsoft will be more open than Apple, but less open than Android. Existing Windows Mobile devices bear this out. The user has access to the file system, at least it did on a WM6 phone I had.

Microsoft programming, and better or worse, has been my income for nearly 20 years. I am quite interested to see how Windows 8 ARM unfolds.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by EEEeeek View Post
    That's a shame. The transformer is pretty awesome hardware but I do everything on Windows - guess I'm stuck with the Iconia then. Whatever happened to the days of open ended hardware when I could run what I wanted on it
    I do a lot work Windows work on my TF using remote desktop (Jump Desktop app). I find the full TF with dock much more usable than my iPad with bluetooth keyboard. The things I do on Windows, are too intensive for a Windows net book or many desktops for that matter. I find the TF a good way to have Windows with me on the go...

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links