Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Any battery backups compatible?

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    145 times
    Yep-- pushing 12.5v (the nominal voltage of a fully charged lead acid car battery) into the TF's charging circuits will bring the batteries up to full.

I suspect the rate is slower than the official ASUS charger because there is no handshaking going on-- in a normal (proper) USB charging circuit, the power device and the phone/tablet/etc will talk to each other via USB, and negotiate a normal data connection. Then the charger tells the device how many amps it can supply.

Or at least, this is what is supposed to happen.

So I suspect the "dead" data wires (by ignoring the extra two wires) causes the TF's charging circuits to use it's lowest power setting.

But I could be full of it here, and it may just be due to 12.5v instead of 15v...

... I'd love to see someone who knows how to do it, snoop the official ASUS charger's USB communication during a charge cycle... a break-out box ought to work here.
    TF101 B70 series, USA running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3, rooted. 64gb microSDXC, keyboard dock with 32gb microSDHC in an adapter
    Dell Streak 7 running Honeycomb 3.2, rooted. 64gb SDXC. Mainly used as a music player.
    Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider, rooted -- frequently used as WiFi hotspot. 16gb microSDHC.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    58 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    Another (sarcastic) suggestion is to take a car battery and a USB cable with a female connector on it. Connect the Black of the USB to the -, the Red of the USB to the + on the battery. I suspect you can go about 1-2 weeks without needing a recharge with your 50 lb tablet.
    Is there a suitable silicon gel sleeve for the battery? Perhaps one with wheels?

32GB Asus Infinity w. Amethyst keyboard
    32GB Asus Champagne Prime - gone
    64GB Asus Champagne Prime - gone
    32GB Asus Transformer B60 - gone

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    So I emailed Tekkeon about the MyPowerAll... they replied with "The MP3450 with our adapter UA-USB (not included) will allow you to select 14V and connect your ASUS tablet to charge." So my assumption that the MyPowerAll is compatible with the Transformer Prime, and the necessity of needing an accessory was correct.. There is a purchasable solution to battery backup. When I have the available disposable income, I will be purchasing and testing and will reply back to this thread. In the meantime... :P and here are the links for the products:
    http://www.tekkeon.com/productcart/p...9&idproduct=22
    though after looking at the specs for the UA-USB i still have some questions... I know this battery has the capability of backup power with the prime.. what are the power req. for the tf101?
    so i got a quick response from the Tekkeon team this time.. and I received:
    "The MP3450 is a multi voltage battery and what ever voltage you select is going to be the voltage that comes out of the cable and the adapter connected to it.

The UA-USB is designed to USB devices that do not require more then 5-6V of power. Anything higher would damage those devices.

Since the Transformer can accept up too 15V, then you can safely select 14V and have not problems charging the Transformer Prime."

Again, when I am able (hopefully soon) I will be purchasing and testing this battery backup.
    Last edited by eveningstardesign; 06-01-2012 at 10:23 AM.
    Bob_of_QF likes this.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    145 times
    That is gratifying the company actually responded to your questions. So many companies these days send what is basically a canned response to inquiries.

If I had a need for this, I'd give it a try myself.
    TF101 B70 series, USA running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3, rooted. 64gb microSDXC, keyboard dock with 32gb microSDHC in an adapter
    Dell Streak 7 running Honeycomb 3.2, rooted. 64gb SDXC. Mainly used as a music player.
    Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider, rooted -- frequently used as WiFi hotspot. 16gb microSDHC.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I have received my Tekkeon MP3450 and am using the MP3300-16 adapter at 14v setting and my tf201 is receiving a charge. There is a purchasable batter backup, never mind that the battery works universally. It works with my 12v subwoofer, it works with my laptop, my mifi, my external cd drive, and my alesis multimix 6... comes with a variety of adapters... TF201 confirmed backup/universal battery confirmation.

and Bob_of_QF... the support team at Tekkeon is unparalleled. I have been back and forth with questions about new products and possible uses for years...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links