Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kronie

Thread: TF701 going back...

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times

TF701 going back...

WellÖ.I got the 701 and the dock yesterday. Before I even turned it on, I gave it the once over to check build quality. I am not normally super anal but I do like to check after spending $600.

The tablet is bulkier than the Infinity. I guess the extra 1mm does make a difference. When you look at the 701 face on, where the plastic strip meets the metal, its smooth and flush on the left but on the right it looks like itís been pried open or cut in production badly. Then I went around and pinched the sides of the screen and on the left side, there is some play where the screen isnít quite attached to the body and flexes in and out with a clicking sound. There is also a lot of flex with the tablet but maybe itís the lack of glue holding it together?

The dock is plastic, which didnít bother me so much except that the keyboard sounds loose and plasticy when you type on it. Itís similar to the Infinity in typing but the infinity dock feels way more solid. I also noticed that in just a couple hours of use the bottom of the dock and the mechanism that hold the two together were scratching because the plastic is so soft.

The tablets OS seems to work pretty well. Itís plenty zippy. Apps seem to install and load quickly. I donít know if the download issues are 100% fixed because It was kind of doggy when it was DLing apps. There were a few times that I touched the screen and it didnít seem to register and I had to retouch. Chrome crashed a couple times. The screen isnít that bright and I wonder how it will do outside (I never checked) but the infinity is WAY brighter). This thing also gets really hot on the left side. Just sitting there its super warm to the touch. Maybe not too hot but a tablet at rest shouldn't be that warm.

I wasnít overly wowíd by the screen or the 2GB of RAM.

Those last two are why I picked the 701 over the Infinity. I think owning the transformer Prime, the Infinity for a while and now using the 701, I think the Infinity is the better of the two. The build is better by far, I donít really need such a high resolution screen (you canít really see the difference anyway) and the way Android handles RAM, 1GB is plenty for me. Your mileage my vary....

2013-11-01 10.47.07.jpg
    eejit likes this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    11 times
    Agreed, My TF701 is going up for sale. I don't find the system worth the 660 I spent on the 64GB version. I'm swhiching over the Asus T100, for $399 its a bargain windows 8.1 machine which can do way more than android.

I agree, if you have the Tf700, I would not bother upgrading to the TF701

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    3 times
    As far as heat, the Shield and Toshiba tablets have the same issues and complaints. Shield gets by though due to a fan (but need due to higher clock). Common issues so far reported with the T4 are battery bleed in sleep mode, throttle and heat issues.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    I was waiting for this tablet but gave up. Asus never said when its coming to the US and I could never find out when it was. I bought the Samsung note 10.1 2014 and I can say its fast and flawless. No lags no crashes.

It is expensive but I can say this one is worth it.

Asus missed the boat for me. they showed this tablet back in June and then again in September but I never made any annoucement of when it was going to be available. I gave up.

I now have a TF700 and doc for sale.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    3 times
    Their mistake was choosing the Tegra 4. Asus did not expect the issues the SoC is having. Better suited for devices like the Shield that have venting and a fan.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links