Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: New TF701T owner - so far, so good, other than unable to restore some apps

  1. #11
    Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    47492
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Tablet
    TF700
    Posts
    2,724
    Liked
    711 times
    I agree with you that something is "stuck" from an earlier installation, preventing the apps to install and run normally.
    I disagree on your attempt to a solution as in: Hunting for some file or other that may be the culprit. There are too many places to look and too often file names do not indicate which app they belong to.
    Go ahead and root through your /data/app/ folder, delete anything that reminds you of the 8 apps and try again. But I think that is pretty futile. You need a clean and fresh start and that would be wipe of /data (also called a factory reset), better yet a format of /data which you can only do in a custom recovery.

    BTW, you were looking for a way to remap keys on the keyboard. The only one I know of who mastered that is the dev for the KatKiss roms, timduru.
    Check out his post here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...66&postcount=2
    And the source code to his rom is here: https://github.com/timduru/android_device_asus_tf701t

  2. #12
    Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    12453
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Posts
    14,013
    Liked
    2825 times
    Steve,

    I'd listen to these guys if I were you. They know these Asus devices & their available ROMS inside & out. With my knowledge, I too believe that your method is flawed.

    Android is just too device specific and convoluted to be able to successfully do what you have tried to do. I cannot understand your reluctance to do a data wipe - it's commonplace for anyone who has ever used Android extensively. Rooting per se is a solution to nothing. It's largely pointless.

    I use data wipes all the time. On my Chromebook when I was playing around with dual booting & various ways of using Linux on it, I power washed several times. I even had to do a full external reinstall of Chrome OS when I made its partition too small to allow that to function. Same approach on my router when trying to get my cable modem to play with it. You should only build on a firm foundation. That's what a data wipe gives you.

    In my view you should (on your TF701)
    1) Install a custom recovery
    2) Wipe your device totally
    3) Install a custom ROM
    4) Configure it without apps
    5) Install your favourite apps a few at a time, soak testing for a few days before installing more.

    In general, I think you are asking too much of Android on these devices - to even have a hope of a machine not running like treacle across a sticky surface you need a much more detailed and system based approach.

    Your machine, your decision, but you can't expect us to just agree with your approach when we don't.
    Scarab1 likes this.

    PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

    Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

    Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

    Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

    Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

  3. #13
    Serious Hacker
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    93294
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Kansas
    Tablet
    TF701
    Posts
    31
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinthefixer View Post
    The other thing that caught my eye--You're running more than 100 user-installed apps on one poor little ol' tablet.

    Hey Kevin,

    I've got to say that these "poor little ol' tablets" are pretty versatile.

    I'm still playing with the new TF701T, but with the older TF300T + keyboard dock I used:
    - 3rd-party VPN to connect with office network to access and sync with file shares. (Built-in VPN wouldn't connect.)
    - RDP, Citrix, and Teamviewer to access remote desktops.
    - BT and USB mice.
    - SD and mSD cards via the dock's SD slot.
    - USB flash and external hard drives. (Very handy plugging a 1 TB USB HD into my tablet.)
    - Ethernet via USB to Ethernet adapter.
    - Tablet as a second monitor for laptop via USB.

    All in a device a lot smaller than my laptop. :-)

    Steve

  4. #14
    Serious Hacker
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    93294
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Kansas
    Tablet
    TF701
    Posts
    31
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Steve,

    I'd listen to these guys if I were you. They know these Asus devices & their available ROMS inside & out. With my knowledge, I too believe that your method is flawed.

    Android is just too device specific and convoluted to be able to successfully do what you have tried to do. I cannot understand your reluctance to do a data wipe - it's commonplace for anyone who has ever used Android extensively. Rooting per se is a solution to nothing. It's largely pointless.

    I use data wipes all the time. On my Chromebook when I was playing around with dual booting & various ways of using Linux on it, I power washed several times. I even had to do a full external reinstall of Chrome OS when I made its partition too small to allow that to function. Same approach on my router when trying to get my cable modem to play with it. You should only build on a firm foundation. That's what a data wipe gives you.

