Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    1 times

Changing SKUs - help please

pardon a very noob question, but is it possible to upgrade (or more accurately, crossgrade) between sku's ?

we have two 701t's, and one is ww, the other tw... as non-chinese speaking types, we would prefer the default settings all relate to the anglophone world

so, is it possible to use the described techniques in post #1 to do a simple shuffle of the rom ?

and for my next request, am i right that it's cwm or nothing to root the tf701t ?
    i'm already unlocked, but as i have considerable past experience with twrp on a clutch of tf300t's, and would be more confident using the tools i know

thanks for your kind counsel

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffy1 View Post
    pardon a very noob question, but is it possible to upgrade (or more accurately, crossgrade) between sku's ?

we have two 701t's, and one is ww, the other tw... as non-chinese speaking types, we would prefer the default settings all relate to the anglophone world

so, is it possible to use the described techniques in post #1 to do a simple shuffle of the rom ?

and for my next request, am i right that it's cwm or nothing to root the tf701t ?
    i'm already unlocked, but as i have considerable past experience with twrp on a clutch of tf300t's, and would be more confident using the tools i know

thanks for your kind counsel
    In principle this is not a problem, the hardware does not care which SKU you have on there. But the stock recovery will not flash a different SKU than you currently have on the tablet. It does a version check and if it does not match the flash will fail.

You can easily accomplish what you want by flashing a custom rom though. Or even just the stock rom (rooted) but that would include all the bloatware.
    Head over to XDA and there the Development section for the TF701. You'll have the choice between a number of roms:

Asus stock rooted JB 4.3
    Asus stock rooted KK 4.4.2
    CROMi-X 6.1 = based on JB 4.3 stock Asus rom
    CROMi-X 7.x = based on KK 4.4 stock Asus rom

Those are the roms you would want if you want to stay close to Asus stock.

In the Original Development section on XDA you'll also find:

ZOMBi-POP = based on Omni Lollipop 5.1.1 (what I'm running now)
    CROMBi-KK = based on KK 4.4.4 CM (not my favorite)
    CM 12 for the TF701 = I'm not fan of CM roms so I won't comment

Here you'll also find the fairly new touch based TWRP for the TF701. The fine folks at XDA finally found a way to squeeze the touch drivers into the tiny recovery partition and it works (I'm using it). There are still a few bugs, so read the thread, but nothing major. It sure beats CWM and navigating with the buttons....

Fastboot flash TWRP, choose your favorite rom, make absolutely sure you are on the correct bootloader for that rom (!!!!!!), shoot your nandroids, do the required wipes and flash away. That way you can have the same rom on both tablets.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    1 times
    i'm baaaaaaack....

success with installing twrp, and flashing WW TF701 TWRP 2.8.7.0 & 11.4.1.30 Booltloader zip Mirror 1 from over at xda

still, i am not rooted, and presume that can only come with a custom rom even if i have a non-custom bootloader, and as it doesn't add superuser in twrp due to space constraints

so.... can i side load superuser ? or do i need a custom rom like crombi-kk (which i don't mind) ? and can i load that using twrp ?

my preferred choice would be a rooted (and de-bloated) version of the asus stock rom - for herself, and i would likely go for zombi as i like lollipop most of all

fuerther cousel requested on the best options....
    Last edited by scruffy1; 07-28-2015 at 04:19 AM.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    501 times
    Download the superSU zip file to your tablet...ensure it is not in a folder. Boot into twrp and select install zip, find the superSU zip and select.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    1 times

Cool success !

Quote Originally Posted by frenziedfemale View Post
    Download the superSU zip file to your tablet...ensure it is not in a folder. Boot into twrp and select install zip, find the superSU zip and select.
    and we have lift off....

thanks to droidbound and frenziedfemale

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    1 times
    everything else is working fine, but the taiwanese version of the two pads i have rooted seems intent on maintaining its chinese heritage

i have now flashed it twice to ww 11.4.1.30-xxx but it has other intention, and the build number remains at tw 11.4.1.29-xxx and the browse defaults to taiwanese stuff in the navigation part of the default browser

any ideas on what i should be doing to force the issue ?
    it's not like we can't live with it, but seems weird that having repeatedly reformatted the thing that it returns like an undead being

