Thread: Tablet won't turn on or charge

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    1 times

Tablet won't turn on or charge

Yesterday I fully charged my tablet (TF701T) + dock, then after unplugging it I didn't actually touch it again until today. When I went to mess with it today, the tablet wouldn't turn on. Thinking that maybe somehow it had lost its charge, I plugged it in again only to find that the LED on the tablet will not light up to indicate that it is charging.

Thinking it may be the charger that's the problem, I plugged it into the keyboard dock alone and the dock's LED lit up green, so it remains fully charged. This also occurs when I have the tablet docked: dock LED is green, tablet LED is off.

I've tried holding down the tablet's power button, power + volume up, power + volume down, all with no luck. I contacted ASUS and they recommended sending it in, so I got an RMA number and will probably be sending it in tomorrow.

Before I send it in, I just want to check with you lot and see if anyone has any other troubleshooting ideas for me. I'm probably going to leave it plugged in overnight tonight just to see what happens.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Welcome to the forum. Have a look at the Master Help Guide. I would try the Cold Boot procedure, if that doesn't solve the problem I would try some of the tips in the Battery Use Guide. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the tip. I've looked at the cold boot procedure and I tried that before, but just tried it again for good measure. Unfortunately that didn't work. I know the charger isn't the problem because my dock's LED lights up when plugged in. However, I'm trying the freezer trick right now (it's been in for about 10 minutes, so I'll try that out a little later). If that doesn't work, I'll double-check that the charger is still working with the dock, and then just leave it plugged into the tablet directly for the night and see if maybe it gets enough charge to boot up tomorrow morning.

If that doesn't work and I haven't heard any other ideas, I think I'll ship it to ASUS tomorrow and see what they can do. I would rather not be without it for that long and risk losing my data, but there's nothing absolutely critical on there that isn't backed up elsewhere (all I'd lose is progress in some games, which is annoying but certainly isn't life-altering). I've only had the tablet for about a month and a half at this point and just yesterday I was raving about how I've been nothing but satisfied with the purchase. :/

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Last ditch attempt could be to trickle charge it through USB. Sometimes it works - sometime it doesn't...
    Connect it to your PC with the original USB cable and make sure the computer doesn't sleep or hibernate. The charging indicator will not come on. It's a very slow charge, but sometimes it seems to revive an other unresponive tablet.
    Good luck!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the suggestion, droidbound! I tried the freezer trick with no luck (I double-checked the charger was still working by testing with my dock). Then I had the tablet plugged into the wall for 3.5 hours with no luck, so I'm trying your USB trick overnight and we'll see in the morning/afternoon tomorrow. I'll probably wait to send it in until Wednesday and really give it a chance with the trickle charge.

If I do end up sending it (which I'm assuming I'll have to do at this point), I'll make sure to report any updates here in case any poor soul in the future runs into the same problem and finds this thread.

Thank you so much for your help!
    Swipe likes this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links