Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: TF701 KITKAT firmware update - KOT49H WW_epad-11 4.1.17-20140711 - ALL posts here

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    4 times
    Update on Battery drain issue:

Ran the whole night since the last reboot noted and no more drain issues so far. I have rebooted several times just now but only to install Xprivacy and Xposed. I am placing my TV Series widget back on my main desktop to see if that changes anything. As far as I can tell though the reason for the drain seems to have been me using the Task widget to kill apps and also swiping away recent apps. Will update if I discover different.

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    39 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AshRealms View Post
    Update on Battery drain issue:

Ran the whole night since the last reboot noted and no more drain issues so far. I have rebooted several times just now but only to install Xprivacy and Xposed. I am placing my TV Series widget back on my main desktop to see if that changes anything. As far as I can tell though the reason for the drain seems to have been me using the Task widget to kill apps and also swiping away recent apps. Will update if I discover different.
    Hi AshRealms. Thanks for posting on here there are probably quite a few people anxiously awaiting your posts regarding 4.4, battery drain, exposed etc.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    A factory reset only wipes user installed apps and settings. It does not change anything in /system.
    I have not heard from anyone who downgraded from 4.4.2 to 4.3, but with previous firmware versions you could do that in the same way as manually upgrading:

Download desired Asus firmware (make sure it's for your SKU)
    Unzip that file once and copy the resulting zip to the root of internal storage
    The system should automatically detect the file and show a notification to update/downgrade. If not, try a reboot.

You should backup everything you care about! This procedure may or may not completely wipe your internal storage.
    If you try it, please report back.
    I went to try this method, and I am not rooted so therefore I cannot copy firmware file to the root folder. Any ideas? I wish to stay in warranty if possible...?

The following is what I experienced this last week after my upgrade. (Really it was a downgrade....)

Note that I do have a keyboard dock...

1) USB port on keyboard does not work.
    a) It will not read any USB jump drive. Nothing shows up in Removable Storage folder.
    b) It will not charge or power any USB device, such as my Galaxy S4 cell phone.
    c) It will not power or recognize any USB mouse, nor USB wireless mouse.

2) SD card reader on keyboard does not work.
    a) Tried SD cards, SDHC cards….nothing reads. Again, nothing shows up in Removable Storage folder.

3) Micro SD card slot on tablet will read files but will not write files anymore.
    a) Such as saving pictures there, backing up files there, ETC.

4) USB to tablet data cable only charges now (when plugged into the wall adapter).
    a) Tried plugging tablet into 4 different computers. 2 of them Windows 7, the other 2 Windows XP Pro. All say "unrecognized USB device". This happens with all 4 computers, in all the available USB ports. Tried 2 different cables also.

5) KitKat broke PDANet.
    a) Though this is not a fault of ASUS, this is none the less a KitKat related issue and needs to be repaired by flashing back to 4.3.

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    39 times
    Five things broken? at least? How much of these are on account of Google and how much. Is due to Asus?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by davioh View Post
    Five things broken? at least? How much of these are on account of Google and how much. Is due to Asus?
    Not sure. PDANet for sure was on Google as they have admitted it, offering to fix it on the next update. The rest is probably them also because there are still quite a few stories of broken gear due to the kitkat 'downgrade'.

But failure on ASUS for not testing this more to see what would break before sending out the firmware.

And, failure on me for accepting the firmware update. I will not be doing THAT again anytime soon! Should have learned from my old TF101 which is still on Gingerbread because of all the problems with ICS updates. And Gingerbread still works perfectly on that old beast! No battery drain issues, no lockups after sleeping, no random reboots...you get the point.

It falls on ASUS now, because it is in warranty, and except for rooting and playing with different ROM's, I don't have the tools to reset this back to when I got it. They and Google broke it, they can fix it. If they cant, I want a new one!

I was still excited to have this tablet combo even after almost 8 months. Loved it in fact! It was a nice tablet until it was broken for me! Would be different if I broke it! (which is usually the case....HAH! )

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Sorry to hear you have such a lousy time with that OTA. I flashed the rooted stock rom by sbdags and everything works fine, so I think this is more a bad flash than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by thevanman View Post
    I went to try this method, and I am not rooted so therefore I cannot copy firmware file to the root folder. Any ideas? I wish to stay in warranty if possible...?
    The root of your internal storage is it's top level, not the "Root" folder. Your Downloads and DCIM folder are on the same level. Put the firmware file alongside and the system will recognize it.

The following is what I experienced this last week after my upgrade. (Really it was a downgrade....)

Note that I do have a keyboard dock...

1) USB port on keyboard does not work.
    a) It will not read any USB jump drive. Nothing shows up in Removable Storage folder.
    b) It will not charge or power any USB device, such as my Galaxy S4 cell phone.
    c) It will not power or recognize any USB mouse, nor USB wireless mouse.