maybe it's a call to install zombi-pop ?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    What do you mean by "reformatted"? How did you format it? In TWRP?
    BTW, you should not be doing any factory resets from Settings and definitely no Wipe Data from the bootloader menu with TWRP installed!!!! That can badly brick your tablet.
    How did you try to flash the ww firmware to the TW 701? In TWRP?
    AFAIK you could never flash the stock firmware in custom recovery - at least not in CWM which until very recently was all we got. Would be interesting if TWRP flashed the firmware fine... But apparently it didn't. If it did you would have lost TWRP again. The stock firmware is the full package: bootloader, recovery, kernel, rom all in one package.
    But there's no reason to mess with stock anymore.
    For either device:
    Download the rom you would like to flash and put it on a microSD.
    In TWRP go to Wipe, then Format Data. Type yes and let it finish which can take up to 90 minutes.
    Go back to Wipe > Advanced, check cache, Dalvik and system and wipe them
    Go back to Install, navigate to the microSD and select the rom you want to flash.
    Back to home in TWRP, then reboot system.
    First boot will take a long time.

If you flash ZOMBi-POP make sure you flash the performance patch after you flashed the rom (look at the last pages in the development thread).Those are just some files sbdags forgot to stuff into the rom
    So: do all formating, wiping, flash the rom, flash the patch, reboot system

BTW, we're going off topic here. If you wish to discuss this further please create a new thread in the TF701 Development section of this forum and post a link to it here.
    I can move some of the posts into that thread if you want to.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    What do you mean by "reformatted"? How did you format it? In TWRP?
    BTW, you should not be doing any factory resets from Settings and definitely no Wipe Data from the bootloader menu with TWRP installed!!!! That can badly brick your tablet.
    into twrp
    wipe dalvik cache
    reboot into twrp
    wipe and format

installed the ww as per DOWNLOADS! - Post #2 - XDA Forums
    added su zip in the initial load

AFAIK you could never flash the stock firmware in custom recovery - at least not in CWM which until very recently was all we got. Would be interesting if TWRP flashed the firmware fine... But apparently it didn't. If it did you would have lost TWRP again. The stock firmware is the full package: bootloader, recovery, kernel, rom all in one package.
    twrp's still there
    as is the original rom on both devices as per the "about software information" tab
    and they're rooted, as i can set up adaway (a big incentive to do the transformations in the first place - flash banners must die !)

But there's no reason to mess with stock anymore.
    apart from my spouse's requirements to have it look like she is used to doing

For either device:
    Download the rom you would like to flash and put it on a microSD.
    In TWRP go to Wipe, then Format Data. Type yes and let it finish which can take up to 90 minutes.
    took way less than that - but certainly several minutes, and announced success

Go back to Wipe > Advanced, check cache, Dalvik and system and wipe them
    Go back to Install, navigate to the microSD and select the rom you want to flash.
    Back to home in TWRP, then reboot system.
    First boot will take a long time.
    i did, and the rom i selected was indeed DOWNLOADS! - Post #2 - XDA Forums

first boot seemed to take quite a few minutes

If you flash ZOMBi-POP make sure you flash the performance patch after you flashed the rom (look at the last pages in the development thread).Those are just some files sbdags forgot to stuff into the rom
    So: do all formating, wiping, flash the rom, flash the patch, reboot system
    might have to go that path as i do like lollipop

BTW, we're going off topic here. If you wish to discuss this further please create a new thread in the TF701 Development section of this forum and post a link to it here.
    I can move some of the posts into that thread if you want to.
    shall do, starting with this post copied and pasted to here
    Last edited by scruffy1; 07-28-2015 at 11:49 PM.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Ok, now I begin to understand. The thread you linked to is not a rom thread. That is a bootloader/twrp combo pack. No wonder your About Tablet didn't change - your system partition never changed - except for root which you flashed earlier!

For your wife I would recommend this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/tran...t/rom-t2839030
    This rom is based on the last official Asus update. She won't be not be able to tell the difference to stock - unless she misses some of the bloatware and does not like the increased speed

For yourself flash this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/tran...t/rom-t3135277
    In the Downloads tab on that page (look at the black banner top of the page) you'll find the rom files.
    B4 was just released and I flashed in tonight, had a heck of a time to get the Play Store to work again.. (look at the last few pages in that thread).
    Eventually you want b4 + the dock battery patch (zip signature verification failed for me but may be a bad download) + the performance patch. But for the latter wait until sbdags confirmed it's the correct file. He maintains and updates roms for 4 tablets - could well be he uploaded the wrong file for the TF701. Stuff happens....
    Last edited by droidbound; 07-29-2015 at 01:34 AM.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    New thread created in Development
    Posts moved
    Second cross posted thread deleted

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links