Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: TF701 KITKAT firmware update - KOT49H WW_epad-11 4.1.17-20140711 - ALL posts here

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by thevanman View Post
    Thank you for the insight!

Yes, I am aware of the trickle charging over USB, and a faster charge with the AC adapter. But, that is the only part that works as before. The only issue related to the data/charge cable is that no computer recognizes the tablet. My apologies that I did not make that clear the first time.

Trying what you describe as I type this. So far, even after a reboot, it is not giving any notifications of an update.

I downloaded US SKU 4.3 firmware zip file from ASUS support site for the TF701. Unzipped the first level and copied the zip file inside to the root, alongside the other folders such as DCIM and Document.
    This is, by the way, the /SDCARD/ folder...correct?

The file I am using is named "UL-K00C-US-10.26.1.18-user.zip". This I assume should stay the same.

The current build # is "KOT49H.US_epad-11.4.1.17-20140711". I assume this confirms this is a US SKU tablet.

If this doesn't notify by morning, tablet is shipping back to ASUS tomorrow to 'hopefully' get repaired.

Thanks again!
    Vance
    If you don't get a notification reboot.
    If still no notification you can try to boot to recovery.
    Push and hold Volume Down and Power until you see screen with 3 icons. Push Volume Up to boot the blinking RCK.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    If you don't get a notification reboot.
    If still no notification you can try to boot to recovery.
    Push and hold Volume Down and Power until you see screen with 3 icons. Push Volume Up to boot the blinking RCK.
    I tried both last night. Blinking RCK gave an error with the Android guy lying on his back with a red triangle on his belly after first showing it was updating. There must be another needed step I was missing...

Thanks!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by thevanman View Post
    I tried both last night. Blinking RCK gave an error with the Android guy lying on his back with a red triangle on his belly after first showing it was updating. There must be another needed step I was missing...
    There's no step missing. It simply can't be reverted back without unlocking and installing a custom recovery. Even then I am hesitant to try to revert back to 4.3 in that manner since it won't work the 'correct' way.

Update on battery drain issue:

After placing my widget back on the main desktop and letting it sleep several hours there was 0% drain! This concludes (for me, anyways) that killing apps and/or swiping them away from the Recent Apps has been causing my drain. In the next few days I will be running separate tests after fresh reboots. First by running and exiting many apps normally and the swiping the apps away intentionally in the Recent Apps window and letting the tablet sleep awhile. Next I will apply the same method except using the Tasks widget built into the OS to kill them afterward. I will report back when I have the results.
    droidbound likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AshRealms View Post
    There's no step missing. It simply can't be reverted back without unlocking and installing a custom recovery. Even then I am hesitant to try to revert back to 4.3 in that manner since it won't work the 'correct' way.

After placing my widget back on the main desktop and letting it sleep several hours there was 0% drain! This concludes (for me, anyways) that killing apps and/or swiping them away from the Recent Apps has been causing my drain. In the next few days I will be running separate tests after fresh reboots. First by running and exiting many apps normally and the swiping the apps away intentionally in the Recent Apps window and letting the tablet sleep awhile. Next I will apply the same method except using the Tasks widget built into the OS to kill them afterward. I will report back when I have the results.
    Thanks for the input. Tablet is on its way to ASUS in Texas. We will see what they can repair, or are willing to repair.

I might sell this real cheap on ebay without the dock when I get it back, depending on what they do or don't fix related to the dock, and bringing back to 4.3. (If dock is non-operational, the dock would go right in the trash) I may switch over to Samsung, or even switch over to the dark side (ipad) so I don't have to deal with this crap again. Tired of ASUS and broken firmware updates. WTF???

I hope that you are on to something with your quest to solve the new bugs with battery draining. The TF101's suffered the same thing (and many other issues) when updating to ICS from GingerBread. After reading all the horror stories I never updated. At least now I still have my old slow faithful Gingerbread tank! I will need it in the downtime! Should have learned!!!

One thing for sure, I will "never" accept a factory firmware update ever again! Lesson learned...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    4 times

The battery was holding a charge great while sleeping since the last test (see my previous posts). Last night before I put the tablet to sleep I charged it to full and then opened the Recent Apps and swiped away everything. After 5.5 hours the battery now displays 60% which is 7.3% drain per hour while sleeping!

