Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Any battery backups compatible?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Any battery backups compatible?

I realize with the dock and it's incredible battery life this might be a mute question for most, however I was looking at the New Trent IMP1000 for my phones also realizing it's 5v output is half what the Prime requires. Anyone aware of anything out there?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad (7")
    Liked
    0 times
    Unfortunately, no.

Even the big ones (like this one at Think Geek) only output 5v.

The backup batteries seem to focus on long life, not high output. And seem geared toward "normal" powered gadgets that need only 5v.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Check out the tekkeon My power all.

The Tekkeon MyPowerall is compatible if you purchase the adapter. I have a small tekCharge 1800 and it is a great product I use it for battery back up and to power usb speakers that have a line-in. I was hoping that it would work as a back up power source for the tf201 but it unfortunately did not. I am going to get a myPowerAll when I have the chance.
    Tekkeon - myPower ALL, MP3300/MP3400/MP3450

http://tekkeon.com/downloads/compati...ad_myPower.pdf

Well that is if the tf201 has the same power requirements as the tf101. If not I'd check their adapters to see if the output mA and Voltage match up. If not I am sure that they will an adapter soon.

Either way its a good company to know about.
    Last edited by eveningstardesign; 03-07-2012 at 01:54 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    here's the adapter tip that will give 2.1 amp 5v power. Which after looking at the incredibly tiny print on the actual Asus Charger, (5V 2 amps) its a question of whether or not that .1 amps will harm the Prime.
    Tekkeon, Inc.

The thing that I find odd is that the Tablet charges from my computers usb port when syncing.... yet it won't charge from other amperages when not connected for data transfer.
    Last edited by eveningstardesign; 03-07-2012 at 02:11 PM.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    One of our users got one of the Energizer Energi To Go and used the Laptop output to a USB custom cable to get more than 5 VDC to USB here: http://www.transformerforums.com/for...h-user-go.html

Another (sarcastic) suggestion is to take a car battery and a USB cable with a female connector on it. Connect the Black of the USB to the -, the Red of the USB to the + on the battery. I suspect you can go about 1-2 weeks without needing a recharge with your 50 lb tablet.
    GGS and Bob_of_QF like this.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    81 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    One of our users got one of the Energizer Energi To Go and used the Laptop output to a USB custom cable to get more than 5 VDC to USB here: http://www.transformerforums.com/for...h-user-go.html

Another (sarcastic) suggestion is to take a car battery and a USB cable with a female connector on it. Connect the Black of the USB to the -, the Red of the USB to the + on the battery. I suspect you can go about 1-2 weeks without needing a recharge with your 50 lb tablet.
    Actually, I could use something like that this weekend, and I'll certainly be following up on the idea. I'm a radio amateur and for part of my use profile long on time is good, and since a 100 watt HF transmitter doesn't run for long off a small battery the size/weight of what's powering the TF is trivial compared to what's needed to run the radio.

The only thing is that the 12v would need to be applied to the appropriate wires of a USB3 cable, otherwise you'd apply 12v to a USB port when it was expecting 5v, which is unlikely to be a long term success.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Actually, I could use something like that this weekend, and I'll certainly be following up on the idea. I'm a radio amateur and for part of my use profile long on time is good, and since a 100 watt HF transmitter doesn't run for long off a small battery the size/weight of what's powering the TF is trivial compared to what's needed to run the radio.

The only thing is that the 12v would need to be applied to the appropriate wires of a USB3 cable, otherwise you'd apply 12v to a USB port when it was expecting 5v, which is unlikely to be a long term success.
    It does not have to be a USB 3.0 cable. The TF charger uses a USB 3.0 cable to DETECT the TF to put out 15 VDC.

I took a standard USB car charger and stripped the components off the PCB inside. I took a piece of wire and wired PIN 1 to the back side of the 1.5 Amp fuse. The ground was already connected.

All you need to do is have 12 VDC across Pin 1 and Pin 4 where Pin 1 is +12 VDC and Pin 4 is Ground or Negative terminal. If you use a USB cord and cut it, Pin 1 should be RED and Pin 4 should be Black. Green and white do not need to be connected.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    81 times
    Ah, ok - I thought the TF was also expecting the higher voltage to be on different pins to the 5 volt supply as well - suddenly this becomes a fairly trivial thing to build.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I use the Energizer 8000 with the Willy and it charges up both the tablet and keyboard extremely fast.
    I don't like soldering or opening up electronic parts, so I simply cut off the tip on the "Output" side of the Willy and attached the red and black wires to the red and black wires of a spare male/female USB cord leaving the female end intact. Simply plug your Transformer USB charger cord into the new female USB "Output" and plug the "Input" end into the 19 volt outlet on the Energizer.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    OK, on a lark I tried plugging my Prime into my Powertrip. I'd assumed it wouldn't work. Little LED"s started going like it was charging. So I checked and sure enough, even using the Prime after 5 minutes I'd gone from 83% battery to 86%. Not the fastest, but does work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links