Thread: Go to a kitkat rom

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    2 times

Go to a kitkat rom

Hi about 2 years ago I was so fed up with the performance of my stock prime ,I manged to flash HairyBean v2.31 to my tablet ,I took my time and all went well ,I have my back up blobbies things saved ,and have used the tablet on that rom since ,
    I now want to try the CROMBi-kk rom ,

Do I just download the CROMBi-kk rom and flash from the current recovery ,or do I have to upgrade the recovery to something else ,
    The more I read the more confused I get .

Thanks

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Mhh, kinda hard to give you advice, since you did not post what exactly you have on your tablet now...
    What bootloader version and recovery do you have installed?
    Can't tell you where to go if I don't know where you are, right?

You could be on the correct bootloader, but check that by booting into it (Power and Vol Down) and reading the small script.
    Compare that to the requirements in the OP of the CROMBi-KK thread in the XDA Transformer Prime Development section.
    I hope that's where you got the CROMBi-KK file????
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2773812

CROMBi-KK for the TF201 is a port/hybrid/zombie of the same rom for the TF300. These tablets are so similar that the CROMBi-KK team found a way to adapt the TF300 rom to the TF201. All the files needed to convert your TF201 into a TF300 are in the conversion kit in the download section of that thread, including a compatible recovery (look at the top of the page).

Read post 4 and let me know if you have questions
    Last edited by droidbound; 12-17-2014 at 02:02 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks for the quick reply droidbound,
    Yes I did download the CROMBi -KK file from from there so that should be ok
    I have what ever bootloader it needed and what ever the recovery was after doing all the fastboot stuff to get my blobbies saved and hairybean 2.31 on it 2 years ago since then I have not upgraded it at all .

When I get in from work I will look at what it says when I boot it up to clarify exactly what I have ,
    Then I probably will have a question or two :-)

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabo1530 View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply droidbound,
    Yes I did download the CROMBi -KK file from from there so that should be ok
    I have what ever bootloader it needed and what ever the recovery was after doing all the fastboot stuff to get my blobbies saved and hairybean 2.31 on it 2 years ago since then I have not upgraded it at all .

When I get in from work I will look at what it says when I boot it up to clarify exactly what I have ,
    Then I probably will have a question or two :-)
    I think the most important thing is having the correct Harry Bean Version. There are two versions as far as I know and I think 2.31 was the latest (the confirmation of the bootloader number tells me this as well)

The idea behind the bootloader was that it makes your device think it is a tf300. I believe they CROMI team recommend a specific recovery but as far as I know, any one that is meant for the tf300 and is Kitkat compatible will work as well.

At that point if you flash one of the few tf300 ROMs that have support for the 201 the only difference will be a kernel that operates at higher CPU speeds.
    Last edited by Gtanner00; 12-17-2014 at 12:43 PM.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    2 times
    Ok when I boot it says ....key driver not found booting os
    Android cardhu-user bootloader<1.00 e> released by ww_epad-10.6.1.27.1-20130711 A03

Is that the info needed ?

when i select recovery it goes to team win then androwook it has a pic of a hairy lion thing with 8 buttons
    Last edited by Grabo1530; 12-17-2014 at 11:36 AM.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    You're good to go on the bootloader side.
    Now boot to recovery (from that screen push Vol Up on the flashing RCK icon). Version number should be somewhere up top.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    You're good to go on the bootloader side.
    Now boot to recovery (from that screen push Vol Up on the flashing RCK icon). Version number should be somewhere up top.
    If i press the settings tab when in recovery ,at the top it says v2.5.0.0
    Gtanner00 likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabo1530 View Post
    If i press the settings tab when in recovery ,at the top it says v2.5.0.0
    Ok, perfect! You're all set to flash the ne0zone TWRP recovery, then do at least a full wipe in TWRP, then flash the rom.

lj recommends a format of data which will erase ALL DATA on your tablet whereas a full wipe of cache, Dalvik and data will leave your personal files like pictures etc untouched.
    I'll leave that up to you, but a fresh, totally clean start may not be a bad idea. lj probably recommends formatting because it cuts down on potential problems caused by something left behind by prior installations and makes supporting his rom easier.
    Fewer customer service calls, you know
    In most cases a full wipe is all you need, but if you then experience lag or reboots, the first thing to do would be to format data and re-install the rom.

