Thread: Reformat

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    2 times

Reformat

Ok, I tried to manually update my TF201 from I think firmware 4.1 to Jellybean, but along the way I wiped the system completely as per one of the sites instructions. So it keeps booting up to FlatlLine, and it won't recognize my external SD card so I cannot reinstall the original OS back onto it, nor could i access the HD by linking it to my PC via USB, so i'm not sure what i can do to fix it, nor has Google helped. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated to getting this fix. Thank You.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Laydin View Post
    Ok, I tried to manually update my TF201 from I think firmware 4.1 to Jellybean, but along the way I wiped the system completely as per one of the sites instructions. So it keeps booting up to FlatlLine, and it won't recognize my external SD card so I cannot reinstall the original OS back onto it, nor could i access the HD by linking it to my PC via USB, so i'm not sure what i can do to fix it, nor has Google helped. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated to getting this fix. Thank You.

We'll need a LOT more information than that to help...
    To start with, 4.1 IS Jellybean...

1) What sort of update were you doing? Stock firmware, custom ROM?
    2) What process did you follow?
    3) What do you mean by "booting into flatline"

etc etc etc etc...

If you want to ask for help you really need to be more descriptive & helpful first!!

Gtanner00 likes this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    2 times
    1. I was trying to do custom ROM i believe, (my knowledge in this is limited, so i apologize for my lack of description).
    2. I was using this process to update to 4.4 d3-media: UPGRADING ASUS PRIME TF201 TO ANDROID KITKAT 4.4
    3. I meant i was/am booting into the program that i installed to do the install "flatline" which isn't recognizing my external SD, nor is it letting me mount it.
    4. I'm not sure what else to add, so please let me know if you have any more questions, and i'll do my best to answer them.

I can also access the 4 prompts since i unlocked system, i can enter the RCK (boots up flatline), Linux, Flashboot (USB Icon), and the wipe mode (which is pointless, cause it won't install the original OS, since it's gone)
    Last edited by Laydin; 12-27-2014 at 08:58 AM.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    You are still ok. Just don't do anything rash at this point, be patient.

Ok, just to get some lingo straight so that we know what we are talking about
    Flatline recovery is a recovery for the TF201 and if you select "RCK" from the bootloader menu you boot into recovery - any recovery that happens to be installed.
    Flatline dos not support external cards, as the guy in that blog you linked to found out - flashing it was a unnecesaary step since later in that article he linked to the CWM recovery from the CM thread on XDA which does support extrnal cards......

First you need to make sure that you are on the correct bootloader.
    Boot to the 4 icons (bootloader menu) and read the small script. Your version should be 10.4.2.15. If that is correct, you can proceed.
    If not: STOP
    Do not do anything else. You have to get the correct bootloader before you flash a recovery, rom, whatever....
    And this will be a little trickier now since you don't have the stock recovery anymore.

If you are on the 10.4.2.15 botloader you can continue with this:
    Download the CWM recovery from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/devd...2229#downloads
    Choose the recovery.img, not the recovery_f2fs.img - that's for later after you got a few flashes under your belt.
    Flash the recovery.img in fastboot as you did before. Please ask if you're not sure about the correct procedure.
    Reboot and boot back into recovery
    Check if you can navigate to the microSD where you have your CM 11 installation file.
    Now, and that's another important step this chap missed, you have to do a full wipe in CWM to prepare for the installation of the new rom.
    In CWM that's under the Wipe menu and I believe they call it "Factory Wipe". Anyway, it should wipe /data, /cache and /Dalvik.
    Once that is done you can flash the CM11 rom from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2589554

Let me know if you have questions.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    2 times
    I have v10.4.2.18, can i continue?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    That is the latest JB bootloader. Yes, you should be ok.
    Read at least the OP (very carefully!) and the last few pages of the CM 11 thread on XDA to find out if there are any current problems, glitches or bugs with the rom.
    Glancing through the thread quickly it seems there are only 2 recoveries that work with CM11 on this tablet.
    Use the one I linked to or find the modified TWRP version (post 601).

Remember: You are responsible for what you are doing to your tablet! Do your research, ask until you are sure you have the correct files and tools.
    I have some experience with flashing, but not on the TF201.
    Last edited by droidbound; 12-27-2014 at 08:19 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    2 times
    I am having trouble flashing.
    Am I doing something wrong on the commands? My recovery.img is in the D: drive, and I am in the fastboot selection, but i am at a loss.
    What I've tried:

D:\>fastboot fash recovery recovery.img
    'fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

D:\>flashboot flash recvery open.img
    'flashboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

D:\>flashboot flash recovery recovery.img

D:\>recovery.img

D:\>flashboot flash recovery.img

D:\>cd C:
    C:\Users\JJang53003

D:\>C:\ flashboot flash recovery.img
    'C:\' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

D:\>flashboot

D:\>flash recovery.img
    'flash' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

D:\>fastboot flash system recovery.img
    'fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    The command is fastboot flash recovery.img
    The recovery.img has to be in the same folder as your fastboot.exe and you must have fastboot and adb set up on your PC and a working connection to the tablet.

Whatever guide you are following - it seems to be less than complete.
    Following I copied part of my guide for the TF700 and edited it for your situation.