    In my view you should (on your TF701)
    1) Install a custom recovery
    2) Wipe your device totally
    3) Install a custom ROM
    4) Configure it without apps
    5) Install your favourite apps a few at a time, soak testing for a few days before installing more.

    In general, I think you are asking too much of Android on these devices - to even have a hope of a machine not running like treacle across a sticky surface you need a much more detailed and system based approach.

    Your machine, your decision, but you can't expect us to just agree with your approach when we don't.

    Thanks, janner43. I have no doubt it's going to come to a full wipe. My reluctance comes from having the TF701T for less than a week and already having everything installed and set up that I want, other than those 8 apps, and using it daily, so wiping and starting all over again is not something I'm excited about. :-(

    To droidbound's suggestion, I checked /data/app and found nothing pertaining to those eight apps, so no luck there. As droidbound predicted. ;-)

    My background is ~25 years of Windows and DOS support, plus some AIX admin, so I was hoping Android app installs would be somewhat straightforward as well. Apparently not.

    I definitely want to thank each of you for your suggestions so far. Even though they won't fix my issue the way I was hoping it could be fixed, they've been really helpful in helping me to understand more about Android. There's always more to learn!

    My feeling is that there aren't a lot of us TF701 owners out there, at least compared with the TF300 and TF700, based on the number of threads in those forums? I'm looking forward to learning more in these forums and being able to contribute back as best I can.

    For now, I'm going to focus on the keyboard remapping. I was able to do it on the TF300T with just rooting the stock ROM, so it should be possible on the TF701T as well. I'll report back what happens.


    Steve
    janner43 likes this.

  5. #15
    Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    12453
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Posts
    14,013
    Liked
    2825 times
    Steve, if you can survive 25 years of Windows & DOS support, you can survive almost anything...
    The problem with Android is also its greatest plus point - open source.

    Asus can fork the OS in a very proprietory way and there's no way of knowing what they did.

    And they can vary it between models and that's where your difficulty has arisen, I feel.

    On the subject of the TF300, I think you'll be amazed by a custom ROM on it - from what I read here, it's a real transformation
    Scarab1 likes this.

    PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

    Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

    Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

    Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

    Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

  6. #16
    Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    68238
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Posts
    1,417
    Liked
    335 times
    "to even have a hope of a machine not running like treacle across a sticky surface"--You can sure tell which side of the pond J. is from!

    I'd try to install some of these apps myself but it would be pointless, it has KatKiss on it. The only way I can think to gain more info on the install would be to set up ADB and do an adb install, that might output some CLI gobbledygook that might contain a clue. Not hard to find the operative term in that last sentence, it's repeated.

    As far as doing a data wipe (or factory reset, same animal), I suggest you get used to it. IMHO droids in general run better and faster if this happens to them once a year, give or take. The 701 in particular seems to be, well, particular about filesystem corruption on the /data partition. @DB suggested a full format of /data, and I agree wholeheartedly; and as he pointed out, this means unlocking the bootloader and installing a custom recovery. AFAIK if you want (and you do) a full low-level format, that means TWRP, as the other option (CWM) lacks that function. Nonetheless that's what I recommend at this point.

    I don't know much about the install process either, except that I'm a Linux user and Android is an offshoot of Linux (some say it IS Linux). There is no registry (hallelujah!) to worry about, and the program file will only have the one binary executable. But it will have a list of dependencies and known conflicts for the installer to check before it lets that binary out to play, and I suspect that somewhere in there is your problem(s), probably in the conflict(s). That's why I'm thinking it might be interesting to see the terminal output of an ADB install. But in the long run I suspect the solution will be the same: clean the slate then start drawing the picture again.

    I'd go on foaming at the mouth and libeling Windows but I'm about to turn into a pumpkin and I need my beauty sleep. Boy do I ever.

    Edit: or is it libelling?
    Last edited by Kevinthefixer; 05-31-2017 at 09:50 PM.
    janner43 and Scarab1 like this.
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

    T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

    TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

    What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

  7. #17
    Serious Hacker
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    93294
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Kansas
    Tablet
    TF701
    Posts
    31
    Liked
    7 times

    Keyboard dock remapping - SOLVED

    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    BTW, you were looking for a way to remap keys on the keyboard. The only one I know of who mastered that is the dev for the KatKiss roms, timduru.
    Check out his post here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...66&postcount=2
    And the source code to his rom is here: https://github.com/timduru/android_device_asus_tf701t

    I figured out the keyboard dock remapping.

