Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    1 times

TF701T Overheating

I just got the TF701T and I really like the design, the dock and the screen is awesome! The only thing I dislike is the heat it generates. I don't do 3d gaming but even after browsing the net for 1 hour my hands can feel the heat so it's not a comfortable experience. Anyone experience this? Is there any way to throttle down the CPU speed so it can generate less heat?

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    If the TF701 is anything like the TF700 you should have Power Saving/Balanced/Performance modes in Asus' customized settings. Unless you inadvertently have it in Performance all the time, the tablet should not get uncomfortably hot.
    A simple reboot should fix it since the tablet runs in Balanced mode by default on boot.
    Download an app from the Play Store to monitor CPU temperature and takes notes over one or two days of use. If it keeps getting hot I would call Asus support and ask them what the normal operating temperature should be. Keep watching this! Heat is a killer for these electronics.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    I've heard that tegra 4 does get quite hot compared to other chips from the reviews I've read on the recent tegra 4 Toshiba tablets.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    12 times
    I personally have not had any (over)heating problem? Also I believe you are using the term a bit incorrectly. Does the tablet actually crash or reboot because of the heat or does it just feel warm? If it is the latter, it is merely warm to the touch, not OVERheating.

Warm is a normal thing and a lot of mobile devices have this when they get utilized (heavy), there is no active cooling thus all cooling will be done through the chassis and since it's aluminium it transfers heat pretty well, but then plastic at least.

Getting warm to the touch is normal for a laptop, phone, any tablet (yes even an ipad), etc. Mine also does this, but never an uncomfortable level, just a bit warm, nothing alarming to me at least. So, could you please describe warm? Warm as in, it feels warm, or, it's too hot to touch? Warm is normal, scorching hot is not.
    Last edited by Quindor; 10-25-2013 at 11:32 AM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    1 times
    Ok maybe the term is not overheating but it does feel hot. And when it is hot the scrolling of browser will start to stutter. I previously owned 2 iPads and never had this problem. Anyway when it is hot I will restart the tablet and the stutter will be gone. Guess I just have to live with the heat as I really like the tablet, the dock and the screen.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffyhui88 View Post
    I previously owned 2 iPads and never had this problem.
    Depends which gen models you had, as the issue was mainly with the 3rd gen model when they first introduced the retina display and custom SoC with quad GPU. There were multiple complaints of over heating, especially by users in already warm climates.

The 1st and 2nd gen models never really pushed the performance limits enough to risk over heating much, at least not without some external help... and they pretty much fixed the issues with the 3rd gen when they released the 4th gen model and now they're coming out with the iPad Air as the 5th gen model... Just to put it in perspective...

On your TF701T, it may just need a update...

Problem with cutting edge performance products is they push the limits of what's possible with present technology and passive cooling imposes fairly strict thermal limits. Mind that these high end mobile SoCs are already capable of performance ranging into the range that requires active cooling but they carefully control power usage and performance to keep thermals under control.

A Samsung Exynos 5 for example is really a 8W max TDP SoC but it limits itself to operate at 4W... the impact on performance is just managed with tricks like allowing either the CPU cores or the GPU to operate at up to 4W but not at the same time. So, as long as what is being done doesn't require the full performance of both the CPUs and the GPU then the limitations will largely be unnoticeable.

OEMs just need time to learn how to best optimize a new SoC... Like when the Tegra 3 was first released they limited operations to 1.4GHz max for a single core and 1.3GHz for all four cores at the same time but now you can readily find Tegra 3 devices with 1.7GHz max clock.

The Tegra 4 requires a fan when operating at 1.9GHz, which is what the Nvidia Shield has, but they optimized it to about 1.7GHz for the TF701T... along with other tweaks, to get it to operate in this fan-less design.

So bad news is you can run into situations where there may be some performance issues related to heat but the good news is they can likely fix it with a later FW update... as it's mainly a issue of proper optimization...

Just avoid warm areas and keep to preferably cool and well ventilated areas to limit the issue for now... and you can boost the passive cooling with an external fan if it really becomes annoying...

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    3 times
    The Tegra 4 in the Shield gets hot and that is using a fan. The Toshiba gets hot too. Other issues common with those devices are throttle and battery bleed issues in sleep mode.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    0 times
    I wouldn't say overheat but mine gets very warm like a laptop (almost), it is different to the Tf300 which I can play for hours and it barely moves above room temp..

I also have a Nvidia Shield, that pumps out a heap of heat..

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    15 times
    Is the heat item an issue with the stock browser other other browsers?
    When I use Maxton Browser is gets warm at the upper left corner at the back too but with stock browser it stays cool.
    Heat generating is depending of the apps you are running and also running at the same time.
    Some use a lot of cpu power and some don't.
    So I advise take a look at that first.
    Due to the aluminium back heat is dissapated very good and quickly so don't bother about it too much.
    Use an app to monitor the cpu temp (not batt temp!!) so you get an idea.
    1 x Nvidia Shield 32Gb + Lte + MicroSd
    1 x ASUS Transformer Infinity TF700 with dock on CROMi-X 5.3a
    1 x NEXUS 7 2013
    Returned 4x due to build quality issues ASUS Transformer Infinity TF701 with dock

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    1 times
    i use the firefox browser and it heats up a lot. I now change to chrome, it produces less heat and more tolerable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links