Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times

Can't access recovery mode, 4 icons but can't select the usb fastboot option.

I have just brought a second hand asus prime tablet tf201. I want to install ubuntu. I need the recovery mode cwm or twrp to use my ubuntu image as dual boot. My problem is when i press power and volume down, I see a screen with some white text at the top and 4 icons. First icon rck, second is android icon, third is usb, not sure what 4th is. So what I want to do is select the 3rd option usb which I think allows me to hook adb/fastboot from my windows pc and flash the recovery image to cwm or twrp. If I press up or down volume which should let me move and select it, BUT it just boots recovery kernel and halts, tried loads of flash recovery apps from store some said they did something but none change the result.

So I am a bit stuck, read loads of posts but they all assume you can get into recovery which I cant.

Any help would be appreciated, love to get ubuntu on this thing.

thanks

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Mhhh - it ain't quite as easy as you make it sound. Unless you know a lot more than i do naturally....
    The only project I know of where users created a dual boot Android/Linux system on a Transformer was on the Tf700. The thread is here: Kexecboot on the TF700t(TF700t-AKBI v2.6.8) | Asus Transformer TF700 | XDA Forums
    No idea if anyone ever did this for the Prime or if you can use the kexecboot from that thread on the Prime...... I'd recommend you do a lot of reading before attempting it....

I can help you to get a custom recovery on your tablet but after that you're on your own as far as I am concerned.
    First question: Did you unlock the tablet with Asus unlock tool? That's the prerequisite to flashing anything to the Prime.
    1 minute with Google brought me to this thread: [How To]TF201 Flash TWRP on Jellybean and Ro… | Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime | XDA Forums
    There you'll find instructions on how setup fastboot and how to boot the tablet into it. I think you've been hitting Vol Up as soon as you got into the bootloader menu and that will always boot you into stock recovery (RCK) which is selected by default....

I would highly recommend you update the tablet to it's latest stock rom to get on JB bootloader before you do anything else. I think you may be still on ICS at this point....
    Good luck!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi droidboudn, thanks for the advice, I really havent got down to the rom bit which I am fine to sort myself (done on my old phone so know how to do it, ish). The problem is I cant fastboot anything because I cant change to the usb icon. Why oh why do I see 4 icons and it says I can select or move with up and down but if i press up or down it just loads broken recovery rom, as in it says booting recovery kernel, then just halts. If I can get it to change to usb and let me fast boot which I have all setup then I am laughing. FYI, I have hooked it up to windows and install adb, from the command line adb finds the device but fastboot doesnt because I havent got it in the usb/fastboot mode. Thats my problem. Oh I am on JB already. If you have any other ideas I am all ears, thanks again.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Well, then use the adb command
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    That should get you into fastboot mode

Remove Ads