Thread: [GUIDE] Fix TF701T Screen goes black and won't turn back on

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Actually I don't think discharging the battery is such a good idea. There is a possibility it will not charge if completely drained. You should have called for an RMA months ago... Glad it came back to life. Leaving it constantly plugged in is also bad for the battery. All of this is covered in the Battery Use Guide, found in the Master Help Guide. Check out Battery University as well.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    @rednroll

What you describe seems perfectly consistent to me. What happens is that the electronics get "confused" - the mix of software and hardware cannot be turned off via the normal soft or hard techniques and the only way to restart something like that is to disconnect the power. If you can pull a plug or physically disconnect a battery, then the result is that upon power being resupplied, the device then works normally again.

The exact same thing can be seen in virtually any electronic device - even a VCR or similar household device. A whole lot of problems can be resolved by a disconnection of power - which ever way it happens.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Swipe View Post
    Actually I don't think discharging the battery is such a good idea. There is a possibility it will not charge if completely drained. You should have called for an RMA months ago... Glad it came back to life. Leaving it constantly plugged in is also bad for the battery. All of this is covered in the Battery Use Guide, found in the Master Help Guide. Check out Battery University as well.
    You're probably right. Sometimes I get really busy at work where if I'm in the middle of a work project, it can be months before I get some free time in following up on non-essential items like contacting Asus, going though follow up trouble shooting Q&A, then packaging everything up, and making a trip to the post office in what would be necessary to go through an RMA process. All while trying to balance that heavy work load with a family life of 2 kids and a wife who require dad's undivided attention. I actually brought the tablet into work with me, thinking I might try to follow up on this stuff during a lunch or coffee break but that never happened, I was working through lunch most days. My company moved to a new building and it was during that move that I decided to take the tablet home, where it then sat for 3-4 months untouched and not charging.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who hasn't read the use guidelines on tablet batteries and likely not the only one who doesn't have much interest in doing so. If you would like to post the short summary version, I'ld be happy to read through that.

I'm just glad my TF701t is back to working, where it's good to find out others have experienced the same problem, which let's me know there isn't anything specifically defective with my tablet and there seems to be a bug related to sleep mode which is causing it.

Cheers!!!
    Last edited by Rednroll; 02-03-2016 at 09:21 AM.
    Transformer Book T100TA (T100TA-C1-GR,CPU:Baytrail Z3740 1.3Ghz,64GB,BIOS:313,WIN 8.1)
    Transformer Pad TF701t (K00C,CPU:Tegra 4 1.9Ghz,32GB,Android 4.4.2)
    Transform Pad TF103CE (CPU: Baytrail-T Z3745 1.33Ghz,16GB,Android 5.0)
    (4)MeMO Pad HD7 (ME173X/ME173L,CPU:MediaTek MT8125 1.2GHz,16/8GB,Android 4.2.2)
    Ultrabook 15.6 (N53SN,CPU:Core i7-2630QM 2.0Ghz,750GB,Win7 Ult 64bit)

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post

I'm sure I'm not the only one who hasn't read the use guidelines on tablet batteries and likely not the only one who doesn't have much interest in doing so. If you would like to post the short summary version, I'ld be happy to read through that.
    Go to the Master Help Guide, look up the "definitive guide to battery use on the Asus range of tablets" or whatever it's called and read Post #1
    I'm just glad my TF701t is back to working, where it's good to find out others have experienced the same problem, which let's me know there isn't anything specifically defective with my tablet and there seems to be a bug related to sleep mode which is causing it.

Cheers!!!
    Right back at ya
    Last edited by Swipe; 02-03-2016 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Added my Signature - see the Master Help Guide-Android tablets

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    @rednroll - Summary

Battery Care & Maintenance

One important thing to say is that it is not recommended that you leave your tablet permanently connected to a/c. Doing so will shorten the life of your battery. You can read the sections below for further guidance on battery care & maintenance. You will find many discussions in our definitive guide linked in the Master Help Guide if you wish to ask subsequent questions or debate the advice shown here.

Charging problems with your tablet.

We often get posts asking for help with devices that are refusing to charge. Sometimes, the solution to the problem can be as simple as using the correct charger for your device. Not all a/c chargers are the same. Just because they have a USB connection does not mean they will charge whatever tablet you own.

So the first thing to check is that you are using the manufacturer supplied charger, or at least a charger that has the same output as the charger supplied by the manufacturer. This output can be read on the manufacturers' charger and the two important pieces of information will be the voltage and the amperage. A powered on PC USB port, for example, outputs at 5v/500ma.

The second thing to check is that you are using the charging cable that came with your device. Third party cables (especially those without a lot of owner reviews) sometimes just don't work! Also check to see that your cable and connectors are not damaged.

If you are happy that your charger and cable are fine, (or even if you are not sure on this point) then the third thing to do is to resolve charging issues with the tablet & keyboard seperated. Charge the tablet on its own when you are trying to resolve this sort of issue.

The next thing to try is the trickle charge trick.

Trickle Charging
    Lithium based batteries don't like being completely flattened. Sometimes in that condition they will not accept a charge from the regular charger until they have got a little charge in them. In order for that to happen, connecting to a 5v/500ma connection - such as a powered on (& not sleeping) PC USB port, or a low power phone charger (5v/500ma) - for 8 hours or so, then enables the device to get a charge from the regular a/c charger.

So, the process would be...
    • Device refuses to charge (or power on) when connected to the a/c charger.
    • Using the charging cable, connect to a powered on (& not sleeping) PC USB port, or a low power phone charger (5v/500ma)
    • Leave the device connected for a minimum of 8 hours. Longer won't be any problem.
    • Reconnect the device to the a/c charger and try again
    • If that process fails, try replacing either the charger and/or charging cable

Frequent, smaller charges are better for your battery.

