Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    7 times

Lock screen has no PIN pad to enter PIN so I'm locked out of tablet

I got a weird one here and need help...

TF701T running stock Android 4.4.2, rooted with SuperUser.

I turned on the lock screen using a PIN. I had no lock screen set at all previously.

The next time I turned on the tablet, it came up with the lock screen (some swooshy, bluish and other colours, cascading picture), but there's no PIN pad to enter the PIN. There are no controls on it at all. It doesn't even show the owner info.

I can swipe down to get Quick Settings with Boost, Calculator, Quick memo, and Dictionary.

Swiping up from the bottom or in from either side gets nothing.

Doesn't matter if I have the keyboard dock attached or not.

Booting into Safe Mode brings up the same PIN pad-less lock screen.

So at this point I'm completely locked out of my tablet.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Scarab1; 06-16-2017 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Added additional info.
    Messing with Android since 2011:
    • Nook Color - CyanogenMod 7.2 and MiRaGe 7.2
    • ASUS MeMO Pad 7 - rooted, stock ROM
    • ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T - rooted, stock ROM
    • ASUS Transformer Pad TF701T - rooted, stock ROM
    • And several Samsung Galaxy smartphones over the years: S3, S7, J3

And a very long-time Palm OS user - Would you believe I still use one daily?

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2821 times
    Factory Reset from Recovery using the hardware keys

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Serious Hacker
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Factory Reset from Recovery using the hardware keys
    Thanks, janner43, but you know how I like to avoid those. :-)

Any idea what caused this? I couldn't find anything similar searching online and I can't believe the lock screen is inherently busted on 4.4.2.

I did find a couple of ways to remove the lock screen through ADB. However they require mounting /system as RW and none of the various commands I found on line to do that are working, with all resulting in an "operation not permitted" error.

URLs with possible fixes:
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...ne-through-adb
    https://www.maxoberberger.net//blog/...ice-using-adb/

Anyone here know the correct syntax to mount /system as RW through ADB for the TF701T?

Also, this was the first time I've used ADB to connect to the TF701T. Is there anything on the tablet side I have to do to "confirm" or "accept" that connection? Wondering if that is a problem as I've got no way to access the tablet at this point.

So if I can find a way to mount RW, there are a couple of commands I can try to fix this.

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    327 times
    I think you need to tell SuperSU to allow ADB root access, which you can't do with a locked screen. This sort of thing is the reason I disable lock screens immediately after installing a ROM. Is ADB even enabled in dev options? (it's called USB debugging). Too late now if it isn't.

I'm not sure if it applies to your 701 or no, but i seem to recall a post somewhere about this problem. The pin pad is there, but invisible, so that if you know where the buttons are supposed to be you can just touch there. Maybe a bit of Googling might bring up a pic somewhere? Another thing to try is using the number keys on the dock, or even plug in a USB keypad or keyboard.
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100

TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

Serious Hacker
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinthefixer View Post
    I think you need to tell SuperSU to allow ADB root access, which you can't do with a locked screen. This sort of thing is the reason I disable lock screens immediately after installing a ROM. Is ADB even enabled in dev options? (it's called USB debugging). Too late now if it isn't.

I'm not sure if it applies to your 701 or no, but i seem to recall a post somewhere about this problem. The pin pad is there, but invisible, so that if you know where the buttons are supposed to be you can just touch there. Maybe a bit of Googling might bring up a pic somewhere? Another thing to try is using the number keys on the dock, or even plug in a USB keypad or keyboard.
    Thank, Kevin. I suspect being unable to give ADB root access is the problem.

USB debugging was turned on already.

I'd already tried the number keys on the dock, no luck. And tapping anywhere on the lock screen seems to have no effect. It really is like there are no controls at all on it.

I'm going to ask what is likely a stupid question, but here goes...

If I factory reset it, will I need to reinstall the updates to bring it back to 4.4.2 as well as re-root it? My guess is yes, but there's always hope.

Serious Hacker
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    7 times
    I'll toss another thought out there...

Where does SuperSU keep the list of apps that it's granted root access to?

If I used ADB to connect to my TF300T and granted root access to it through the SuperSU root grant pop up, then could I adb pull those settings from the TF300T to my laptop, then push them to the TF700T, thereby giving ADB root access on it, bypassing the grant dialog that SuperSU usually pops up and that I can't access as the TF700T is locked?

Then I could try those fixed I found on line.

Just grasping at straws here...

And if there isn't any out from this other then a factory reset, do you think when I do that is a good time to install TWRP or CWM so I can do a nandroid backup on a regular basis so I can recover when something weird like this happens in the future?

Anything else you'd recommend I do to it if I have to start from scratch anyway?

I'm not sure I'm ready to put a custom ROM on it yet, but am willing to hear the case for doing so. :-)

Do I lose any Transformer-specific capabilities with a custom ROM? I use the keyboard dock (including USB port and SD slot) regularly if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Scarab1; 06-17-2017 at 10:02 PM.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    327 times
    No, you won't have to reinstall updates to /system. A factory reset simply wipes the /data partition without (hopefully) wiping media, so you don't lose documents or photos. You'll retain root, but will have to reinstall the SuperSU app from Play Store.

I can't find where SuperSU keeps its settings either, and given the sensitive nature of a root app, they probably hide it well and encrypt it. Probably wouldn't be a good idea to import it from the 300, anyway.

"And if there isn't any out from this other then a factory reset, do you think when I do that is a good time to install TWRP or CWM so I can do a nandroid backup on a regular basis so I can recover when something weird like this happens in the future?" A resounding YES. I far prefer TWRP.

