Thread: CROMI-X & CROMBI-kk ROMs for TF701 Available - post #5

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    9 times

CROMI-X & CROMBI-kk ROMs for TF701 Available - post #5

I was surprised that the preeminent CROMi-X ROM isn't being mentioned here. I usually use CyanogenMod ROMs on my devices but from what I'm reading CROMi-X is specific to the Asus Transformer line so is actually more stable and blazing fast. Note that this is currently JB only, not a bad thing as that's what drivers are available, whereas CM is currently developing for KK. Hopefully one day we'll see KK on our TF701. In the meantime, a link to the forum on XDA:

[ROM]★★[JB 4.3][CROMi-X 6.0.1a][Asus Optimized | ODEX | DEODEX 10.26.1.18][FEB 21]★★ - xda-developers

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    I think it's pretty much guarateed that the TF701 will get KK sooner or later. And you can bet your .... house... on it that sbdags is going to develop a CROMi-X version for that firmware release. He and lj50036 are currently developing a CROMBi-KK version for the TF700 that is shattering all performance records on that tablet. It's a zombie of CROMi (Asus based firmware) and CM11 KitKat. I think it's a matter of days until he breaches 10,000 Quadrant score (latest tests were at 9800) - on the TF700, ladies and gentlemen! The TF700 which gets maybe 4500 on stock!
    Makes me drool thinking what he can do with the hardware on this baby.....

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ConfuciusTse View Post
    I was surprised that the preeminent CROMi-X ROM isn't being mentioned here. I usually use CyanogenMod ROMs on my devices but from what I'm reading CROMi-X is specific to the Asus Transformer line so is actually more stable and blazing fast. Note that this is currently JB only, not a bad thing as that's what drivers are available, whereas CM is currently developing for KK. Hopefully one day we'll see KK on our TF701. In the meantime, a link to the forum on XDA:

[ROM]★★[JB 4.3][CROMi-X 6.0.1a][Asus Optimized | ODEX | DEODEX 10.26.1.18][FEB 21]★★ - xda-developers
    In case you hadn't seen this thread, they have rolled out KK for the Transformer. I've been running it for a few weeks and it's been pretty stable, except that my battery indicator doesn't seem to be running down - stays at 100% until battery is dead.

[ROM]★★★[KitKat 4.4.2][CROMBi-kk 20140309][3 Kernels | ROM2SD | CM11 Base][MAR 12]★★★ - xda-developers

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    9 times
    I believe that's for the TF700 (Tegra 3), this section and thread is for the TF701 (Tegra 4).

I have no idea what's taking Asus so long to release 4.4.2 for the TF701 considering it's so close to stock as it is. Even my Galaxy Note 3 just finally got it only some FOUR months after release. Asus really seems to be dropping the ball on this version.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    19 times
    Both my CROMi-X (4.3) and CROMBi-kk (4.4.2) roms are available for the TF701T I recommend CROMi-X to start with as it is more stable and faster.

CROMI-X

CROMBI-kk
    frenziedfemale and pierro78 like this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    9 times
    How about now? CROMI or CROMBI? I'm leaning towards CROMBI as it's the later one from Google but if it's significantly less stable then I'll go with CROMI. Can I just do a simple upgrade later or do I need to wipe and start over again?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    8 times
    I believe CROMI is more stable. The best place to ask is on xda-developers, where the ROM developer (sdbags) hangs out.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    How about now? CROMI or CROMBI? I'm leaning towards CROMBI as it's the later one from Google but if it's significantly less stable then I'll go with CROMI. Can I just do a simple upgrade later or do I need to wipe and start over again?
    CROMi-X is Asus stock JB 4.2.1 based. CROMBi-KK is CM11 JB 4.4 based. You have to do a full wipe in recovery including data to go from one to the other.
    Unless you just nandroid your CROMi-X installation and restore it if you don't like CROMBi-KK naturally Or vice versa.
    CROMBi-KK is stable but has some bugs since it's not optimized to work with our dock. Go for CROMi-X first and try CROMBi-KK on a rainy day when you're bored (and don't forget that nandroid!)
    Last edited by droidbound; 07-01-2014 at 08:18 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    9 times
    Hmmm, first time I'll be flashing this device and I do hating wiping to switch back and forth. From what I read at some point, CROMBi-KK is just missing the SD card support in the dock, I can live with that. I'm getting the feeling that Asus has abandoned us so likely future updates will continue to be CM based, not Asus stock.

Decisions, decisions...

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Hmmm, first time I'll be flashing this device and I do hating wiping to switch back and forth. From what I read at some point, CROMBi-KK is just missing the SD card support in the dock, I can live with that. I'm getting the feeling that Asus has abandoned us so likely future updates will continue to be CM based, not Asus stock.

Decisions, decisions...
    It soon becomes second nature. One of the benefits of getting into the flashing habit is that your backup routine gets better and better - which IMHO is a standard requirement for a portable (and dropable) device anyway.
    Sync all your data from /data/media/ or sdcard/0/ as it's called in JB to the cloud. Google Drive, Dropbox, even Asus Sync give you plenty of options for free cloud storage.
    Use a custom launcher like Apex, ADW or Nova that has a backup option and use it.
    For non-system apps use Titanium Backup.
    And then you can always selectively restore only the data portion of your nandroid.

For a clean install of a new rom I prefer to restore my apps from Tiatnium Backup (including my launcher) and then the launchers backup. With that I'm 90% back to where I left off on the old rom.
    All in all it takes 45 minutes or less from flashing a new rom to being back to a functional tablet.

CROMBi-KK works fine with the dock SD. The bugs currently are: If you use the Volume buttons on the dock you loose the Power button. Sometimes using the Vol buttons again restores the power button, but sometimes you have to reboot the tablet.
    Closing the lid on the dock/tablet combo does not turn off the screen. If you close the lid without first turning off via the power button, you end up with all kinds of "ghost touches" while tablet is closed.
    All these may be solved in future updates - but that's where we are now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links