Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: TF701 KITKAT firmware update - KOT49H WW_epad-11 4.1.17-20140711 - ALL posts here

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
    When my Galaxy S3 got KitKat, I couldn't copy files to my sdcard using Astro FileManager, but I still could using the stock My Files app. I know Astro and such can't copy to it with this new update, but would the stock FileManager still work, like with my Galaxy? I put all my movies and music on my sd card
    Yes, the stock file manager has system level permissions and will copy to/from the SD card with no problem. Seems ES File Explorer also found a loophole by hijacking the built-in media scanner service.
    But it reportedly works more or less depending on the specific device's mount points for the card.
    Anybody on stock without root willing to test if ES can move, delete, copy and rename files on the SD?
    Although I'm sure Google will fix that hole fairly soon....

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    Yes, the stock file manager has system level permissions and will copy to/from the SD card with no problem. Seems ES File Explorer also found a loophole by hijacking the built-in media scanner service.
    But it reportedly works more or less depending on the specific device's mount points for the card.
    Anybody on stock without root willing to test if ES can move, delete, copy and rename files on the SD?
    Although I'm sure Google will fix that hole fairly soon....
    Just a layman's idea here. Titanium Backup has a feature to convert a user app to become a system app. Would this allow third party apps to gain system level permissions?

TF701 / TF700 / NEXUS 7 (2013)

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    39 times
    Questions left unanswered... Does ART become allowed on this version and does it work well? Does towelroot still work? Does exposed framework still work?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    12 times
    Similar test finished. Over a 11 hour period the tablet consumed 25% of the batter. The 1st two hours was heavy video, web surfing, and book reading (dropping it to 91%), and the remaining 9 hours was idle (in reading mode with standard power save on). As a refernce nearly 78% of the battery consumption was due to the screen and browser, and only 9% to the android OS. This was different then the previous time when nearly 70% of the juice was consumed by the android OS. It is still interesting to me that even now going from 4.3 to 4.4, the android upgrade experience is similar even when I updated from the 2.0.5 days on the early droids. The only phone that has somewhat survived an upgrade as of late has been the GS IV I have ... and even then sometimes I have the urge to factory reset.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pipopipz View Post
    Just a layman's idea here. Titanium Backup has a feature to convert a user app to become a system app. Would this allow third party apps to gain system level permissions?

You would need root for that. And if you have root, you can just run SDfix from the Play Store which will change the app permissions back to how they were up to 4.3. ;-)
    But it is a good question! If you install an app to /system, does it automatically get system level permissions? I don't know enough to answer that positively, but my guess is: Yes.
    Last edited by droidbound; 07-20-2014 at 12:42 PM.
    pipopipz likes this.

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    39 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tegelad View Post
    Similar test finished. Over a 11 hour period the tablet consumed 25% of the batter. The 1st two hours was heavy video, web surfing, and book reading (dropping it to 91%), and the remaining 9 hours was idle (in reading mode with standard power save on). As a refernce nearly 78% of the battery consumption was due to the screen and browser, and only 9% to the android OS. This was different then the previous time when nearly 70% of the juice was consumed by the android OS. It is still interesting to me that even now going from 4.3 to 4.4, the android upgrade experience is similar even when I updated from the 2.0.5 days on the early droids. The only phone that has somewhat survived an upgrade as of late has been the GS IV I have ... and even then sometimes I have the urge to factory reset.
    Hi tegelad so you got 2 full hours of actual use and
    It only dropped about 9%? Was this docked or unlocked? Any interest in trying towelroot?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by davioh View Post
    Hi tegelad so you got 2 full hours of actual use and
    It only dropped about 9%? Was this docked or unlocked? Any interest in trying towelroot?
    Undocked. I may try it ... the only problem is that I use the Directv genie2go app which checks for root ... I have used root cloak and other things but it is can be a PiTA to deal with. I am going to continue to play with it and see if I can get a power profile view ..... is there any typical things that you and the other folks want me to try to see how it looks now that it has been flashed new?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    0 times
    Undocked. I may try it ... the only problem is that I use the Directv genie2go app which checks for root ... I have used root cloak and other things but it is can be a PiTA to deal with. I am going to continue to play with it and see if I can get a power profile view ..... is there any typical things that you and the other folks want me to try to see how it looks now that it has been flashed new?
    Towelroot with the different versions. Maybe one will run?

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    39 times
    I wonder why direct TV cares if your rooted or not? Could someone explain this?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by davioh View Post
    Questions left unanswered... Does ART become allowed on this version and does it work well? Does towelroot still work? Does exposed framework still work?
    There is no option for changing run times in the Developer Options in this build, so no ART.

I finally backed everything up and went through the process to wipe (3 times) the tablet and restore then cold boot. Can't say yet if it solved the power issue I was having after the OTA direct update method. Will report back tomorrow after I have conclusive results.

NOTE:

For some reason I can't access the next page to view replies! Send PM to the OP about it.
    Last edited by AshRealms; 07-21-2014 at 10:52 AM.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links