Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: TF 701T Performance Report (Lots of Benchmarks inside)

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    55 times
    Can you test the glass. Can't find anywhere on the specs if they are still using gorilla glass 2. Scratch it with a quarter. If it doesn't scratch they are still using the amazing glass. If it dies scratch they robbed from Peter to Pay Paul and cheapened out on the surface.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk
    ~THE TRANSFORMER INFINITY -- THE NEXT TRANSFORMATION~

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    10 times
    I'm not will to test this on mine You first.

If its not then i have a mark on the screen.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendrickson View Post
    I'm not will to test this on mine You first.

If its not then i have a mark on the screen.
    I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing! I'm not going to test that anytime soon.

I can tell you though that the back side of the screen (the metal side) does scratch relatively easily. I was polishing the screen thus had it lying on a table, but it was in a hall with a lot of sand (800+ people LANparty in a hall that is also used for horse shows), sadly when I was done I noticed a scratch on the other side. It's not very bad or deep or anything, but in the right light you can see it.

Strange is though, just like with my laptop (Asus u500) those scratches seem to disappear after a while? I knew I had some on my laptop and they now seem gone, I will check my tablet tomorrow and update this post.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks, Quindor, for all the useful info on the subject!
    Could you be a bit more specific on its USB port performance? The matter is several web-site give it somewhat peculiar description: USB 3.0 host/client, Hi-Speed (480Mbit/s) - see this one Asus Transformer Pad Infinity 2 TF701T 64GB (Asus Taurus) Detailed Specs | Technical Datasheet | PDAdb.net for example. Well, according to USB specs, it should either be USB 3.0 Super-Speed (4.8Gbit/s) - right, 10x faster than USB 2.0 Hi-Speed (480Mbit/s) - or just USB 2.0 Hi-Speed (480Mbit/s) which, in fact, wouldn't be USB 3.0... This is important for me: should the tests show maximum throughput of 480Mbit/s it would look like ASUS just inserted a piece of blue plastic instead of the black one in the connector... (just kidding)
    Last edited by Spica; 11-01-2013 at 01:58 PM.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    55 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Spica View Post
    Could you be a bit more specific on its USB port performance? The matter is several web-site give it somewhat peculiar description: USB 3.0 host/client, Hi-Speed (480Mbit/s) - see this one Asus Transformer Pad Infinity 2 TF701T 64GB (Asus Taurus) Detailed Specs | Technical Datasheet | PDAdb.net for example. Well, according to USB specs, it should either be USB 3.0 Super-Speed (4.8Gbit/s) - right, 10x faster than USB 2.0 Hi-Speed (480Mbit/s) - or just USB 2.0 Hi-Speed (480Mbit/s) which, in fact, wouldn't be USB 3.0... This is important for me: should the tests show maximum throughput of 480Mbit/s it would look like ASUS just inserted a piece of blue plastic instead of the black one in the connector... (just kidding)
    After reading that spec sheet - it says that it's using gorilla glass 3! IF THAT IS TRUE
    way to go Asus!

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    55 times
    Do you still have the TF700T? If so, can you do the side by side comparison check I just did...

I did a side by side comparison on YouTube with an 1080P video. We all know the brightness is not the same but I also noticed the colors weren't as vibrant or sharp? Has anyone noticed this? How can this happen, on a better display lol.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Spica View Post
    No, with devices that support both I clearly see it enabling USB3 mode, so the USB3 paths and logic is in there. But the SOC/CPU and the rest of the platform just isn't built to handle these speeds. It's nice that it's in there, I quite like that it delivers more power then a USB2 port, but performance wise, it's more of a showoff feature then that it will really make something a lot faster. Copying large files I hit around 40MB/sec I believe which is impossible to achieve with USB2, so that might count as a small performance enhancement because of USB3?

