Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    14 times
    I downloaded the files and was just about to root last night. Then, I gave it some more thought. The only reason I wanted to root was Titanium Backup. However, the Asus App Backup/Restore is simple and easy to use. So, nothing to gain from rooting at this point for me. When custom roms start coming out and provide some advantage, I'll root then.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    What about adblocking apps? And getting Hulu to work. Those are good reasons to root. By the way, has anyone lost root with the newest update? I think I'll just wait until ICS is out.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ownzordage View Post
    What about adblocking apps? And getting Hulu to work. Those are good reasons to root. By the way, has anyone lost root with the newest update? I think I'll just wait until ICS is out.
    You can block ads by going into your router settings and blocking certain things.

Also, for $0.99 you can get the app Flash Video Browser that allows Hulu to work on unrooted devices using the Flash from the market.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    Yup, this is why I discourage most people from rooting. For may be 95% of the people out there, rooting is little more than having bragging rights. "Hey, look everybody, I rooted my device, aren't I special or what?"

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    How about ps3 contoroller with the sixaxis app. That requires root. So if you are into gaming....

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    You can easily unroot your device if you need to send it back to Asus, so there really is no downside. Upside is access to new functionality in certain apps. The best app for backing up android devices (Titanium backup) requires root for example.

The real fun comes from custom ROMs, but that will require you to unlock the bootloader with whatever utility Asus eventually releases. THAT will permanentlyvoid your warranty for real, as they will probably log your serial number. Of course, once the devs at XDA have some time to dig into that utility...

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    25 times
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    There's no advantage at all to rooting your device. In fact, rooting your device will void your warranty.
    WHAT???? No advantage to rooting your device?? I have a number of utilities that need root access to run.

Such as Titanium Backup to make backup off everything I've installed and my setting so that if my device dies I can quickly get it back to working the way I want without re-downloading and re-installing all my apps. On my old tablet this saved me days/hours when I had a hardware problem with my device. That sounds like an advantage to me.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    25 times
    p.s. Oh and on the 'no advantage at all' I globally hate all global statements like that. couldn't resist.

Also root gives you the advantage to do simple things like remove bloat-ware and other apps that are forced on you. I don't have Netflix and every time I go in the market it wants me to update it, and it won't let me un-install it. Rooted I can get rid of it and I am sure there are other apps that are there taking up space and battery power like Talk, MMS and ServiceProvider.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    The idea of advantages of rooting are subjective to each user. I hate to say it, but Titanium Backup is not applicable to any of the ASUS tablets since they have an App Backup. In less than 30 minutes I can backup or restore my device if I were not rooted.

If you want to root, go ahead and root. I agree that most users do not need to root. Those that feel it is essential should go ahead and root.

To add to this, if you as the question 'Why should I root', you probably should not be rooting your device.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    25 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    The idea of advantages of rooting are subjective to each user. I hate to say it, but Titanium Backup is not applicable to any of the ASUS tablets since they have an App Backup. .
    I hate to be such a pain and disagree so directly but if you already have Titanium backups of other devices with other apps/setting for those apps exactly how you wanted after a ton of setup time then yes it is applicable and the Asus App Backup does NO GOOD for that type of situation!

However once I get my Prime how I want it then yes I would but since I already like and use Titanium, and might switch to a different device in a while why would I want to use/learn another backup. So for your logic then since the Prime has a version of Office with it then Asus should disable the installation of any other Office type program

Yes it is subjective to every person but to say rooting is not needed at all is wrong. I do agree that 90ish percent will never need to and if they did was damage something but also 90 percent of the people I know really do more damage on their PC because they are administrators but that doesn't mean it should globally be removed.

p.s. Yes I am having fun argueing, mostly because I'm a shades of gray person not a black and white person such as the arguement of 'no advantage at all to rooting your device' or 'Titanium Backup is not applicable to any of the ASUS tablets'. Feel free to discourage but to say there is no advantage or not applicable isn't correct even if there is no advantage to you or not applicable to you. I enjoyed this very much

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links