Thread: Can't boot into recovery but can boot normally

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi

I have root acces. But its not possible to flash cm. I think i have to install the recovery.img.sos. I must have cm

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mann1979 View Post
    Hi

I have root acces. But its not possible to flash cm. I think i have to install the recovery.img.sos. I must have cm
    Hold on. If either Droidbound or Letmeknow check in before me they will be able to point you in the right direction. Otherwise I will try to post something later that describes the whole process in detail for you.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times
    Hm.. My english....
    What infos do you need?

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mann1979 View Post
    Hm.. My english....
    What infos do you need?
    To flash a custom rom, you have to have a custom recovery. So you are correct: You need to flash a recovery image.
    But which one depends on which custom rom you want to install... Which CM version supports what you want to do with this tablet? CM11? CM 10.x?
    You also need to have a bootloader that can work with both: The recovery AND the rom you want to flash.

Do this:
    Power the tablet off
    Boot holding the Volume Down and Power buttons until you see some small writing.
    You are now in the bootloader menu.
    Read the small script and write it down. That gives us your current bootloader version.
    Post it here
    PM me if you have trouble understanding - I speak your language

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtanner00 View Post
    Hi Mann.
    It looks like you are doing the process a little haphazardly. This is an old thread and is no longer up to date or relevant. We ha e verified instructions instructions for the 201 on this forum but I am just not able to access them right now. Please be patient and we will be able to help you.
    I am having the exact same problem. Cannot get into Recovery. Is this thread still up to date or is there now a better way of doing things.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Need more information about your situation. Custom/stock rom and recovery? Bootloader version?
    The more details the better.
    I would not use ROM Manager. I've seen it brick Transformers.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi im trying to back up my rooted 4,11 os kernal 3110-00002 g599d0cf , bulid 10.4.2.18 nov 22 2012 ww tf201 bootloader 1.00e if thats right got it off bootloader menu, think its standard rom just rooted but is getting that slow want a newer rom on was looking at how flash something like that katkiss rom started reading about it, so thought i would backup my rom as worst case can get working tablet back but wont backup or enter recovery mode just starts up with the robot and the bar then after few seconds i get the robot fell over with the red triangle in his door . how can i fix this so i can update my rom thanks for any help you can give. tried restoring tablet to factory to get rid of settings done by pimp my rom and few other apps ive tried to make it usable but its still slow as wood . also tried to clear the cache of the bootloader menu still same please help thanks

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    You need to unlock the bootloader and flash a custom recovery. Then you can take a full system backup. The stock recovery does not have that functionality.
    Those are the first steps. Keep reading
    And this is the last help you'll get from me unless you start using punctuation, full sentences and paragraphs. Your post is a pain to read. Really....
    If you don't take the time to write a readable post, why should I take the time and try to make sense if it?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Uncategorised
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi.

I know that thread is old (so device - tf201) But I found lately in home my old Asus Transformer Prime (tf201), and since I was boring, I want to flash it to something newer than JB. And I did exactly the same mistake as hught58 in first post - I installed CWM through ROM Manager with the same effect. But my task is little difficult, cause in my tf201 doesn't work usb connection, so i can't use fastboot

What I did:
    1. Unlocked the bootloader using the Asus tool. It now says "The Device is Unlock" when booting.
    2. Rooted using kingroot, and verified that it worked using RootChecker.
    3. Installed Clockworkmod ROM Manager and through it - CWM (V5.8.3.4)

And when I try to enter to recovery mode it hangs, but after restart it boot up normally to JB.

I want to reconstruct the same steps as in post 11:

Quote Originally Posted by mediadriven View Post
    Assuming you have the jellybean bootloader, here is what I did to fix my similiar problem.
    Download recovery.img.sos from
    Cyanogenmod 11.0 Unofficial TF201 - xda-developers DevDB
    and place it in your fastboot directory. Open a command prompt in that folder by right clicking and choosing open command prompt here.
    Reboot your prime into fastboot.
    Type: fastboot erase recovery
    Then type: fastboot -i 0xb05 flash recovery recovery.img.SOS
    You should see a blue progress bar. Once complete reboot into recovery. This will flash cwm. Like I said you should have the jb bootloader for this to work for you. Hope his helps.
    But as I said I don't have access to fastboot (or any usb connection). Can I do it with Terminal Emulator? And how to get "recovery.img.SOS" file, cause in the link there are only "recovery-f2fs.img" and "recovery.img" files?

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by pepo; 03-02-2016 at 12:58 PM.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    You can do it in Terminal with a dd command but you need to know the partition layout, specifically which partition "Staging" is. Google around a bit, you need to find the mmcblk0p* for staging.
    Alternatively, and I hesitate to recommend it after Rom Manager already flashed the recovery to who knows what partition, you could try Flashify from Play. That is the only app I somewhat trust to flash a recovery. But make sure the app identifies your tablet correctly.
    Do yourself a favor btw and flash TWRP instead of CWM.
    Don't know what Rom you plan to run but the best by far is one of the Katkiss roms.
    For those you need the Hairybean bootloader though....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links