Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    0 times

Cracked Screen, What to do?

So I have had my Transformer for a little over a year and it has given me very few problems. The cable supplied by ASUS burned out but I replaced it and it was working well....until, like a fool I dropped it. It was in a portfolio case, which I guess limited the damage. I still bristle at how few good cases there are for the Tf701. Anyway, it fell right on the top corner, between the power button and the volume rocker. There is a crack that semi-circles from the edge to the top and is about 4 inches long. There do not seem to be any display issues, but since the drop, there seem to be problems with the touchscreen.

It still registers touches fairly accurately, but depending on how the tablet is held, the screen does not respond. Sometimes the top text information (IE the time & settings on the right side AND the notifications on the left side) on the screen will disappear, then come back. While they are hidden, the tablet does not respond to touches, but when they are back, the screen works. Also, when I am using Chrome and Dolphin browsers, the side screens where the "extra features" are (IE. incognito mode) will slide into the screen and sometimes activate.

Anyway, I really like my tablet and am wondering what people think needs to be replaced. I have seen digitizer/glass assemblies on some sites for about the $70 dollar range. I saw an "LCD/Digitizer assembly on E-bay for $180, which to me would just as soon push me to save up for a new tablet. I saw an LCD for $76 dollars on another site. As I said, the display appears fine, but the glass is cracked and I am experiencing erratic screen activity depending on how I hold the tablet.

Any help is appreciated.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    To replace the screen is a bit involved since you have to separate it from digitizer - and put both back together. Much easier to replace the LCD/digitizer unit.
    Watch this, then decide if you're up to it.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    0 times
    Looks like a big job, but not impossible. If you don't have money, then you got to put in the time. I know the screen is cracked but my concern is whether the LCD is messed up too and I should just get a new one or risk just getting the touch screen replacement.

Thanks for the reply.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Change both if you are going to do it (remembering there are no guarantees of success & at least a chance you might do more damage) - so, honestly, if budget is tight, I would consider wiping it & selling it on Ebay or similar & then put those funds together with the saved spend on the replacement screen & buy a new device.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks Janner. I was afraid of that. Definitely no guarantee. I would have to agree that changing both would be tantamount to paying 3/4 the price of a new tablet. What do you think a good price would be for a Tf701t with a cracked screen? It is a fine machine, but it would basically be for parts, or for someone with a better skill set who had extra parts laying around who wanted to tinker.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Check Ebay for other similar sales. Or Craigslist? if you are in the US. In the UK we have something called Gumtree, too.

I found one listing for $120 - add the $180 and you have $300 for a new device.

I guess I would think of something like $80-100 for your TF701 & then you would effectively have a pot of around $250 - you could get a T100 for that (Windows) or a Chromebook or a different Android tablet.

Choices, choices...

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links