Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Bricked it already, new record!

  1. #1
    Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    68238
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Posts
    1,417
    Liked
    335 times

    Bricked it already, new record!

    Just got my TF701 five days ago. And despite all the advice I've given to others about being patient etc. (Patience my ass, let's go kill something!), I committed a series of crimes and am now paying for it. I unlocked it (at least it says so), then went to update the firmware without making sure I had a backup beforehand. BAAAD! I'm not sure if I bumped the power button setting it down while it was flashing the update, or if it simply failed, but at any rate it did fail, and is now stuck in a strange bootloop. At first, it would boot into recovery, try to flash the update again, fail at the same point, boot into the Asus bootsplash, reboot into recovery over and over. At least I can still force it into fastboot, and since it says it's unlocked I should be able to flash a custom recovery, right? So I tried that, actually several different versions. Now it will no longer boot into recovery at all, simply reboots to the bootsplash every 20 seconds or so.

    It may be that none of the recovery images I've found are compatible with this bootloader version (US-10.14.1.44). Most of them want the latest KK bootloader, which I tried and failed to fastboot flash.

    Does anyone have a copy of Dr. Gravy's CWM? the link on XDA is no longer good, and it looks like that's the one I might need.

    I tried a Buster99, except that I am afraid to erase my boot partition--it seems to be the only thing working on the tablet right now. I very much doubt that bootit.ko will help, it is for a very different situation. I think if I can get ANY custom recovery to boot I will be able to save the machine, but so far I have failed at that, either by flashing it and trying to boot it from the bootloader screen or by fastboot boot. Either method simply returns to the bootloop state.

    To make things worse, @sdbags has just announced the Kang TWRP for the 701. But of course it too requires the newest bootloader.

    Suggestions, please? And/or a working link to Dr. Gravy's CWM recovery? Or anything else that might help? I'm about out of resources. And of course I'm ashamed of myself.

    And on top of all that I posted this in the wrong section. Move it for me please?
    Last edited by Kevinthefixer; 05-30-2015 at 02:05 PM.
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

    T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

    TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

    What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

  2. #2
    Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    47492
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Tablet
    TF700
    Posts
    2,724
    Liked
    711 times
    The only mistake I can see is that you unlocked before updating the bootloader to he last version - so don't be too hard on yourself.
    Before you do anything else, pm lj on XDA. He loves cases like this and since he's just developed the kang TWRP I would think he's very familiar with the TF701 right now.
    My inclination would be to do a full buster99 including the boot partition, but ask Josh first and get ready to hit him up on Hangouts - that's where he does his consulting work
    Good luck, buddy!!

  3. #3
    Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    53776
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Posts
    1,923
    Liked
    484 times
    Well on the upside you are able to experience first hand what it's like dealing with forum support for a bricked device. Remember just be patient and don't be afraid to ask questions
    J

    ... Also I seem to remember users having success with some sort of "live Linux cd" but you're on your own with that. We do have an excellent guide here on the forum.
    leeshor and janner43 like this.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

    Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

    Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

  4. #4
    Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    68238
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Posts
    1,417
    Liked
    335 times
    Thanks guys, I'll definitely get ahold of LJ and see if he has time for this.

    @GT, I screwed this dog using the same Linux distro as that CD. I hope I can unscrew it also.

    @DB, that early unlocking could have been corrected, had I not been impatient as I said. I used to do this kind of stunt after way too many beers, looks like I'm still a fool, just a sober one. At least I'm just losing computers, not families and houses (so far anyway).
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

    T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

    TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

    What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

  5. #5
    Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    12453
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Posts
    14,013
    Liked
    2825 times
    Patience my ass, let's go kill something
    I remember that t-shirt / sweatshirt...

    Oh, BTW Kevin - would you like a change of username??

    Gtanner00 and droidbound like this.

    PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

    Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

    Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

    Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

    Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

  6. #6
    Ironhide
    Member #
    2470
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Tablet
    TF701
    Posts
    1,078
    Liked
    39 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    The only mistake I can see is that you unlocked before updating the bootloader to he last version - so don't be too hard on yourself.
    Before you do anything else, pm lj on XDA. He loves cases like this and since he's just developed the kang TWRP I would think he's very familiar with the TF701 right now.
    My inclination would be to do a full buster99 including the boot partition, but ask Josh first and get ready to hit him up on Hangouts - that's where he does his consulting work
    Good luck, buddy!!
    is kang twrp working with the tf701 in addition to the tf700?

  7. #7
    Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    68238
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Posts
    1,417
    Liked
    335 times
    Guess I deserved that.