Installing ADB and fastboot plus the necessary drivers

For a working ADB/fastboot connection from PC to tablet you need:
    a) Asus device drivers – if you connect the tablet to your PC and it's recognized as a portable device you should be ok. If not, download the Asus Sync Utility from their support/downloads site and install it to get the drivers, then uninstall the program from your PC if you don't want it. The drivers will stay.
    b) Fastboot and ADB drivers which will be installed if you run the tool below.

Windows 7/8:
    Download and run this cool little tool [TOOL] [WINDOWS] ADB, Fastboot and Drivers - 15 seconds ADB Installer v1.1 - xda-developers (don't forget to hit the Thanks button)
    This is not confirmed to work on Win 8.1, but that may be due to the driver signature verification in Win8. Google how to turn it off.
    The tool installs the adb and fastboot.exe to a folder on your C:\ drive (look for adb) and the corresponding drivers. Takes about 15 seconds

Win XP (and all other Win versions if the above does not work for some reason)
    I recommend the "ADB Install Tool" mentioned above or the 'Minimal ADB Fastboot Tool': [TOOL]Minimal ADB and Fastboot [7-18-13] - xda-developers
    Either works fine.
    If you need the drivers, get them here and install manually in Device Manager:[ADB/FB/APX Driver] Universal Naked Driver 0.72 (We dont need no stinking HTC Sync) - xda-developers
    Win7 and Win8 users seem to have the best luck wth the drivers sbdags provided here: [SCRIPT][Windows 7/8][TF700T][Install Recove… | Asus Transformer TF700 | XDA Forums
    It's fine if you want to use his Recovery Install Tool. But I highly recommend you familiarize yourself with basic fastboot commands! There are lots of tutorials all over the web.

Linux:Check out this site https://code.google.com/p/adb-fastboot-install/
    iOS:[GUIDE] Set up ADB and Fastboot on a Mac easily (With Screenshots!) - xda-developers or:
    How to Install ADB & Fastboot in Mac OS X to Send Commands to Your HTC One HTC One

The fun begins
    Fastboot does not play well with USB 3.0, so use a USB 2.0 port for this. And no hubs and such....

Boot the tablet into fastboot mode and connect it to your computer via the original USB cable
    In Windows Explorer navigate to the folder that contains your adb.exe and fastboot.exe
    Win 7/8: Shift + right click and select "Open command window here".

In the command window on your PC type:
    Code:
    fastboot devices
    If that command returns a string of numbers and letters, you are good as gold.

If it returns: "No devices found", fastboot is not working - yet - and you have to troubleshoot.

Getting the correct drivers working can be the hardest part of this exercise. If your computer does not "see" the tablet in fastboot, try to uninstall the existing driver (if any) in Device Manager and manually install the Google Universal Naked Drivers.

Let's assume everything is good:

Place the recovery.img file into the same directory (folder) where your fastboot.exe is
    Again, check the connection

Code:
    fastboot devices
    If you get the connection, in the command window type:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    This will flash the recovery to the recovery partition
    If it is successful type:
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
    and let the tablet boot up normally.
    Booting back into the (not rooted) stock rom you may get a dialog from CWM asking you if you want to root.
    You can accept or cancel it - doesn't matter. I assume you are going to install a custom rom and they are rooted anyway.

Create a nandroid
    Your almost there! You are now on the stock ROM with a custom recovery installed.
    Power the tablet down and boot into the bootloader menu with Volume Down and Power buttons.
    With RCK flashing, push Volume Up and you should boot into CWM.

Choose "Backup" and choose the backup location on the next screen to create a nandroid of your current system.
    This is a very healthy habit to develop: You always want to have a nandroid of your last working system squared away so that you can do a simple restore if you flash something that does not work, or something goes wrong during a flash. With a working recovery and a good nandroid you are minutes away from a working system if you soft brick your tablet.

Installing a custom ROM
    From here on out it's as easy as downloading the installation file of your custom ROM, booting into CWM, choosing "Install" and navigating to the zip of the ROM you want to flash.

Whatever you decide to flash: READ THE OP of the corresponding thread and make sure you have the correct bootloader and the required recovery installed! I can't stress this enough! If you are not sure, DO NOT FLASH!

It is mandatory to do a Factory Wipe in recovery before installing a custom ROM or going from one ROM base to another (a so called clean install).
    In your recovery choose Wipe data/factory reset and then confirm. You will loose your apps, but it will not wipe your /data/media/ folder where your files, pictures, etc live.
    If you do this right before flashing the custom ROM, make sure you have the zip file of your custom ROM on your microSD - not on your internal SD where it may get wiped....
    DO NOT USE THE "WIPE DATA" OPTION FROM THE BOOTLOADER MENU OR PERFORM A FACTORY RESET FROM "SETTINGS" ONCE YOU HAVE A CUSTOM RECOVERY INSTALLED!

The link to the full guide is in my signature.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by droidbound; 12-28-2014 at 10:22 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    2 times
    20150101_180426.jpg

I think I goofed or put in the wrong file or something. I got all the way to installing the ROM on CMW, restarted and that happened.
    Last edited by Laydin; 01-01-2015 at 04:12 PM.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Yes, you did. At this point your tablet is bricked.
    Unless you can still boot into fastboot mode.
    Read this very, very carefully!!!!
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2179759&page=2
    Make sure that you have the correct system blob for your device!
    Proceed only if you are sure you understand the instructions!
    This is your last shot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links