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    27 times
    is it possible for someone who owns it to do a real life wireless "torture test"? The scenario would be to test wifi+miricast+bluetooth all at the same time (for example stream a you tube video to the TF701+screen mirror that to a TV+sync audio to a bluetooth speaker)? I know that the tf 201 never seemed to work well when BOTH WIFI AND BT were being used together. I'm really hoping that they fixed these issues on the 701!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Quindor View Post
    No, with devices that support both I clearly see it enabling USB3 mode, so the USB3 paths and logic is in there. But the SOC/CPU and the rest of the platform just isn't built to handle these speeds. It's nice that it's in there, I quite like that it delivers more power then a USB2 port, but performance wise, it's more of a showoff feature then that it will really make something a lot faster. Copying large files I hit around 40MB/sec I believe which is impossible to achieve with USB2, so that might count as a small performance enhancement because of USB3?
    Exactly! Like, USB 2.0's 60MB/s and 3.0's 600MB/s maximum transfer speeds are for MS Windows machines (and, perhaps, for MacOS - dunno - haven't ever had a Mac). And for Android? For Android, USB 3.0 is faster than USB 2.0. How much faster? Er... Just faster!
    Anyways, I like the TF701T as a whole and given its price (plus I have some accessories left from my suddenly deceased TF700T) I'll probably go with it.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the benchmarks. This helped me pull the trigger on the 32gb tf701 on newegg. I'll be anxiously awaiting it!

Once upon a time, I had a tf700. I loved almost everything about it, but I grew tired of the lag which was present even in all the custom roms I tried at the time. I sold it and bought an *gulp* iPad4. I hated iOS and still do for the most part. I like the iPad hardware, though, so I figured I'd give it a try. I should have waited for the Nexus 10, perhaps, but I already bought the iPad4 when the Nexus 10 was finally announced. I jailbroke the iPad4 the day jailbreak released and installed lots of fun apps from Cydia, but even with jailbreak the overall experience of iOS still felt lacking compared to Android (especially the keyboard. Oh how I loathe the iOS keyboard even with all the Cydia app tweaks to it). The iPad4 was basically me being nice to my daughter because she is the only one that uses it. Spoiled kid, lol!

I was waiting for the next Transformer, figuring it wouldn't be plagued with the same issues as the last. I'm crossing my fingers these initial shipments from newegg are good units. They have been making these things since early this summer since they were showing them off in June (I think), so the quality control has had time to catch the bad eggs, right? (here's hoping)

The only things I'm not super-psyched about with the TF701 are the speaker, overall weight, bezel size(sorta), & build material.

Seems like they could have included stereo speakers but still sticking with the single one. Kind of annoys me like the iPad4, but headphones shall be used when sound matters, so whatever.

Newer tablets are getting lighter. The TF701 is about the same as TF700. It'd be nice to see some weight shaved off, but it's a trade-off I can handle as long as the battery life is actually close to 13 hours as claimed. Here is a comparison of the weight & thickness with some other recent tablets:

Apple iPad 4: 650 grams and 9.4 mm thick
    Apple iPad Air: 469 grams and 7.5 mm thick
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014): 540 grams and 7.9 mm thick
    Sony Xperia Tablet Z: 495 grams and 6.9 mm thick
    Amazon Kindle HDX 8.9": 374 grams and 7.8mm thick
    Google Nexus 10 (2012): 603 grams and 8.9mm thick
    Asus TF700: 586 grams and 8.5mm thick
    Asus TF701: 585 grams and 8.9mm thick

An interesting fact:
    Asus TF701 + dock = 1135 grams
    Macbook Air 11" = 1080 grams

Newer tablets have less bezel, like my wife's new Note 10.1 (2014), so the TF701 isn't "trendy". However, I find the Note somewhat cramped when grasping it, partially due to the newly-included capacitive back & menu buttons and the physical home button, and I have small-to-medium sized man-hands so it's not like I'm a ham-fisted idiot. Larger bezels comes in handy, so I think I'm okay with the TF701's bezel. I like small bezel on smaller tablets like the Nexus 7 & iPad Mini. That makes sense to help hold it with 1 hand. But with 10" and almost 600g, ample bezel is a good thing.

Build quality: The fact that it's larger and feels more plasticky despite ASUS claiming it's still aluminum is a bit of a turn-off. However, it's still slim enough and built well enough for my taste. It is, afterall, a very powerful yet pretty cheap machine at $449 for 32GB. It's $150 less than both the Note 10.1 32GB & iPad Air 32GB, and only $5 more than the Kindle KDX 8.9" 32GB without ads.

I got a 64gb card to throw in it and a leather case. I'll get the dock for a birthday present from my wife and maybe a 128gb SD card. She doesn't know that yet, but she'll find out soon.

I shall dual-boot Ubuntu on this TF701 and become one with my inner geek!

I wonder if I should wait for the Nexus 10 (2013), but I'm tired of waiting. From what I hear, the Nexus 10 2013 will have either Tegra4 or S800 for the SoC, both of which I'm happy with. Their performance is so similar to each other that I don't care which one I have, as long as I HAVE ONE....MUST HAVE ONE NOW!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ads