Steps:
    Download the upgrade_201_to_300.zip from the CROMBi-KK downloads section.
    Unzip it to it's own folder.
    You can discard the hairybean bootloader/TWRP2.5 file - you got that already.
    Copy the ne0zone_twrp.blob to your fastboot folder and flash it in fastboot - you can follow the instructions in post 4 from that point on.
    gtanner is probably correct, any KK compatible recovery for the TF300 should be ok. But since I do not have first hand experience with that, I'll stick with what the dev recommends.

Next do the format of data as described there (or a wipe of data, cache and Dalvik - your choice.)
    DO THIS IN RECOVERY. NOT - I REPEAT: NOT - FROM THE BOOTLOADER MENU

lj now has you adb push the CROMBi-KK file to the internal SD. You can do that or - a little easier - have a fat32 formatted microSD with the CROMBi-KK file ready and insert it at this point.
    Boot to TWRP, hit "Install" and navigate to the CROMBi-KK file.
    Flash it, reboot once complete and go have some coffee. The first boot will take a while and even after it is complete, I always let the tablet do the initial indexing etc that is going on in the background before really using it. Give it 30 minutes.

Let me know if you need more pointers.
    First rule in flashing: Ask thrice, flash once!
    Enjoy
    Last edited by droidbound; 12-17-2014 at 02:13 PM.
    Gtanner00 likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    Ok, perfect! You're all set to flash the ne0zone TWRP recovery, then do at least a full wipe in TWRP, then flash the rom.

lj recommends a format of data which will erase ALL DATA on your tablet whereas a full wipe of cache, Dalvik and data will leave your personal files like pictures etc untouched.
    I'll leave that up to you, but a fresh, totally clean start may not be a bad idea. lj probably recommends formatting because it cuts down on potential problems caused by something left behind by prior installations and makes supporting his rom easier.
    Fewer customer service calls, you know
    In most cases a full wipe is all you need, but if you then experience lag or reboots, the first thing to do would be to format data and re-install the rom.

Steps:
    Download the upgrade_201_to_300.zip from the CROMBi-KK downloads section.
    Unzip it to it's own folder.
    You can discard the hairybean bootloader/TWRP2.5 file - you got that already.
    Copy the ne0zone_twrp.blob to your fastboot folder and flash it in fastboot - you can follow the instructions in post 4 from that point on.
    gtanner is probably correct, any KK compatible recovery for the TF300 should be ok. But since I do not have first hand experience with that, I'll stick with what the dev recommends.

Next do the format of data as described there (or a wipe of data, cache and Dalvik - your choice.)
    DO THIS IN RECOVERY. NOT - I REPEAT: NOT - FROM THE BOOTLOADER MENU

lj now has you adb push the CROMBi-KK file to the internal SD. You can do that or - a little easier - have a fat32 formatted microSD with the CROMBi-KK file ready and insert it at this point.
    Boot to TWRP, hit "Install" and navigate to the CROMBi-KK file.
    Flash it, reboot once complete and go have some coffee. The first boot will take a while and even after it is complete, I always let the tablet do the initial indexing etc that is going on in the background before really using it. Give it 30 minutes.

Let me know if you need more pointers.
    First rule in flashing: Ask thrice, flash once!
    Enjoy
    Great I think I know what to do and where to go now ,I will have a go over the weekend when I have some time to spare ,its been 2 years since I managed to get the current rom installed and that took me a full weekend ,will read and re read before I have a go just to refresh my memory.but dont be surprised if I do give you a shout

Thank you very much for helping me out

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    2 times
    I had time tonight as the wife went xmas shopping ,so I have upgraded the twerp to 2.7.1.0 and am now waiting for it to finish formatting been about 25 mins up to now ,when thats finished ,Do I fast boot the zip file or unzip the zip file and fast boot transfer each file ? what I mean is I have put the zip GRIMLOCK_tf201_3.0 in my fastboot folder if I run te command
    adb push cm-11.0-2014xxxx-crombi-kk-tf201t.zip /sdcard will that flash it or does that put it on the internal memory and i use twerp to install ?

I Put the zip file on an external sd card and flashed from that ....it seemed to flash ok but on re boot after the flash it did blue bar then 3 penguins then some writing then black screen .....still black screen ? will leave it for 25 mins then panic !

Silly me I had the wrong zip file .....put the right one on the sd card and all up and running with new rom .Now to start putting apps back on .looks and feels faster than hairybean but might just be thats its new

Thanks for the help
    Last edited by Grabo1530; 12-18-2014 at 09:46 PM.
    droidbound likes this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links