Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: New TF701T owner - so far, so good, other than unable to restore some apps

Serious Hacker
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    7 times

New TF701T owner - so far, so good, other than unable to restore some apps

Hello!

New TF701T owner here.

Been happily using a TF300T since 2013, but it was starting to get slow. I found a used TF701T on eBay and picked it up. I've had it for less than a week so far, but so far, so good.

I've applied all existing updates to it and the dock. The dock was made in April 2014 and is a snug fit to the tablet, so hopefully I'll be able to avoid some of the issues reported.

I rooted it with Kingo Root, then replaced Kingo's superuser app with SuperSU.

The only issue I've run into so far is that I was unable to restore eight apps through Titanium Backup. (Backups made on TF300T, then whole backup folder copied to TF701T.) All the rest (about 100) restored fine. But for these eight, TB just hungs, spinning, until I reboot. Same on the second try. Trying to install these apps direct from Play Store gets error about insufficient space, despite have 2+ GB free. (Other apps install fine from Play, so it's not really a space issue.)

Sounds like I have corrupted/incomplete installs that have left crap somewhere, but I don't know where. Of course these apps don't show up as "installed" anywhere I've looked, so I can't uninstall them and try again.

Any suggestions?

The other issue I'm working through is remapping two keys on the keyboard dock - I want to swap Search and Alt so I can easily left-hand thumb and finger them. So far I've edited ASUS_Transkeyboard.kl and asuspec.kl without luck. Will try Generic.kl and tegra-kbc.kl next.

Thanks,

Steve

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Welcome to the forum

We have a couple of knowledgable folks here on customising these.
    Droidbound & Kevinthefixer

They'll likely drop in soon.

Moved to Development

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    Well I dunno about knowledgeable, but yeah I'm likely to drop in. This may mean I've nothing better to do.

First I'm going to tell you that you're flirting with disaster attempting to "restore" TiBU backups from a 300 to a 701. These are pretty radically different tablets, and you're lucky that a failure to install is all that happened.

The other thing that caught my eye--You're running more than 100 user-installed apps on one poor little ol' tablet? No wonder your 300 slowed down, why encourage the 701 to do the same? (Yes, overstuffing the storage will slow it down.) I recommend you keep around 10 GB free on your internal /data partition.

Which apps specifically will and won't install from Play store, and which won't from TiBU? The devil's in the details. Some of these may require large storage space as well as the program files themselves.

And lastly (for now, I tend to be a motormouth), in order to get the most out of both tablets, I recommend custom firmware, specifically KatKiss ROM. The 701 is fast enough to be useable with stock FW but the 300 is a completely different animal with modern ROMs and filesystems.
    janner43 likes this.
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100

TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

Serious Hacker
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Welcome to the forum

We have a couple of knowledgable folks here on customising these.
    Droidbound & Kevinthefixer

They'll likely drop in soon.

Moved to Development

Thank you, janner43, for the welcome and for moving my post.

Steve
    janner43 likes this.

Serious Hacker
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    7 times
    Hello Kevinthefixer,

Thank you for the reply and the advice.

I wasn't doing batch restores from the TF300T backup files, just restoring specific apps, one by one. Well aware that the two tabs are different beasts on different OS versions and didn't want to overwrite something specific to the TF701T. :-)

The slowdown on the TF300T is a relatively recent development, say the last few months. I haven't added more than a few apps in that time, but I have updated many, so I'm wondering if I'm simply running into issues with newer versions of apps taking more resources than the TF300T can give up happily.

Thank you for the suggestion about 10 GB free. I'll move some stuff from eMMC to mSD.

The eight apps I'm having the problem with are:
    - aTilt 3D Labyrinth Free
    - Glow Hockey 2
    - Jacquemart
    - Labyrinth Lite
    - Magic 8-Ball
    - TimeZoneDB for ClockSync
    - Turbo Dismount
    - X-Plane

I've thought about putting a custom ROM on the TF300T, but have held off while it was my main device. My playing with Android goes back to a Nook Color that I put a custom ROM on the day I bought it. Worked well, but wasn't particularly stable, and I think I eventually fried the CPU overclocking it. So I've been hesitant to risk that with the TF300T. But once I get all moved over to the TF701T, I might give it a shot.

Thank you again for your help and in advance for any other thoughts you have on getting these eight apps installed.

Steve

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    Well once you get a bit more space then try installing some of the other apps. I'm not familiar with them so I don't know their requirements. But I still think you're putting way too many apps on one tablet.

It's safe to install any app from the Play Store, they err on the cautious side, but it may not be safe to install one that PS allowed on another tablet. That being said, it's possible to copy the .apk file from one that it's installed on, then copy to the other tab and install from a file manager such as ES File Explorer. I like to use AirDroid, it makes it easy to extract the .apk files. I also find it helpful to occasionally store them on my workhorse desktop just in case I'm not happy with some update. Newer versions of Amazon Kindle, for instance, won't open on my better half's TF700, so when she forgets and updates it I can revert it easily.