    Edit asuspec.kl, located in /system/usr/keylayout.
    Of course, need to mount the folder read/write first. And I'd suggest making a copy of asuspec.kl before editing in case something gets messed up. (I used Root Explorer for the mount change, the copy, and the edits.)

    (I'm on stock ROM with the 4.4.2 update, rooted.)

    I wanted to swap the Search and ALT_RIGHT keys on the keyboard dock so I could easily toggle between apps using my left thumb on the remapped SEARCH-to-ALT key and a finger on the Tab key.

    To accomplish this, in asuspec.kl I found the rows for keys 100 (originally ALT_RIGHT) and 217 (originally SEARCH). All I needed to do was swap the two numbers - 100 for 217. You don't have to edit anything else on the rows. Though the rows are in numeric order in the file, that doesn't matter. Save the file, mount back to read-only, then power off and on.

    While I was in asuspec.kl, I also remapped the Lock key (key 142 to be FORWARD_DEL).

    I'd tried this a couple of nights ago and it didn't work, so apparently I missed a step then. But going through it again (paying more attention this time?) and it worked.

    (For some reason, to do the same thing on the TF300T - the other Transformer I have - you have to edit asusdec.kl. Why ASUS changed processes, who knows.)

    I hope this helps someone!


    Steve
    droidbound likes this.

  8. #18
    Serious Hacker
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    93294
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Kansas
    Tablet
    TF701
    Posts
    31
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Steve, if you can survive 25 years of Windows & DOS support, you can survive almost anything...
    The problem with Android is also its greatest plus point - open source.

    Asus can fork the OS in a very proprietory way and there's no way of knowing what they did.

    And they can vary it between models and that's where your difficulty has arisen, I feel.

    On the subject of the TF300, I think you'll be amazed by a custom ROM on it - from what I read here, it's a real transformation

    I thought I'd take some flack when I said I worked with Windows. :-)

    But thanks anyway, janner43.
    janner43 likes this.

  9. #19
    Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    47492
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Tablet
    TF700
    Posts
    2,724
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarab1 View Post
    I figured out the keyboard dock remapping.

    Edit asuspec.kl, located in /system/usr/keylayout.
    Of course, need to mount the folder read/write first. And I'd suggest making a copy of asuspec.kl before editing in case something gets messed up. (I used Root Explorer for the mount change, the copy, and the edits.)

    (I'm on stock ROM with the 4.4.2 update, rooted.)

    I wanted to swap the Search and ALT_RIGHT keys on the keyboard dock so I could easily toggle between apps using my left thumb on the remapped SEARCH-to-ALT key and a finger on the Tab key.

    To accomplish this, in asuspec.kl I found the rows for keys 100 (originally ALT_RIGHT) and 217 (originally SEARCH). All I needed to do was swap the two numbers - 100 for 217. You don't have to edit anything else on the rows. Though the rows are in numeric order in the file, that doesn't matter. Save the file, mount back to read-only, then power off and on.

    While I was in asuspec.kl, I also remapped the Lock key (key 142 to be FORWARD_DEL).

    I'd tried this a couple of nights ago and it didn't work, so apparently I missed a step then. But going through it again (paying more attention this time?) and it worked.

    (For some reason, to do the same thing on the TF300T - the other Transformer I have - you have to edit asusdec.kl. Why ASUS changed processes, who knows.)

    I hope this helps someone!


    Steve
    50 brownie points for that little gem. Works just fine in Katshmallow too and I was missing that forward delete we used to have on Cromi-X roms... If I can get the darn dock to connect that is.....

    Hey can somebody send this guy some kind of bribe to keep him around? He's useful!

  10. #20
    Serious Hacker
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    93294
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Kansas
    Tablet
    TF701
    Posts
    31
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinthefixer View Post
    "to even have a hope of a machine not running like treacle across a sticky surface"--You can sure tell which side of the pond J. is from!

