Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times

No Fastboot on TF201

Hey guys,

So I have seemed to stumbled onto a very unique situation with my TF201 tablet. In trying to root my device to upgrade from 4.0.3, I tried to unlock the bootloader. In order to do so, you need to boot into Fastboot mode.

When I hold the Power + Vol Down keys at boot, I get the white text in the top left. Then wait the 5 seconds. Which then I am only given the options of Wipe Data and Android. There in no USB icon in the middle for fast boot.

I have done my reading around the web and can't seem to find a solution, or anyone with the similar situation. Was hoping there is someone out there who can shed some light on my issue.

Thanks in advance!

Senior Moderator Meritorious
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    901 times
    Hey TechGeek420, this is out of my comfort zone, but I just wanted to welcome you to the forum! I'm sure one of our more knowledgeable mods or members with be along shortly.
    Asus Eee Pad TF101 (gave to wife); Samsung Galaxy Note 8 phone and tablet

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html
    Asus T100 Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Hey tech geek. You may want to stop right there and do a bit more research. I am currently researching and putting together a guide for how to install custom ROMs on the prime. The guide assumes that you are on the very latest android firmware which happens to be 4.1. You do not need root access to install this. Only a micro SD card.

If you look in the master help guide in my signature you will see a guide on how to install firmware packages. I recommend you try that.

It also appears that the android 4.0 bootloader is quite a bit different from later versions. I believe that it requires an extra key combination to enter into the other options. What happens when you select android? Also do not select wipe data (if that is what it actually says)
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Edit. It sounds like you have to press volume up after entering that screen in order to enter the next menu.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

______

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtanner00 View Post
    Hey tech geek. You may want to stop right there and do a bit more research. I am currently researching and putting together a guide for how to install custom ROMs on the prime. The guide assumes that you are on the very latest android firmware which happens to be 4.1. You do not need root access to install this. Only a micro SD card.

If you look in the master help guide in my signature you will see a guide on how to install firmware packages. I recommend you try that.

It also appears that the android 4.0 bootloader is quite a bit different from later versions. I believe that it requires an extra key combination to enter into the other options. What happens when you select android? Also do not select wipe data (if that is what it actually says)

Thank you so much for your help!

I went to the link in your signature and didn't seem to find a guide on installing firmware packages. Can you provide more info on that?

When I select android option, the tablet boots to 4.0.3 just like it would with a normal start up. Also when I select the Up Volume in the 5 seconds, before the menu is shown, I get the Android loading/ update screen which is shortly followed by the Android laying down with a red triangle with exclamation point in it.

I assume I need to fix that (recovery mode?) before thinking about doing anything else?

Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Quote Originally Posted by techgeek420 View Post
    Thank you so much for your help!

I went to the link in your signature and didn't seem to find a guide on installing firmware packages. Can you provide more info on that?

When I select android option, the tablet boots to 4.0.3 just like it would with a normal start up. Also when I select the Up Volume in the 5 seconds, before the menu is shown, I get the Android loading/ update screen which is shortly followed by the Android laying down with a red triangle with exclamation point in it.

I assume I need to fix that (recovery mode?) before thinking about doing anything else?

Thanks!
    You are on the right track. No fixes necessary. The Android loading screen is called the Asus recovery (not a custom recovery) it is searching for a correctly labeled firmware file on an external micro SD card. It fails because you do not have a firmware file on the SD card.

http://www.transformerforums.com/for...101-tf201.html
    Here is the link that you need to follow. You will use method you discovered above in order to access the recovery.

The most important thing to get this to work is that you unzip and rename the file exactly as explained (yes the process outlined for tf300 will work for the tf201). Make sure you are downloaing the correct SKU version. US and WW are the most common. if you see some text in the left corner of the boot loader screen then you can verify which SKU you are. Otherwise you will need to guess.

EDIT: just realize that you have a working tablet (not a bootloop)
    You can first try the method outlined in this guide [GUIDE] How to flash Official Firmware downloaded from ASUS site. unzipping the file, placing it in the root of the internal memory and rebooting.

After you get onto the latest firmware, a factory reset will likely be in order to clear everything out. Then we can worry about whether you want to unlock the bootloader.

______

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    You are on the right track. No fixes necessary. The Android loading screen is called the Asus recovery (not a custom recovery) it is searching for a correctly labeled firmware file on an external micro SD card. It fails because you do not have a firmware file on the SD card.

http://www.transformerforums.com/for...101-tf201.html
    Here is the link that you need to follow. You will use method you discovered above in order to access the recovery.

The most important thing to get this to work is that you unzip and rename the file exactly as explained (yes the process outlined for tf300 will work for the tf201). Make sure you are downloaing the correct SKU version. US and WW are the most common. if you see some text in the left corner of the boot loader screen then you can verify which SKU you are. Otherwise you will need to guess.

EDIT: just realize that you have a working tablet (not a bootloop)
    You can first try the method outlined in this guide [GUIDE] How to flash Official Firmware downloaded from ASUS site. unzipping the file, placing it in the root of the internal memory and rebooting.

After you get onto the latest firmware, a factory reset will likely be in order to clear everything out. Then we can worry about whether you want to unlock the bootloader.
    If I am not mistake, I believe I am already running the current firmware. US_epad-9.4.2.28 is what appears in the top left at boot and the build #. On ASUS support site, the only firmware for 4.0.3 is V9.4.2.21(DE). I assume my version is newer (28>21) and that I cannot put on 10.4.2.18 since I am not running 4.1 yet.

Let me know if all of this is true, and what the next steps I should take.

Thanks again for your time and help, I really appreciate it!

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    If I am not mistake, I believe I am already running the current firmware. US_epad-9.4.2.28 is what appears in the top left at boot and the build #. On ASUS support site, the only firmware for 4.0.3 is V9.4.2.21(DE). I assume my version is newer (28>21) and that I cannot put on 10.4.2.18 since I am not running 4.1 yet.

Let me know if all of this is true, and what the next steps I should take.

Thanks again for your time and help, I really appreciate it!
    No. You want to install the firmware for 4.1 the methods outlined will allow you to do that.

______

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    No. You want to install the firmware for 4.1 the methods outlined will allow you to do that.
    So just to verify what you are saying (don't want to brick my device). Even though I am running 4.0.3, I want to install the firmware for 4.1 which the most up to date seems to be V10.4.2.18?

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    So just to verify what you are saying (don't want to brick my device). Even though I am running 4.0.3, I want to install the firmware for 4.1 which the most up to date seems to be V10.4.2.18?
    Exactly. If you used the 4.03 firmware you would end up with the same version you have already. The firmware is intended to bring you up to the version listed.

______

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links