    The 701 is well on its way to being fixed, though, with lj50036's help. While he could see my desktop screen live, he asked me to show him what/how I flashed the bootloader/recovery and failed--and this time it worked. So I now have the latest bootloader, and the working TWRP announced 2 days ago! Good thing, too, because I don't think CWM could have fixed this tablet. It had corrupt filesystems on /data, /system, and /cache. Maybe through fastboot, IDK. But I had to change all 3 filesystems to ext3 then back to ext4 to fix them; the repair function did not work.

    Can't report complete success yet, though, as I have yet to successfully flash an OS. The stock FW update will not flash. First it reported that it was the wrong FW: this update is for a K00C, this device is a tf701t. OK, unzip the zip, change the update script to read tf701t and rezip, try again. This time it reported missing symlinks. Maybe I got a bad download on the update file, but if so I got it twice, as I had downloaded it to both the tablet and a PC, and md5sums matched. Perhaps Asus has a corrupt file on their server? Anyway I am now waiting for a CROMi-X download, it failed the first time after about 900MB. I live in a very quiet area, wouldn't have it any other way, but part of the price is horrible internet service. The wires around here have not been updated since the '70s, so it's either satellite or ground radio for broadband service. Of course dial-up is still available but I don't like to tie my 'phone up for weeks at a stretch.

    So maybe later tonight, maybe tomorrow I hope to have a 701 again. What a terrible life, stuck with only a 300 and a 700, a couple of Hannsprees, a few old Cobys, and assorted smartphones and PCs. Sheesh! No wonder they complain about us old folks hoarding stuff!
    droidbound likes this.
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

    T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

    TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

    What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

  8. #8

  9. #9
    Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    47492
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Tablet
    TF700
    Posts
    2,724
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by davioh View Post
    is kang twrp working with the tf701 in addition to the tf700?
    Not this version but they just released a Kang for the 701. The first and only touch enabled recovery for the TF701! Yay!!

  10. #10
    Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    47492
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Tablet
    TF700
    Posts
    2,724
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinthefixer View Post
    Guess I deserved that.

    The 701 is well on its way to being fixed, though, with lj50036's help. While he could see my desktop screen live, he asked me to show him what/how I flashed the bootloader/recovery and failed--and this time it worked. So I now have the latest bootloader, and the working TWRP announced 2 days ago! Good thing, too, because I don't think CWM could have fixed this tablet. It had corrupt filesystems on /data, /system, and /cache. Maybe through fastboot, IDK. But I had to change all 3 filesystems to ext3 then back to ext4 to fix them; the repair function did not work.

    Can't report complete success yet, though, as I have yet to successfully flash an OS. The stock FW update will not flash. First it reported that it was the wrong FW: this update is for a K00C, this device is a tf701t. OK, unzip the zip, change the update script to read tf701t and rezip, try again. This time it reported missing symlinks. Maybe I got a bad download on the update file, but if so I got it twice, as I had downloaded it to both the tablet and a PC, and md5sums matched. Perhaps Asus has a corrupt file on their server? Anyway I am now waiting for a CROMi-X download, it failed the first time after about 900MB. I live in a very quiet area, wouldn't have it any other way, but part of the price is horrible internet service. The wires around here have not been updated since the '70s, so it's either satellite or ground radio for broadband service. Of course dial-up is still available but I don't like to tie my 'phone up for weeks at a stretch.

    So maybe later tonight, maybe tomorrow I hope to have a 701 again. What a terrible life, stuck with only a 300 and a 700, a couple of Hannsprees, a few old Cobys, and assorted smartphones and PCs. Sheesh! No wonder they complain about us old folks hoarding stuff!
    How did you change the file systems? In TWRP or in adb shell?
    How did you try to flash the stock FW? In TWRP? AFAIK that has never worked on the TF701 - at least in CWM which was the only choice until two days ago. You need to flash the stock recovery from Droidbasement and use that for a stock firmware flash. But if you successfully flashed the bootloader and a recovery it "should" not be necessary to flash stock....
    On the other hand - on the HTC M8 if you really borked the FW and especially the radio portion (which we don't have) it is necessary to flash stock recovery (and stock rom) and perform a factory reset to restore the radios. On that device the stock recovery does stuff custom recoveries cannot do... No idea if this has any bearing on this tablet... certainly never heard that....
    But I'm glad you got out of the deep part of the hole you dug yourself into...
    BTW, I second the idea of username change. LOL
    Patience my ass, let's go kill something!
    Love it! A motto to live by
    Last edited by droidbound; 06-01-2015 at 01:12 AM.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-03-2014, 02:57 AM
  2. How to record video
    By ottjo in forum Asus MeMO Pad (7") Help
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-26-2013, 08:07 AM
  3. We set a new record today!!!!
    By Garemlin in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-09-2011, 08:17 PM
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:40 PM.