Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times

TF201 Custom ROM Help Needed

I've had my transformer prime for a few years now, and it has pretty much been outdated for some time. I was hoping to make it a little more updated with a new ROM, but I've quickly realized that it's more difficult that I had thought. There are a lot of instructions out there, but many seem to be outdated. I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of the most up to date information, because I'd rather not ruin the device by doing things incorrectly. I'm running Androind 4.1.1, have unlocked, and have rooted the device. I'm basically completely lost after this step, because this is where my research seems to meet a number of different instructions that all say they do the same thing. Please help this noob!!!!!!!

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Yeah, you're a little late to the party - it's tough to follow a two year development.

Ok, if you want to run any recent rom on this tablet (and I strongly suggest you go for KatKiss LP or Katshmallow by Timduru) you will have to flash the Hairybean bootloader to your tablet, effectively turning the TF201 into a TF300.
    Hairybean is the basis for anything post-JB on this tablet.
    To flash it you first need a TWRP recovery that works with your current bootloader. Download the 2nd from the top from here: https://dl.twrp.me/tf201/
    Fastboot flash that recovery to your tablet. If you need help with that, the general procedure for flashing a recovery to any Transformer is outlined here: Beginners Guide to root and flashing a custo… | Asus Transformer TF700

Once you have TWRP 2.6.3 installed, use it to flash the Hairybean bootloader (which comes packaged with a recovery that is outdated by now) https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid...62690511177315
    So after successfully flashing that package you need to reboot and then update your recovery again to flash a current rom.
    Remember, your tablet is a TF300 now, so you need to flash a recovery for that bootloader. I would recommend you use the Kang TWRP from here: [RECOVERY] KANG TWRP TF201T 3.0.0-x@AREA51 F… | Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime
    It's easy to install: Just download the flashable zip version and flash it in your current recovery and reboot.

Ok, now you are almost ready to flash the rom, but first - after securing a backup of everything dear to you - you need to format data in TWRP, then you should, but don't have to convert /data to f2fs, and then you can flash the rom.
    For those two steps I'll refer to to another TF700 thread but I assure you, the instructions are the same for your Prime: [GUIDE] Convert /data to f2fs with TWRP 2.8.… | Asus Transformer TF700

So, after all that is done you are ready to flash the rom, gapps (Google apps) and SuperSU if you want root.
    Download those from the Katshmallow thread.[ROM][TF700 - TF201][MM 6.0.1] [ KatKiss - K… | Asus Transformer TF700
    Tim consolidated his threads for the TF201 and TF700 into one because they are so similar. You still have to download and flash the TF201 rom version, but gapps and SuperSU are the same.

All right, read, try to wrap you head around all this, I know it is a lot, but if you follow instructions you end up in the top 5% of Android users: Those running a MM rom

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you!!! I'll give this a shot when I get home... And yea I don't have anything important on the tf201, so I'm not too worried about losing any info... Just want a tablet that doesn't take 5 minutes to open a basic app... Thanks again for the help, hopefully I don't find a way to f it up!!!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Give it your best shot, ask when not sure

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    OK... so i'm having a bit of trouble fastboot flashing the recovery. I can't get anything to show up in my command box

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    More info needed. Describe what you tried, copy and paste or screenshot the cmd window etc

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links