Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times

Potential first time modder

Hi all,

I've just got my hands on a TF201 that already has Cyanogenmod on it, I think it's version 9 but I'm at work so can't check.

Anyhoo, I'm thinking about putting custom ROM's on as I would like to be running something similar to Marshmallow or Lollipop. So I've read through as much as I can but can't seem to find any kind of guide for people like me who are not starting from a pure android firmware.

So can I ask -

1 - As I already have Cyanogenmod, do I need a PC to flash new ROM's?
    2 - Can I update Cyanogenmod?
    3 - Is there any particular ROM that will speed up my tablet as it seems a bit laggy?
    4 - Anything else I need to know?

Basically, I know the risks involved and am yet to decide if I want to go down this route yet. I always used to pull apart my PC's as I enjoyed the thrill of wondering why it wouldn't boot but am still researching modding a tablet.

Any help is greatly appreciated, any abuse will be largely ignored!

Cheers

Senior Moderator Meritorious
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    902 times
    Hey Scott, this is way above my tech nohow, but I just wanted to welcome you to the forum. I know that one of our members or mods will be able to give you a knowledgeable reply shortly.
    Scottkr likes this.
    Asus Eee Pad TF101 (gave to wife); Samsung Galaxy Note 8 phone and tablet

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html
    Asus T100 Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottkr View Post
    Hi all,

I've just got my hands on a TF201 that already has Cyanogenmod on it, I think it's version 9 but I'm at work so can't check.

Anyhoo, I'm thinking about putting custom ROM's on as I would like to be running something similar to Marshmallow or Lollipop. So I've read through as much as I can but can't seem to find any kind of guide for people like me who are not starting from a pure android firmware.

So can I ask -

1 - As I already have Cyanogenmod, do I need a PC to flash new ROM's?
    Yes and no. Strictly speaking you do not need a PC to flash a different ROM. But whenever you venture into the realm of the flashoholics you would be very well advised if you had perfectly working adb/fastboot connection between PC and your tablet. It reduces the risk associated with modding your device by 80%. For the basics about setting up adb fastboot check out the guide in my signature. It's for a TF700 but the adb fastboot setup is the same.
    2 - Can I update Cyanogenmod?
    Probably yes, but IMHO it's not worth it. There's much better stuff out there. But I don't do CM so cannot help you with it
    3 - Is there any particular ROM that will speed up my tablet as it seems a bit laggy?
    Hell yes! KatKiss either in Lollipop or Marshmallow flavor is the way to go
    4 - Anything else I need to know?
    Plenty! Your journey just strated, but you did the most important thing already: Ask good questions!
    Basically, I know the risks involved and am yet to decide if I want to go down this route yet. I always used to pull apart my PC's as I enjoyed the thrill of wondering why it wouldn't boot but am still researching modding a tablet.
    Good! Because there is risk involved. As well a big reward at the end of it.

Alright here's the short version of what I would recommend you do:
    a) flash the Hairybean bootloader to your tablet. This effectively turns your Prime into a TF300. There has been much more and later development for the TF300 than the Prime. Flashing the Hairybean BL lets you take advantage of that. But you gotta be clear that after flashing Hairybean you have to treat your tablet like a TF300. You can only flash roms and recoveries developed for the 300, so always pay close attention which bootloader is required for the rom you want to flash.
    b) Flash a late version of TWRP recovery
    c) convert the file system on /data to f2fs (TWRP can do that for you)
    d) flash KatKiss Lollipop or Katshmallow
    e) prepare to be amazed

You can do much of it from your current setup.
    Make sure you are on the latest TF201 bootloader, so check it in the bootloader menu: Boot with Power and Volume Down, read the tiny text.
    Download the Hairybean 2.3.1 bootloader & TWRP 2.5 from here: [ROM][Aug 29][JB 4.2.1] AndroWook Prime Hair… | Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime
    Put both on your microSD or internal memory, then flash that zip in your current recovery and reboot when it is finished. You should see a blue bar fill up, that is the bootloader and the recovery being written to their partitions. It does not matter if your tablet should not boot up any further at this point. Actually it would not be surprising, because at this point you have a TF300 bootloader and recovery on it and a TF201 rom. But not much longer.
    Just reboot to the bootloader menu if your tablet gets stuck.
    Now you need to update your recovery for a LP or MM rom. Go here and download the latest version of lj's Kang TWRP recovery: [RECOVERY] KANG TWRP TF201T 3.0.0-x@AREA51 F… | Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime
    You will need to flash it in fastboot as instructed in that post, but you should have fastboot set up anyway, right?
    Alright, with TWRP 2.8.7.2 installed follow the instructions here to convert the file system on /data (and on /data only) to f2fs: [GUIDE] Convert /data to f2fs with TWRP 2.8.… | Asus Transformer TF700
    Ok - when all that is done you can flash Katkiss LP or MM:
    [ROM] [MM 6.0.1] KatshMallow - v23 [TF201] | Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime
    [ROM] [TF201] KatKiss 5.1.1 - v30 [MultiWind… | Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime

You were asking for an adventure, right? You got one!
    Enjoy!

P.S. Best would be you download everything I linked to onto a microSD first, then flash as instructed. In order, with he required steps and reboots in between. Good luck!
    Last edited by droidbound; 03-30-2016 at 11:31 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    Well that didn't quite go as planned. Flashed the hairybean bootloader followed by twrp 2.5. Went to do the twrp recovery and couldn't really understand what it meant by fastboot so did a search and figured that I don't know how or what I was meant to do. So I thought I can just ignore it and flash the new rom, which failed and now my prime seems to be bricked!

Help!!!

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    More details please.
    Describe exactly what you did and how.
    Define "bricked". What can and can't you do?
    How could you have flashed a recovery, let alone the HB bootloader if you do not understand fastboot??

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    Right, it's all sorted now.

When I said I didn't understand Fastboot, what I meant was I was confused thinking I need it on my prime whereas I had it on my spare tablet already.

I'm not one for overthinking things, I kind of think that the worst that can happen is that I'll need to work out how to fix it. Nothing is permanently broken!!

So I'm up and running on marshmallow(ish) but am a bit bugged by not having play store on. I flashed the GAPPS thingy from your earlier reply but still don't have it so I'll do more messing around until I either find a solution or someone points out my obvious mistake. In the meantime, I have put on the most necessary apk's from a mirror site.

My only 2 bugbears are that it's really slow booting up (but I never switch off so it's only during this setup that it annoys me) and not having play store but I'll get there.

As someone very wise once told me, the adventure has just started!!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links