Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    0 times

Should I wait for TF701

Hi all,
    New to the forum, and have just a few questions. I'm a BlackBerry fan, but seeing there are no future tablets for BB indicated in the future (at least in the near future) I have opted to upgrade my PlayBook to Android. After some research, I am quite impressed with the indicated specs for the TF701. Am quite interested in the docking station. Before making a final decision I have just a couple of questions. I guess you can mostly only answer from your impressions of the 700, but that will be suffice for now. I have 2 main concerns:

1. I have read a lot of comments on lagging issues on the 700. Have these been corrected? I am not afraid of rooting if that what it takes.
    2. I have read that the speaker is not that great. Any ideas if this has been addressed on the 701?
    3. I have read that there are issues with durability regarding the keyboard docking, and the connectors. Is this really a serious issue, or is it extremely rare.

The keyboard is a big selling point for me. My other options so far are the Nexus, and Galaxy. Can you dock a keyboard to either of these? From my reading, the answer is no. So I guess my main question is "Are the above mentioned issues legitimate concerns?" If there are better options out there please let me know. The 701 (according to my reading) has everything I want, and if it is a reliable machine, then that's the one I will have. Thank you.

GC
    Last edited by GreatCanadian; 09-17-2013 at 12:25 PM.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Main issue is how long you may have to wait, TF701 won't be out quite yet as they're still testing and getting it ready but it may be as late as November or even December before it does get released... Since, this being the first Tegra 4 update for Asus and being a new SoC means they have to learn from scratch how to best optimize it.

The TF700's issues are probably addressed by the TF701 but we won't know for sure until it finally ships and we get some hands on to see for sure and there's always possibility of new issues... So wait at least until some decent reviews come out...

I can say, though, that the Speakers aren't going to be as good as the PB's but you can always get external speakers or headphones to compensate... Keyboard docks are still pretty rare among mobile tablets, but others besides Asus do offer them... They're just mainly being pushed for Windows 8 tablets that generally need them more than Android tablets because of the desktop and legacy apps.

Flash support is also something you may have to get used to... there's no longer any mainstream support on other mobile OS devices and there's a question of how the older version can or would run on a Tegra 4 system... While PB just got a update that helped improve the browser performance and updated Flash security... Crackle's website, Amazon Instant Video, etc. are still reasons to keep your PB around for the Flash support but of course a Tegra 4 based system would offer a lot more performance overall and the app market is a lot larger.

Though, just for comparisons at least, you may want to take a look at the Windows 8 Transformer T100 that we know will be coming out by either end of October or early November...

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    100 times
    I would wait. I personally would not purchase any item new that has been out for almost 2 years. I would wait, buy the latest and greatest and expect usability and updates for 18-24 months and continued functional usage for a few more years as a hand me down or sell it and upgrade. When you buy old tech, you don't know how long it will be supported and what the residual value will be. If it was a year ago, I would say get the 700. But with 45-60 days till probable release of the 701 I would wait. Heck maybe another tab will jump out between now and then.

Sent via electron magic. My opinion is my opinion and any solutions or ideas probably have a hundred ways to arrive at the same result. Unless you pay someone to provide the right answer, you get what you get. Free advice is often worth what you paid for it.
    Swipe likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks very much fellas. Those are some very helpful replies. I do NOT have to get this thing today, so I think I'll just bide my time and wait. I'll keep researching, and certainly check out the Win8 T100 when it comes out as well. Again, thanks.

Hey Zeo, thanks for not crapping all over the PlayBook. Seems to be the norm these days!!

Osmosis, I notice that you have the 700. Could you take the time to give me your impressions of this tablet? Would you buy it again if you had your time back? And will you be buying the 701? Thank you.

GC
    Last edited by GreatCanadian; 09-18-2013 at 06:09 AM.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links