Thread: TF201 Launcher Stopped After I Changed DPI

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    7 times

Question TF201 Launcher Stopped After I Changed DPI

I know, I know (at least *now* I know!), it's not a good idea to change the DPI in the build.prop file...

I have a rooted TF201 (rooted with moto-x, so I think bootloader is still locked??). I had done a nandroid backup and installed the cyanogen custom rom (last stable release) for the Prime. Then I changed the stupid DPI setting in the build.prop file.

Now when I power on, I get the asus logo, the custom animated "Liberty ROM" image shows, then "Launcher has Stopped".

I managed to install ADB on my PC, and can connect to the Prime. I can get to USB debugging on the tablet.

Truthfully (even though I used to mess with PCs in the past) I shouldn't have changed the darn DPI -- now I look around and see many posts that make That Clear!

But I'm still a n00b, and so now -- after a full week of messing with this -- I'm so confused I can't think straight. PLEASE, PLEASE someone take pity on this dumb bunny and help me get that TF201 working again... I would be eternally, eternally grateful!

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    Shouldn't even need adb, just reflash the ROM and gapps. don't bother wiping anything other than delvik and cache, it should over-write the build.prop file for you and bring it back to stock
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    7 times
    Thanks for your quick response! ok, here's the deal:

I'm Very New at all this. I'm afraid I'll screw up (again!).

I could really use some step-by-step hand-holding on how to exactly do what you're suggesting.

(BTW, I'm in Conway, AR... not too far from Memphis!)

Could you, would you be willing ??

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    Basically, you just install the rom again the way you did the first time. I'm going to assume you are using a newer TWRP recovery...

1. boot into recovery
    2. wipe>advance>only select delvik, system and cache
    3. install your cyanogenmod ROM and gapps you used the first time.
    4. reboot -> profit!!!

By the way, your bootloader is not locked if you have cyanogenmod installed on it

Oh Yeah... and hello from Memphis!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    7 times
    Ah, but that's just it -- To install cyanogenmod / gapp stuff originally, I used the ROM Manager (or maybe Rom Toolbox?) app I had installed on my tablet, from my tablet...

Have no idea how to do it now that I cannot launch Rom Manager on the tablet?...

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    Ah, I see. To get into recovery press and hold the power button and the volume down button, when you get to the bootloader screen use volume down to hightlight the RCK option and use volume up to select it. This should put you in recovery. Once you are there let me know what versioin of recovery you have (should say at the top somewhere) and I can give you better instructions.

If there is no RCK option in the bootloader menu then hold power and volume down until you see some white lettering in the top right corner and then press volume up right away (some tablets are different than others on this...)

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    7 times
    OK, I did "press and hold the power button and the volume down button, when you get to the bootloader screen use volume down to hightlight the RCK option" and selected RCK. Next thing I get is the dead android with the exclamation point in the triangle.

Now what?

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    Ok, so you don't have a custom recovery installed. Hmmm. when you boot normally do you see some wording like "this device is unlocked" on the splash screen?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    7 times
    I don't see it, no.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Since you have stock recovery, you must have the stock ROM.

I would go to the Asus support site and download the latest stock firmware for your device. You will need to know your current SKU. This is basically where you bought it. They are country codes (US = United States, CN = China, TW = Taiwan, JP = Japan, DE = Germany, WW = World Wide or everyone else). The two most popular are US and WW.

Unzip this file once - It will still be a zip. If you get a meta and blob, you unzipped it twice.

Place the unzipped zip file on a microSD that is formatted for FAT32 and put it in your device. Boot to RCK and it should trigger a firmware update (this will overwrite the build.prop).
    bfmetcalf likes this.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links