Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    6 times

Transformer Prime - please recommend battery packs that work?

I'm going to be traveling and wanted to carry some extra power with me. To that end I bought a portable power pack to ensure that I would have juice available. I bought a PNY portable charger and tried hooking it up with my tablet. No dice, it simply did not accept charge from the charger. I connected my phone and it recognizes it and charges no problem. I used an Asus cable, with the USB connection into the charger and the usual plug into the tablet. The charger had two USB slots for charging and tried both. No luck. I have an extra Asus charging cable and tried using that. Same result. The charger would charge the phone but not the tablet.

I assumed it was a compatibility issue with the portable charger and so I returned the portable charger and tried picking up another one. The second one I got was a Verbatim charger. I tried all the same variations and got the same result. The portable charger will charge my phone with no problem, but not my tablet. Using a wall plug and it charges just fine.

I'm based in North America and am using all north American bought products, so the electrical components should be compatible. I'm now wondering whether there's some kind of voltage issue that I'm not aware of or whether all power going into the tablet must pass through the wall wart to be converted/recognized. As you might have guessed already, I'm no electrician, and I just don't know what the problems or variables might be here. Can you guys provide some guidance? Do I need to alter the circumstances for charging or are only some tyoes of portable charges compatible?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    471 times
    You need 15 volts to charge these things.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    6 times
    OK, so most of these larger portable power sources say that they're tablet compatible, and they seem to mostly have 5V power output. Does the Prime have different power charging requirements? It seems odd that the power outlay would need to be different for a Transformer Prime than for other tablets, but that's fine if it is. I just need to understand then that any portable power source that produces 15V (or higher? or does it have to be 15V) in its specs should be suitable for charging my tablet? Does the amperage make any difference?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    6 times
    perhaps someone could recommend battery packs that work with the Prime?

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    81 times
    I believe that anything from 12~15 volts should be satisfactory (but the closer to 15 the better) and to get a reasonable rate of charge you would want a capacity of 2 amps from your charging device - more won't matter, the TF will only take what it needs, but less could result in longer charging times.

I would not use a voltage higher than 15 volts.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    If you check the "similar threads" at the bottom of this page you'll notice this has been asked several times.The Prime needs 15volts to charge the tablet. At 5 volts it will take many hours to charge. Best to use the Asus stock charger. There may be a few aftermarket charges that work.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    First of all, let me recommend that you read through our "definitive guide" on battery related matters - it is linked from the Master Help Guide (see link in my signature) - as it will explain in depth the reasons behind the various answers you have received & give you the necessary information to ensure you have charge available to you when you are on the road. Your safest, cheapest & most flexible option for going forward IMO - assuming you will have a car - is to buy a small inverter & then plug your stock Asus charger into that.

Quote Originally Posted by talion View Post
    OK, so most of these larger portable power sources say that they're tablet compatible, and they seem to mostly have 5V power output.
    All android Asus Transformers require 15v to charge normally. The tablet will only charge on its own from a 5v source when it is powered off. Even then it will only charge at around 2-3% per hour.

Does the Prime have different power charging requirements? It seems odd that the power outlay would need to be different for a Transformer Prime than for other tablets, but that's fine if it is. I just need to understand then that any portable power source that produces 15V (or higher? or does it have to be 15V) in its specs should be suitable for charging my tablet?
    Yes, the charging requirements are different - as are the pin outs on the charger & cable, so even a source that outputs 15v (in the unlikely event that you can find one) is not guaranteed to work.

Does the amperage make any difference?
    As long as the amperage is the same as or greater than the stock charger, charging will be fine. If it is less than the TF is expecting, it may seek to draw more current than the charger is capable of providing. This will not damage your TF, but it may cause overheating (& therefore damage) to that charger.

Under no circumstances should you try to use a charger with a higher voltage than the Asus charger. This will fry your device

I slightly edited your thread title for you so that if any other Prime owner has had success in getting/using a portable power pack, then they would be more likely to recommend it for you.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by janner43; 01-13-2014 at 03:21 AM.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links