I encourage you to unlock & ROM your 300. Mine is running KatKiss-Nougatella and it's rock-stable although it's overclocked. The developer (timduru) is unbelievably knowledgeable concerning TFs and knows when to quit. And once you have the 300 working well, you might think about ROMing the 701 as well. In both cases, once you're unlocked and have TWRP installed, the thing to do is to shoot a Nandroid backup so that you have the option of returning to stock at any time. There are guides on this forum for the 300 and 700, for the 701 you just use the 700 guide and substitute the correct files. For now I'm sticking with the Marshmallow ROM for my 701 because the Nougat lacks a camera driver and I use the cam. I believe Tim is working on it, but MM works very well on it.
    Scarab1 likes this.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    I just installed these apps on my TF701 running Katshmallow, Android 6.0
    - Glow Hockey 2
    - Jacquemart
    - Turbo Dismount
    (You owe me 1.5 hours of my life btw. Did not really need all that distraction)
    They all install and run just fine, so it is something about your setup, could be something about the TiBu restore - hard to say without wiping the whole bit and starting from scratch again...
    Personally I would not restore anything but pure data from a backup if I did a version change. Any kind of settings restore could throw the monkey in the wrench - or did the monkey throw the wrench? A wench?
    Whatever - I see a factory reset in your future my friend. Or even better: A custom rom.
    Rooted stock is so .... idk.... useless???
    Last edited by droidbound; 05-29-2017 at 10:59 PM.
    Scarab1 likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    Well, remember it's a 701, enough system resources so it'll run with stock ROM. But it's so yesterday!

Serious Hacker
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinthefixer View Post
    Well once you get a bit more space then try installing some of the other apps. I'm not familiar with them so I don't know their requirements. But I still think you're putting way too many apps on one tablet.

It's safe to install any app from the Play Store, they err on the cautious side, but it may not be safe to install one that PS allowed on another tablet. That being said, it's possible to copy the .apk file from one that it's installed on, then copy to the other tab and install from a file manager such as ES File Explorer. I like to use AirDroid, it makes it easy to extract the .apk files. I also find it helpful to occasionally store them on my workhorse desktop just in case I'm not happy with some update. Newer versions of Amazon Kindle, for instance, won't open on my better half's TF700, so when she forgets and updates it I can revert it easily.

I encourage you to unlock & ROM your 300. Mine is running KatKiss-Nougatella and it's rock-stable although it's overclocked. The developer (timduru) is unbelievably knowledgeable concerning TFs and knows when to quit. And once you have the 300 working well, you might think about ROMing the 701 as well. In both cases, once you're unlocked and have TWRP installed, the thing to do is to shoot a Nandroid backup so that you have the option of returning to stock at any time. There are guides on this forum for the 300 and 700, for the 701 you just use the 700 guide and substitute the correct files. For now I'm sticking with the Marshmallow ROM for my 701 because the Nougat lacks a camera driver and I use the cam. I believe Tim is working on it, but MM works very well on it.

Hello Kevin,

That you again for your advice.

I now have ~11 GB free on internal memory, yet these apps still won't install. Trying to install from the Play Store still results in a "not enough space" error during the install.

I'd already tried your .APK idea - I'd extracted .APKs for these apps on the TF300T using Super Manager. I've been doing that for years to copy apps from one device to another and for creating archived copies of older versions of apps. Unfortunately, that didn't solve the problem either. When I try to install from those manually created .APKs (using ES File Explorer - the older, junk-free version), Android appears to go through the install process, but then ends with an "App not installed" message in the dialog box that normally would have the Open button to open the newly-installed app.

What I need now, I think, is an understanding of the steps that Android takes while installing an app. I'm not a programmer so don't know what's happening behind the scenes. So what's the Android equivalent of a Window app install - putting files in \Program Files, maybe \Windows, and entries in the Windows Registry? I'm still thinking I have something "partial" there that's preventing the subsequent install attempts, yet not enough to have the app show as installed in the app management settings or apps I've tried.

I've been able to install several apps from Play Store and restore several apps through Titanium Backup, even after my error-prone apps failed to install, so it's not something broader with the tablet. Just those eight apps.

Thank you for the tips on putting a custom ROM on the TF300T. On the to-do list after I get the TF701T straightened out. :-)

Steve

Serious Hacker
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    I just installed these apps on my TF701 running Katshmallow, Android 6.0
    - Glow Hockey 2
    - Jacquemart
    - Turbo Dismount
    (You owe me 1.5 hours of my life btw. Did not really need all that distraction)
    They all install and run just fine, so it is something about your setup, could be something about the TiBu restore - hard to say without wiping the whole bit and starting from scratch again...
    Personally I would not restore anything but pure data from a backup if I did a version change. Any kind of settings restore could throw the monkey in the wrench - or did the monkey throw the wrench? A wench?
    Whatever - I see a factory reset in your future my friend. Or even better: A custom rom.
    Rooted stock is so .... idk.... useless???

Hello droidbound,

Thank you for being a test case. :-)

Everyone needs a ball-in-a-labyrinth, air hockey, and a crash simulator game - don't they? I'll admit that unless you go to Paris, Jacquemart (museum guide) isn't all that necessary. You didn't mention X-Plane. It's a very relaxing flight simulator if you just want to buzz around, no air combat. I'm partial to taking an SR-71 on full afterburner through canyons - very relaxing.

I replied to Kevinthefixer's post (#6) a few minutes ago. I agree completely that it's an issue with something on my TF701T. The apps installed and ran fine on my rooted and ROM'd Nook Color, rooted Asus MeMO Pad 7", and rooted TF300T.

Other apps installed fine before and after on the TF701T, so it's not a broad issue with the TF701T. And with 10 GB free now of internal memory, no way it's a space issue.

I like the games, but they aren't worth a factory reset. :-(

The only other thing I've found was a reference that apps might fail to install because of resolution or PPI. Both are real high on the TF701T. Ever run across that as a possible explanation for an install failure before?

Otherwise, as I mentioned in my reply to Kevin, I'd love to find out the actual steps Android takes to install an app. I'm really thinking some partial install is our there, causing the subsequent attempts to fail.

Thanks,

Steve

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links