Thread: Rooting after KitKat update

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    2 times

Rooting after KitKat update

The "infinate" wisdom of Google then the complete oversight of ASUS to fix it before they released it the microSD card no longer has permissons to write ....

Need to root, any advice on the best route?

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    What are you trying to write. Mine works fine. Are you trying to move apps?

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    @leeshor You have a TF701 now? You need to update your profile

To root the TF701 you have to unlock the bootloader - no way around it - which will invalidate your warranty. Asus provides an Unlock tool on their support/downloads page under the Utilities heading.
    Once that is done you have to flash CWM 6.0.5.0 in fastboot.
    With CWM installed you can flash SuperSU in recovery to root your stock rom or - even better - just flash CROMi-X 7.0 which is based on the Asus 4.4.2 stock rom, the SD card fix and root are build in and you get a ton of other improvements to boot.
    Check out my my guide here: Beginners Guide to flashing a custom ROM on TF700T

The steps to get a custom recovery installed are the same. It's just a different recovery.
    Actually - study the OP for CROMi-X 7.0. It will also give you the steps and fastboot commands necessary. If you don't want to install a custom rom, just stop after installing CWM and just flash SuperSU in recovery.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/tran...t/rom-t2839030

I think I will have to write a similar guide for the TF701 here.....
    But I won't get to it for at least a week. Let me know if you still have questions after reading those pages.
    Last edited by droidbound; 08-06-2014 at 11:05 PM.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    No I still have a 700. But Marcus' profile said 700, didn't look closely enough. After all 700 and 701 only differ by 1,

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post

To root the TF701 you have to unlock the bootloader - no way around it - which will invalidate your warranty. Asus provides an Unlock tool on their support/downloads page under the Utilities heading.
    With CWM installed you can flash SuperSU in recovery to root your stock rom or - even better - just flash CROMi-X 7.0 which is based on the Asus 4.4.2 stock rom, the SD card fix and root are build in and you get a ton of other improvements to boot.

The steps to get a custom recovery installed are the same. It's just a different recovery.
    Actually - study the OP for CROMi-X 7.0. It will also give you the steps and fastboot commands necessary. If you don't want to install a custom rom, just stop after installing CWM and just flash SuperSU in recovery.
    [ROM]★★[KitKat 4.4.2][CROMi-X 7.… | Asus Transformer TF701 | XDA Forums

But I won't get to it for at least a week. Let me know if you still have questions after reading those pages.
    Sorry for delay, but thanks I'll check it out and try it in a few days then provide some feedback

Cheers

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    No I still have a 700. But Marcus' profile said 700, didn't look closely enough. After all 700 and 701 only differ by 1,
    I actually have both, love the TF701 except for Google's bone head move restricting +w permissions to the microSD card. Really pisses me off and while ASUS "could" patch KitKat to resolve this they don't.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    2 times
    Actually after thinking about it a bit more and since rooting will void the warranty I'll probably end up just going with Cromi-X 7 ROM. I've been running Cromi-X 5.4 on my TF700 for some time now and love it. The performance improvement of this tweaked stock ROM is amazing, makes the 700 usable once again.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    6 times
    post deleted (accidentally inserted wrong quote)
    Last edited by talion; 10-22-2014 at 03:45 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post

[ROM]★★[KitKat 4.4.2][CROMi-X 7.… | Asus Transformer TF701 | XDA Forums

This may be a stupid question, but you refer to links for flashing ROMs on TF700T, and then say that you need to write a guide for the TF701T, but you also did say that we needed to follow these steps to root the TF701. I guess my question is, are the instructions for how to do it on the TF700T also usable on the TF701T? This uncertainty has been the only thing that has stopped me from doing it already. Thanks.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by talion View Post
    This may be a stupid question, but you refer to links for flashing ROMs on TF700T, and then say that you need to write a guide for the TF701T, but you also did say that we needed to follow these steps to root the TF701. I guess my question is, are the instructions for how to do it on the TF700T also usable on the TF701T? This uncertainty has been the only thing that has stopped me from doing it already. Thanks.
    Sorry if I confused you.
    You have to differentiate between rooting a device (which is reversable and only provides you access to the /system partition) and unlocking the bootloader (NOT reversable and a pre-requisite to installing a custom recovery and custom rom).
    They are two entirely different things.
    On some devices you can get root without unlocking the bootloader. But not on the TF701.
    If you want to gain root, you have to unlock the bootloader which will allow you to flash a custom recovery. And then you can flash SuperSU in recovery to gain root.
    But since you lost warranty already, IMO it would be a waste of time and warranty to just optain root on the TF701.
    CROMi-X 7 is a much better rom than the stock rom and all it takes to enjoy it is a simple flash in recovery once you did the bootloader unlock and custom recovery flash.
    The STEPS to do that are exactly the same for the TF700/TF701 (see my guide). The only difference is that you have to flash a different custom recovery and rom than I state in the TF700 guide.
    Hope that made it clearer...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links