Most will be familiar with the fact that a mechanical device wears out faster with heavy use. This analogy applies well when considering the life expectancy of a battery. Given that batteries in tablet devices are not easily replaced, it is worth considering the depth of discharge (DoD) to which tablet devices are allowed to discharge as this determines the cycle count (the number of times the battery can be recharged). The shorter the discharge, the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid full discharges and charge the battery more often between uses. Partial discharge with lithium based batteries is fine; there is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles to prolong life.

A partial discharge reduces stress and prolongs battery life. Elevated temperature and high currents (produced when charging from a deep DoD) also affect cycle life.

In the list below you can see that charging at around 50% DoD will mean that your battery lasts around twice as long as charging at a low DoD
    • 100% DoD - 300 to 500 charge cycles
    • 50% DoD - 1,200 to 1,500 charge cycles
    • 25% DoD - 2,000 to 2,500 charge cycles
    • 10% DoD - 3,750 to 4,700 charge cycles

Accurate battery charge reporting (calibration).

That said, however, occasional full recharges, perhaps once every 8-12 weeks - from around 10-20% to full - are a good idea as this enables the software reporting of the level of charge in the battery to stay accurate.

Calibration occurs naturally by occasionally running the tablet down until the battery is fully depleted and “Low Battery” appears. The full discharge sets the discharge flag, and the subsequent recharge sets the charge flag. By establishing these two markers, the battery can calculate the state-of-charge by knowing the distance between the flags

If you have a tablet that is not reporting full charge levels, or inaccurate charge levels, a couple of full "low battery - recharge to full" cycles will invariably resolve that issue.

It will work best if you connect the tablet to the a/c charger and then power off the tablet. This enables the battery to charge without any need for it to maintain a powered on device. So the process would be...
    • Tablet reports "low battery"
    • Promptly finish whatever you were doing
    • Connect to the a/c charger
    • Switch on the a/c power
    • Power off the tablet until the device is fully charged

Acknowledgements to Battery University for some of the information contained in this post.
    Rednroll likes this.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    Wow, J., that's quite a summary! Now that you've done your master's thesis, what'll you do for a phd?

All kidding aside, given the ubiquity of lithium-powered devices nowadays, this info should be taught in, say, third grade. The near-universal ignorance concerning electricity and electronic devices is something I find appalling, inexcusable, and actually dangerous. I often see people attempting to charge electric vehicles through 10 or 20 meters of 1-mm-squared wire, and they wonder why it caught fire.
    Swipe and janner43 like this.
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times

The Summary should be required reading ! I'm glad I found Battery University a few years ago and mentioned it here on the forum. I'd like to see the summary stickied and maybe it's own thread - closed - as a good reference point.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinthefixer View Post
    Wow, J., that's quite a summary! Now that you've done your master's thesis, what'll you do for a phd?

All kidding aside, given the ubiquity of lithium-powered devices nowadays, this info should be taught in, say, third grade. The near-universal ignorance concerning electricity and electronic devices is something I find appalling, inexcusable, and actually dangerous. I often see people attempting to charge electric vehicles through 10 or 20 meters of 1-mm-squared wire, and they wonder why it caught fire.
    It wasn't much work - I just copied & pasted the sticky post from the T100 guide thread I had written previously...

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Thanks for posting the info here Janner.

Based on this:
    100% DoD - 300 to 500 charge cycles
    50% DoD - 1,200 to 1,500 charge cycles
    25% DoD - 2,000 to 2,500 charge cycles
    10% DoD - 3,750 to 4,700 charge cycles

I'm going to assume my typical use cases are ok. I typically, have most of my devices connected to the charger and powered off when not in use. Thus, in their charging state. Then when I want to use them, I disconnect the device (battery=100%). I use the device and when it typically falls between 50%-80% charge, I put it back on the charger overnight, so it's ready for my next use.

What happened in this instance, is that the battery was at about 50% and the screen turned black due to the sleep problem. I put it on the charger, checked it every week or so to see if it was working, then powered it back off when it wasn't. That went on for about 3 months. Then, I moved offices, took the tablet home at that time where it sat in my garage for 3-4 months in a sealed moving box container with a bunch of my other personal belongings. So really, this tablet's battery has only been completely drained one time and that's what seems to have fixed the problem. Now that it is out of warranty, I'll take it apart and disconnect the battery if it happens again.
    janner43 likes this.
    Transformer Book T100TA (T100TA-C1-GR,CPU:Baytrail Z3740 1.3Ghz,64GB,BIOS:313,WIN 8.1)
    Transformer Pad TF701t (K00C,CPU:Tegra 4 1.9Ghz,32GB,Android 4.4.2)
    Transform Pad TF103CE (CPU: Baytrail-T Z3745 1.33Ghz,16GB,Android 5.0)
    (4)MeMO Pad HD7 (ME173X/ME173L,CPU:MediaTek MT8125 1.2GHz,16/8GB,Android 4.2.2)
    Ultrabook 15.6 (N53SN,CPU:Core i7-2630QM 2.0Ghz,750GB,Win7 Ult 64bit)

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post

I'm going to assume my typical use cases are ok. I typically, have most of my devices connected to the charger and powered off when not in use. Thus, in their charging state.
    This is not advisable. Even though they are powered off they obviously are being charged - and leaving these devices plugged in is not recommended.

Then when I want to use them, I disconnect the device (battery=100%). I use the device and when it typically falls between 50%-80% charge, I put it back on the charger overnight, so it's ready for my next use.
    Since most of your devices will be fully charged in 4-5 hours maximum this again may stress the battery -- especially if you do this daily.

There are videos on Youtube regarding fixing the "unable to charge" syndrome by opening up the tablet, disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links