Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: TF701 KITKAT firmware update - KOT49H WW_epad-11 4.1.17-20140711 - ALL posts here

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    3 times
    I read the following in AndroidCentral. This is all the info I have on it, but I have verified that it no longer works on my TF701T

"I sent a note to PDANet+ support and they said it's a known issue caused by a bug in the Android 4.4 system. It causes apps to fail to recognize the network connection even though it is there. Google has promised to fix this issue in future updates unfortunately we do not know when.
    So yes PDANet is broken by KitKat. Still works fine on JB and earlier, I can still tether PC to Phone that's on JB. Just not my KitKat tablet."

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    39 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
    I read the following in AndroidCentral. This is all the info I have on it, but I have verified that it no longer works on my TF701T

"I sent a note to PDANet+ support and they said it's a known issue caused by a bug in the Android 4.4 system. It causes apps to fail to recognize the network connection even though it is there. Google has promised to fix this issue in future updates unfortunately we do not know when.
    So yes PDANet is broken by KitKat. Still works fine on JB and earlier, I can still tether PC to Phone that's on JB. Just not my KitKat tablet."
    I'm confused as to the problem. I have PDANet+ on my smartphone. It's running 4.3, are you saying if I updated it to 4.4 it won't work?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    4 times
    Update on Battery Drain Issue:

It's been over a day and I've done several tests. It appears that Netflix can cause the issue, although I'm unsure that it's the only app that can. Here's how I've tested it...

• Cold booted tablet
    • Ran all my daily apps/games
    • Swiped away all apps from Recent Apps
    • Used Tasks widget to kill lingering apps
    • Turned on GSAM Battery Monitor (set to report since last charge)
    • Fully charged tablet, unplugged it, and turned off screen (sleep mode)
    • Ran GSAM for an hour with 0% drain
    • Started Netflix and ran only for 5 seconds of a video then exited Netflix normally
    • Turned off tablet screen (sleep mode)
    • Ran GSAM for an hour with 7% drain

This concludes that Netflix can cause the issue in the current Asus 4.4.2 stock update. The Tasks widget shows that Netflix is still running, although killing the app will not fix the drain. The only thing you can do is restart the tablet after using Netflix to eliminate the pending drain.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    0 times
    AshRealms,

Looks like we are both trying to get this one figured out. Unfortunately, I think you will find that even after unintsalling, Netflix you will be suffering from rapid drain until a factory reset.

I have been going through various attempts to narrow this down myself as I see the following. After getting updated to 4.4.2 stock, I began suffering from severe battery drain. Specifically, from 100% down to 0% in 8 hours WITHOUT USING THE TABLET.

I first thought I had narrowed it down to WeatherBug as once I uninstalled it, the drain went back to normal (3ish days of battery life with an hour or two of use a day). However, sometime on the second day, it went back to severe drain. I did a tablet reset from the settings menu and ran with nothing new installed. That worked for a few days so I began installing a couple of common apps - Netflix, Google Drive, YouTube, Adobe Reader and within a day, I was back to severe drain. Did another factory reset, then installed a couple apps again - maybe just YouTube, and Google Drive, and all was fine for a couple of days. Then added Adobe Reader, and Pandora and then back to severe drain.

So, I am convinced we will need a tablet update to fix this - I do not think it is a specific app, but a loading to a certain point causes something in AndroidOS to get hung. I see massive CPU keep Awake values for AndroidOS when I experience the severe drain.

I will next try a factory reset and just install Adobe Reader and see what happens next.

Has anyone gotten confirmation from ASUS on this?

I suffered through a bad version on my TF101 (dont recall the exact version - I am sure the thread still exists here somewhere) and hope it doesn't take 2 months to get my TF701 squared away like the TF101 took!

Please keep the trials coming and post your results - perhaps we can find a common thread.

Dave

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    4 times
    dsnyderwi,

I agree it's not just Netflix but something in the OS that gets jammed up. I have not (yet) found another app that causes it but if I do I will certainly post it here. I've also installed WakeLock Terminator and have it blocking location calls from Google Play Services as I have posted in my previous replies. I believe that it is preventing most of the drain issue for me as I had not had a problem for over a week until opening Netflix.

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    39 times
    From.my researching online, not all 4.4 versions have battery drain problems. Maybe Asus needs to jump to 4.4.4?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by davioh View Post
    From.my researching online, not all 4.4 versions have battery drain problems. Maybe Asus needs to jump to 4.4.4?
    That would be fantastic, but I don't expect that to happen anytime soon. The current issues with 4.4.2 can't even be reported to Asus because they do not have any way to do so online. Sure, you can call them and talk to "a tech" about it but really, what chance is there that it's going to go past that one tech? Pretty low. All we can do is wait.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi all,
    I just got my 4.42 update and lost the old wallpaper with the tree etc- love to get it back. Anyone got any ideas, please? Also Lookout Security keeps crashing. Hope that's all that goes wrong.

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    39 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Deefer View Post
    Hi all,
    I just got my 4.42 update and lost the old wallpaper with the tree etc- love to get it back. Anyone got any ideas, please? Also Lookout Security keeps crashing. Hope that's all that goes wrong.
    What's lookout security?

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by davioh View Post
    What's lookout security?
    An app scanning your installs for malware. Only useful if you install from places other than the Play Store IMO.
    Google checks apps anyway.

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links