2) SD card reader on keyboard does not work.
    a) Tried SD cards, SDHC cards….nothing reads. Again, nothing shows up in Removable Storage folder.
    Pretty clear that the update borked something related to the keyboard. Hopefully a re-flash will fix it.
    3) Micro SD card slot on tablet will read files but will not write files anymore.
    a) Such as saving pictures there, backing up files there, ETC.
    You can thank Google for that. It's the new permission system in KitKat. An app is only allowed to write to a folder on the external SD if it created ("owns") it. It can still read all the folders, but - let's say a picture editor - can still scan all your storage media, but can only create thumbnails of the pics in finds and put them into it's own folder. The app cannot save files it edits to the same folder they came from.
    There's a fix for that in the Play Store, but you need root for it.

4) USB to tablet data cable only charges now (when plugged into the wall adapter).
    a) Tried plugging tablet into 4 different computers. 2 of them Windows 7, the other 2 Windows XP Pro. All say "unrecognized USB device". This happens with all 4 computers, in all the available USB ports. Tried 2 different cables also.
    It's always been that way. The TF701 needs 15v which only the Asus charger provides. It does "trickle" charge over USB, but very, very slow (about 2%/hour) and the charging indicator will not come on.
    That no computer recognizes the tablet is also an indicator that something didn't flash right, I suspect.

5) KitKat broke PDANet.
    a) Though this is not a fault of ASUS, this is none the less a KitKat related issue and needs to be repaired by flashing back to 4.3.
    Major updates with security fixes tend to do that. And it will get harder and harder for 3rd party devs to find ways around build-in limitations that require system permissions. Google is working to make Android more unified and more secure. There are downsides to that, I agree.

Try to flash back to 4.3 and let us know if it works. AshRealm was unsuccessful and Asus support states it's not possible. But they are often a reliable source of misinformation
    If you can't, flash the KitKat firmware manually and see if that fixes your problems.
    Last edited by droidbound; 07-27-2014 at 08:52 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    12 times
    Status Update:
    I used the tablet for light web surfing, and for a long running job of propagating the offline google play music cache. I left the lid closed over night while the data populated.

16hours 22min 42 seconds, and the dock has been exhuasted and I am at 77% on the main tablet battery. The power consumption pattern is:
    43% Screen, 26% wifi, 11% Android OS, 8% Browser, 5% Android System, 3% Google Play Music, 2% Android System UI.

+-ADT

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    I have tried a number of things including removing widgets, disabling Google +, changineg web browsers, etc. and I still can't reduce the power consumption when I am web surfing. I am losing 1% every 3 minutes while on the web with power management on the medium setting and the screen on 45%. 300 minutes is 5 hours. Is this normal useage for web surfing? It seems greatly reduced from what I was getting with 4.3. Perhaps my battery is aging?

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nohjy69 View Post
    I have tried a number of things including removing widgets, disabling Google +, changineg web browsers, etc. and I still can't reduce the power consumption when I am web surfing. I am losing 1% every 3 minutes while on the web with power management on the medium setting and the screen on 45%. 300 minutes is 5 hours. Is this normal useage for web surfing? It seems greatly reduced from what I was getting with 4.3. Perhaps my battery is aging?
    Are you using a task killer/task widget? That's what the caused the extreme battery drain for AshRealms.... I also read that compulsively swiping away apps from the Recent Apps list can cause them not to restart properly > causing increased battery consumption.

My advice would be: Remove ALL widgets from your home sceens. Reboot the tablet.
    Charge it to full and use the GSam Battery app to monitor consumption.
    If that is inconclusive, do a factory reset and only setup your Google account. Do not add or restore any of your apps except for GSam and again monitor battery consumption.
    Let's see if any of that makes a difference.

Here are my last stats from a full charge on both batteries:
    Time since unplugged: 2 days + 2 hours
    Dock battery empty, tablet at 57%
    Screen on time: 10h, 8 min

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    It's always been that way. The TF701 needs 15v which only the Asus charger provides. It does "trickle" charge over USB, but very, very slow (about 2%/hour) and the charging indicator will not come on.
    That no computer recognizes the tablet is also an indicator that something didn't flash right, I suspect.
    Thank you for the insight!

Yes, I am aware of the trickle charging over USB, and a faster charge with the AC adapter. But, that is the only part that works as before. The only issue related to the data/charge cable is that no computer recognizes the tablet. My apologies that I did not make that clear the first time.

Trying what you describe as I type this. So far, even after a reboot, it is not giving any notifications of an update.

I downloaded US SKU 4.3 firmware zip file from ASUS support site for the TF701. Unzipped the first level and copied the zip file inside to the root, alongside the other folders such as DCIM and Document.
    This is, by the way, the /SDCARD/ folder...correct?

The file I am using is named "UL-K00C-US-10.26.1.18-user.zip". This I assume should stay the same.

The current build # is "KOT49H.US_epad-11.4.1.17-20140711". I assume this confirms this is a US SKU tablet.

If this doesn't notify by morning, tablet is shipping back to ASUS tomorrow to 'hopefully' get repaired.

Thanks again!
    Vance

UPDATE: Since the system never recognized the firmware file, even sitting overnight, its going back to ASUS today to let them have a crack at restoring 4.3. After it goes out of warranty this coming January, I may try to root and start messing with different ROM's. Thanks again!
    Last edited by thevanman; 07-29-2014 at 08:09 AM. Reason: updates

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links