Battery usage:

1.6% Screen
    3.7% Wifi
    68.6% Kernel (Android OS)
    9.9% Android System
    2.6% System (ndroid.systemui)
    2.5% Google Play services
    1.8% GSam Battery Monitor
    1.6% Phone (why do tablets use this anyhow?)

Conclusions so far:

It appears the issue is directly related to swiping away Recent Apps, so far! Next I will Cold Boot and run it through my normal daily usage then try using the built in Task Manager widget to kill apps and see if that causes the same drain issue or not.

Edit:

In a second test of swiping away apps I notice 0% drain, however this article about the 4.4.2 Recent Apps swiping bug says that it CAN be triggered by swiping away apps, not that it will always be triggered. This might explain the mixed bag of results from everyone including my now 2 tests. I would suggest not swiping away recent apps at all. If a battery drain is still happening after stopping that practice then we look elsewhere.

Also, I just tried using the Task Manager widget to kill apps and had 0% drain in 2.5 hours which indicates that might be a safe way to end apps as an alternative.
    Last edited by AshRealms; 07-30-2014 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Further tests
    droidbound likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    2 times

What needs to be turned off/on for battery save

Recently had update to 4.4.2.

Everything has been going great....no problems.

After update, I noticed on a few occasions that when I went to get my tablet, it was nearly drained after being off all day. Hum.

So realizing something is not right, I perform test. I change to 100% and unplug, but keep off.

I have the power save to go to sleep and not keep internet on....but something else needs to be done.

Came home from work and sure enough...50%. No one has touched it all day.

Any advice?

Thank you.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Install Gsam battery monitor and try the same test. It will tell you what is using the battery. It usually isn't a matter of turning any specific thing off. You need to find the root of the problem which could be your mail, a weather app or some other active widget. It's also possible to have that happen if you have an app that didn't close and is still attempting to do something. Those are rare, mostly music or radio apps.

Are you using an SD card? that could also be an issue.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    0 times
    Has anyone has the same issues found (beside the battery drain):
    - After undocking, the tablet often shows the "docked" symbol and the on screen keyboard won't work. Have to redock and undock until it works.
    - Only in password fields, the dock keyboard has a strange layout, e.g. Shift-1 produces "+" instead of "!". Most other keys work though.
    - The "switch user" symbol is gone from the notification bar for all users besides the main user. I'm the main user and have the icon with my name in the quick settings (bottom right). My wife has an user too which doesn't have this icon. We normally use it to switch easily between users, but now I have to turn the tablet off and on in order to get to the lack screen to switch the user when my wife is logged in.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HexWrench View Post
    Has anyone has the same issues found (beside the battery drain):
    - After undocking, the tablet often shows the "docked" symbol and the on screen keyboard won't work. Have to redock and undock until it works.
    - Only in password fields, the dock keyboard has a strange layout, e.g. Shift-1 produces "+" instead of "!". Most other keys work though.
    - The "switch user" symbol is gone from the notification bar for all users besides the main user. I'm the main user and have the icon with my name in the quick settings (bottom right). My wife has an user too which doesn't have this icon. We normally use it to switch easily between users, but now I have to turn the tablet off and on in order to get to the lack screen to switch the user when my wife is logged in.
    Welcome to the forum

I recommend reading through our best practice guide on how to handle the OTA firmware updates. It's advice will likely fix these glitches for you. The guide is linked from the Master Help Guide, which is linked from my signature, below.

All the best

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kymbakitty View Post
    Recently had update to 4.4.2.

Everything has been going great....no problems.

After update, I noticed on a few occasions that when I went to get my tablet, it was nearly drained after being off all day. Hum.

So realizing something is not right, I perform test. I change to 100% and unplug, but keep off.

I have the power save to go to sleep and not keep internet on....but something else needs to be done.

Came home from work and sure enough...50%. No one has touched it all day.

Any advice?

Thank you.
    Hi,

Two things - firstly your profile shows you have a TF701 but you posted this in a new thread in the MeMo HD7 section , so I have added it to this thread for you.

Secondly, you'll find as you read through the thread that battery drain is a known issue with this update. There are various suggestions posted in thread that will help you work through the issues for your device.

All the best

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links