Last I looked, Timduru's Nougat ROM for the 701 lacked a driver for the camera, so I'm still on Marshmallow on mine, I use the camera now & then. TBH I haven't seen a whole lot of difference between MM and Nougat anyway. Aside from that, the dock (including function keys, SD card, etc) is fully functional. KatKiss ROMs are not generic ROMs adapted to the tablet, they are developed for Transformers.

Do you really need a list of advantages to custom ROMs? Here are a few:

No bloat. Nobody pays Tim to add their apps to his ROMs. In fact KK doesn't even come with a GUI file manager. (Speaking of which, ES has become so bloated and intrusive that I'm looking for an alternative, any suggestions?)

Partly because of no bloat, increased speed and stability. Oh, you can overclock it until it goes unstable, but the default settings are rock-solid.

Support forums. Specifically, this one and XDA. Asus support for these TFs has become a sick joke, but the lineup of (free) support between the two forums is stellar, even more so if you have KK installed and so have Timduru on board. His knowledge and abilities leave me slack-jawed.

I'm sure I forgot some stuff, it's been years since I put up with a stock ROM. I do remember the sense of relief getting out from under all those Asus apps, especially with the known bug in the stock Polaris app that can cause huge data loss. And of course the warm fuzzy of "yeah, I did it!"

But even if you stick with stock, the ability to take and reinstall Nandroids is crucial, as you just found out. With TWRP you also have some filesystem repair tools lacking in CWM.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    697 times
    Hey @scarab1, during the time you spent trying to figure out a way to get around a factory reset you could have done 2 of them!

Kevin, I like File Manager HD. Not too bloated but has everything I want. You need to get the paid version though. Just like with ES the ads will drive you nuts in the free one

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    TF700 on Android 7 Nougatella TF701 Katshmallow (Android 6.0.1) Nexus 5x on Pure Nexus Nougat/Google Fi

Serious Hacker
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    7 times
    Kevin and droidbound,

Thank you for the replies and the info.

Going to reply back to everything at once...

Dealing with bloat:
    I freeze the apps I can't uninstall in Titanium. Yes, the app is still on the drive taking up some space, but it's gone from Google Play trying to update it or it doing anything on it's own.

File managers:
    My daily is a pre-bloat version of ES File Explorer. One of the advantages of having multiple devices - I updated ES on one device and when I was finished exclaiming "When did this become a bloated piece of crap!", I uninstalled it, extracted the APK from another, non-updated device, copied it around to my other devices, then protected the backup in Titanium in case I forgot and updated it in the future.

I also really like X-plore as you get side by side panes - great for copying/moving files, comparing directories, or comparing with another device (connected over the LAN to my laptop).

For "deep under the hood stuff", I use Root Explorer.

All of these I've been using going back to my Nook Color days with no issues.

(Note that I also run AdAway so that may be filtering out some ads I'm not even aware of.)

Manufacturer support seems to be generally weak for all tech. They go down their list of questions without variation. If that list doesn't solve it, factory restore! I've always found the net to be a whole lot more helpful! :-)

Office apps:
    You mentioned the bug with Polaris so I thought I'd toss my favs out there. I don't do much writing on the tablet, but like:
    - OfficeSuite as it can access RTF files.
    - WPS Office as it can save as PDF and it shows section breaks in Word docs.
    - I do use Polaris Office for casual viewing and editing of Word docs, but its the free version through Google Play, not the version that came pre-installed. I don't know which versions the bug applies to.

droidbound, in reply to "during the time you spent trying to figure out a way to get around a factory reset you could have done 2 of them"...

<sarcasm>Yes, I know.</sarcasm>

But after dodging the factory reset bullet when I couldn't get those apps to installed a few weeks back, I'm just trying to get all my options before I have to commit to a reset. Doing a factory reset to solve a problem almost seems like giving in and I prefer to make tech bend to what I want, if I can. :-)

Would you guys be willing to give me reality check on my game plan now and answer a few more questions?

Step 1:
    Factory reset.
    No choice as I can't unlock the thing.

Step 2:
    Install TWRP.
    - Immediate goal: Nandroid backup of stock should I want/need to recover to that.
    - Longer-term goal: Nandroid backups on a regular basis for the next time something bites me.
    How do I install TWRP?
    An albeit quick Google search found several posts back from 2014 wondering if/when TWRP would be available for the TF701T, but I didn't see anything about it being available now. So if there's a post you can point me to?

Step 3:
    After I have my nandroid of stock, install Timduru's Marshmallow ROM.
    Again, if you know of a post with good directions, I'd appreciate being pointed to it.

Generally I'm happy bashing through this stuff on my own, but I've got to admit that getting everything set up on it, narrowly avoiding the factory reset just a couple of weeks ago, then having this bizarre issue with the lock screen likely forcing me to do a factory reset now, all of this is beginning to try my patience. So I'm hoping for a smooth path with continued great guidance from the masters as I move forward.

Thank you.

Steve

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    327 times
    XDA developers is the font of most things dev:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/transformer-tf701

http://forum.xda-developers.com/tran...6#post61045466

https://forum.xda-developers.com/tra...t/rom-t3496994

Just one thing, though, AFAIK you are not unlocked. This can be sticky. DO THIS IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE WIPE, before you access Play Store or whatever. Your wi-fi account is the only one that can be on the tablet in order to succeed in unlocking. Download the unlock app from Asus and put it on your microSD card, then run it while there is no Google account or Asus account present. You'll get a warning about no account present, hit OK and it works.

You might practice using Fastboot beforehand but the sticky part of that is the ADB drivers which we know are working. Once unlocked, simply fastboot flash your downloaded TWRP image and fastboot reboot. @droidbound wrote a very good guide for the 700, which you can follow in principle, but of course the files to download are going to be different.

Beginners Guide to flashing a custom ROM on TF700T

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links