Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times

Can't connect to USB and can't root

Tonight I lost some photos on my TF201, and when I went looking for utilities to recover them, they either didn't work or said I had to root the device. In looking how to do that, I tried connecting to my PC via USB and it simply will not connect no matter what I do -- I've installed drivers, installed the Asus sync, turned ON/OFF USB debug, and so on. It's just not recognized.

I found some tools that said they could root the device directly FROM the tablet, no PC necessary. I tried Z4Root, Towelroot, Poot-debug, Framaroot, and SparkyRoot! None of them worked--I didn't have the exploit, a demon showed up with Error 18, or the application simply hung.

Can anybody help me get my pictures back? Or failing that, tell me how to root this thing without a PC/USB connection.

Thanks!

Bee

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Hi Bee,
    welcome to the forum!
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I fail to see how rooting your device would bring your pictures back... Rooting removes the restriction to access and potentially change files on the /system partition which contains the brains and guts of your tablet.
    Your pictures would be on the /data partition and if you erased them I'm afraid they are gone....
    What you could try to do is install the QuickPic app and let it scan your entire device for picture files (.jpg). The Gallery app creates thumbnails of your pictures in addition to the actual full picture files and those may still be hiding somewhere on your /data partition.
    Other than that I'm afraid you just learned that data not backed up is data not yet lost.....

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Droidbound is 100% correct - your photos once deleted are unrecoverable. I recommend using a cloud service (DropBox, Onedrive) to automatically back up photos to prevent loss if you do not have a regular backup routine otherwise.

It has always been the same - back it up or loose it!! And it is a lesson we have all had to learn

Rooting will not do anything for you.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you for the replies! I had found a couple of recovery utilities that said they could restore lost pictures but only if the device was rooted so that higher level access to the internal storage was supported, etc. etc. I'll see if I can find those thumbnails--that's a good idea. Thanks again.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    For anyone interested, I have good news and bad news. . . .

I solved the part about being unable to connect via USB simply by getting a new cable. I had replaced my original cable (which fell apart on the USB end) with one from eBay. That cable works for charging but (obviously!) not for connecting to a PC. I bought a StarTech.Com USB 2.0 cable from Micro Center which says it is ASUS (40 Pin) on its label. Product ID appears to be USB2ASDC50CM. When I connected my TF201 to my Windows 7 PC using this cable, all of a sudden the device was recognized and its drivers downloaded. I did have to go into Settings > Storage > Menu button > USB computer connection and select Media device (MTP).

I was also able to root my TF201 using Motochopper and instructions on Youtube ( ). Very easy.

Thus ends the good news. I tried lots of recovery apps as described below, but I could not get my photos back.

Some of the PC-based apps like Recuva don't work because my TF201 is Android 4.1.1, which uses MTP instead of USB mass storage as the connection method. Other PC-based apps like Dr. Fone did work and found all kinds of files, but not my camera files.

I hesitated to install recovery apps from the Play store because, any time you write something new to your tablet, you might be overwriting the photos you are trying to recover. Plus, so many of these "apps" are really just BADLY written instructions for using PC-based programs, and not apps at all. Seriously, people? I'm frustrated enough, I don't need your time wasters in the Play store.

Anyway.

With nothing to lose, I tried Diskdigger and Undeleter from the Play store, both of which require a rooted device. Both found some files--Undeleter found way more than Diskdigger--but again, none of these were the photos I wanted. Not even ONE, and I have a hard time believing ALL of them got overwritten in between when I accidentally deleted them a day ago, and now.

So, those photos are just gone. And I must say, I feel rather upset with Android. I had connected an external hard drive to my docked tablet, and tried to do a simple cut-and-paste of the photo files from the tablet to the external hard drive. Something went wrong and the paste part did NOT work, but the cut part certainly did! That's not the behavior I was expecting at all. And then there's no trash can, or other convenient way to come back from such an error? That is not user friendly. In fact, it's just wrong.

Going forward, I will certainly use COPY instead of cut-and-paste--and I'll figure out how to have my camera files automatically back themselves up to Google. Lesson learned! Hope some of my narrative is useful to someone.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    483 times
    As a future precaution, it is a good idea to use the automatic photo backup solution provided through google plus photos. I set mine to only upload while charging. This way I always have copies of the pictures I take stored in the cloud.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links