    I'd try to install some of these apps myself but it would be pointless, it has KatKiss on it. The only way I can think to gain more info on the install would be to set up ADB and do an adb install, that might output some CLI gobbledygook that might contain a clue. Not hard to find the operative term in that last sentence, it's repeated.

    As far as doing a data wipe (or factory reset, same animal), I suggest you get used to it. IMHO droids in general run better and faster if this happens to them once a year, give or take. The 701 in particular seems to be, well, particular about filesystem corruption on the /data partition. @DB suggested a full format of /data, and I agree wholeheartedly; and as he pointed out, this means unlocking the bootloader and installing a custom recovery. AFAIK if you want (and you do) a full low-level format, that means TWRP, as the other option (CWM) lacks that function. Nonetheless that's what I recommend at this point.

    I don't know much about the install process either, except that I'm a Linux user and Android is an offshoot of Linux (some say it IS Linux). There is no registry (hallelujah!) to worry about, and the program file will only have the one binary executable. But it will have a list of dependencies and known conflicts for the installer to check before it lets that binary out to play, and I suspect that somewhere in there is your problem(s), probably in the conflict(s). That's why I'm thinking it might be interesting to see the terminal output of an ADB install. But in the long run I suspect the solution will be the same: clean the slate then start drawing the picture again.

    I'd go on foaming at the mouth and libeling Windows but I'm about to turn into a pumpkin and I need my beauty sleep. Boy do I ever.

    Edit: or is it libelling?

    Kevin,

    You're on to something here...

    When you mentioned looking at ADB output that made me think of logcat. I tried to install one of my problem apps, it failed of course, then I looked through logcat using Elixir 2. Around the install there were errors about being unable to write to /storage/SD, the SD slot in the keyboard dock.

    I've no idea why the app would want to write there. I can copy files to /storage/SD and can create folders there, so don't know why the install is failing due to seeming lack of write access. But this also seems to explain the "insufficient space" errors I get when trying to install these apps from the Play Store.

    Also, there are errors about "failed to create container smdl2tmp1". Online search found Fixing The "Couldn't Install On USB Storage Or SD Card" Problem On Android which suggested deleting that file from either /sdcard/.android_secure or /mnt/secure/asec/, whichever it’s in. But I didn’t have that file in either directory.

    Another suggestion was to create the file manually, but that didn’t work either.

    Another suggestion was to unmount all mSDs, then do the install, then remount the mSDs – SUCCESS!!!!
    Used this process to install all eight apps. Tested them and they worked fine.

    Problem solved!

    I'd swear I saw an option sometime in the past week somewhere to define where apps get installed to, but I can't find it now.

    I was able to find steps to change it through a terminal emulator:
    $ su
    $ pm get-install-location
    Will likely show: 0[auto]
    Change using: $ pm set-install-location #
    Where # is:
    0: Auto - Let system decide the best location.
    1: Internal - Install on internal device storage.
    2: External - Install on external media.
    Then to verify: $ pm get-install-location
    (I didn't make the change at this time though. Just filing away for future reference.)

    So problem solved, I have my apps, and no factory reset needed. I'm a happy guy!

    Once this wave of euphoria passes, I'll start thinking about putting a custom ROM on the TF300T.


    Steve
    janner43 likes this.

 

 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Unable to Connect TF701T to My Laptop - USB connection never sees the tablet
    By bugsy in forum Transformer Pad TF701T (Tegra 4) Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-05-2014, 06:00 PM
  2. Tf701t for painting - good Stylus?
    By Caumen in forum Transformer Pad TF701T (Tegra 4) Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-05-2013, 06:17 PM
  3. Tf701t for painting - good Stylus?
    By Caumen in forum Transformer Pad TF701T (Tegra 4) General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-05-2013, 06:17 AM
  4. TF300T - can't download any new apps or restore old ones
    By Donnalit in forum Transformer Pad 300 Help
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 07-15-2013, 08:35 AM
  5. Unable to restore a backup
    By Sardesai in forum Transformer Prime General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-23-2013, 08:17 PM

Search tags for this page

tf701t noigat

Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:10 AM.