Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: New TF701T owner - so far, so good, other than unable to restore some apps

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Not a stupid question at all!
    For the TF701 that never existed, no. But if you would be willing to go back to JB 4.2 you could find some roms supporting rom2sd (that's what we called it at the time) for the TF300.
    Although not the way you envision it. rom2sd was more of a dual boot situation of similar but different roms than two completely different and separate roms. Reason is, that both roms have to share the same kernel and that only works for specific roms where the kernel was adapted accordingly. So you still would not be able to run stock for the wife and then pop in KatKiss for your own enjoyment. Or even stock and a JB based custom rom. Not worth it IMO...

Much easier would be to install a custom recovery, create a full nandroid backup of stock and pack that away safely on a microsd. Then format data and install Nougat, set it up and also create a nandroid.
    Then you could use the Restore function in TWRP to go from one to the other.
    Not what you envisioned, I know, but as close as you are going to get I think.

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    I think the same. Keep in mind that, with the current (and probably permanent) security setup, unlocking a TF involves a factory reset. Seems that if there is a Google account on the tablet the unlock app cannot verify the password, so all accounts need to be cleared before it can be unlocked successfully. Your wife might just like the 300 after it's been wiped, though, I'm betting it'll be a lot faster, even on stock. But much faster yet on KatKiss.

There isn't much maintenance to be done on a KatKiss installation. My better half has a TF700 on KK, about twice a year I need to revert her Kindle app because she forgets and updates it. She leaves it running most of the time anyway, and on the charger, so the ROM automatically runs fstrim and some other optimizations that slip my mind ATM. I think it's more work maintaining a rooted stock ROM, it has no auto optimizations.
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

Serious Hacker
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinthefixer View Post
    I think the same. Keep in mind that, with the current (and probably permanent) security setup, unlocking a TF involves a factory reset. Seems that if there is a Google account on the tablet the unlock app cannot verify the password, so all accounts need to be cleared before it can be unlocked successfully. Your wife might just like the 300 after it's been wiped, though, I'm betting it'll be a lot faster, even on stock. But much faster yet on KatKiss.

There isn't much maintenance to be done on a KatKiss installation. My better half has a TF700 on KK, about twice a year I need to revert her Kindle app because she forgets and updates it. She leaves it running most of the time anyway, and on the charger, so the ROM automatically runs fstrim and some other optimizations that slip my mind ATM. I think it's more work maintaining a rooted stock ROM, it has no auto optimizations.

droidbound and Kevin,

Gentlemen, thank you again for the tips.

For a look back into history, I found the web page (on XDA, no less) with the old directions for putting Android 2.3 on mSD:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=1000957

It would be cool if that were still possible.

Steve
    Messing with Android since 2011:
    • Nook Color - CyanogenMod 7.2 and MiRaGe 7.2
    • ASUS MeMO Pad 7 - rooted, stock ROM
    • ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T - rooted, stock ROM
    • ASUS Transformer Pad TF701T - rooted, stock ROM
    • And several Samsung Galaxy smartphones over the years: S3, S7, J3

And a very long-time Palm OS user - Would you believe I still use one daily?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links