Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Rooting after KitKat update

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    6 times
    I have downloaded both the 2.8.1.0 and the 2.8.0.1 versions (separately of course) and checked the MD5 sums against both, and both matched, but attempts to flash got the same result as above. File extensions are correct and show as such in the file properties. This is puzzling the crap out of me. Is there a possible settings issue that would prevent the transfer?

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by talion View Post
    I have downloaded both the 2.8.1.0 and the 2.8.0.1 versions (separately of course) and checked the MD5 sums against both, and both matched, but attempts to flash got the same result as above. File extensions are correct and show as such in the file properties. This is puzzling the crap out of me. Is there a possible settings issue that would prevent the transfer?
    Here are the most common fastboot troubles:
    File to flash is not in the directory you opened the cmd prompt from
    You are using a USB 3.0 port
    You are not running Windows as administrator
    Fastboot version is outdated (I believe the Minimal adb fastboot tool just got updated to the latest versions)
    Any luck with these???

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    6 times
    File to flash in directory - check
    not using 3.0 port - didn't realize this, and in fact I was on a USB 3.0 port. changed this, then changed to computer that only had USB 2.0 port
    running as administrator - check
    went to XDA and downloaded latest ADB and Fastboot
    checked settings. re-checked USB debugging setting.
    re-checked MD5 for program

After I was getting nowhere with my home PC decided to try using my work PC. I saw the USB 3.0 flag and thought "a-ha!" but when I tried it on the work PC I got the same result.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    We're getting close to my last straw here...
    Are you using the original USB cable? Any chance you can try a different one?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    6 times
    I only have the one, and yes, it's the original. Is there any chance that the latest firmware update has made the TF700 process incompatible with the TF701T?

I've been trying everythig I can think of, with no luck so far. I figured that perhaps I would see if I could flash CWM over, but some of the methods rely on having the correct bootloader version. Since I get the dead andy when I try to go into recovery mode I can't check the bootloader version unless there's another way. This would also seem to indicate that I may not have a fully functioning stock recovery either, although obviously I'm not bricked. Can I re-flash the stock recovery to the tablet and start over? Alternatively would it be safe to do a factory reset and go from there? Is there another way to identify bootloader version? Questions, questions. I would do this in a private message, except that I'm hoping that my experiences may be helpful to someone else in the same boat.
    Last edited by talion; 11-09-2014 at 05:25 PM.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Your bootloader version is in the top left corner when you boot into the bootloader menu as in: When you see the 3 icons. As long as you run stock it also is identical with your build number. Settings > About tablet > Build number.

Your recovery works fine I think. The dead Andy is totally normal since the stock recovery can only do two things:
    Wipe data (factory reset) and flash official Asus firmware which is digitally signed. If you enter recovery and it doesn't find a valid Asus firmware file, Andy keels over and croaks..

I don't think it has anything to do with your BL version either and it's also not related to the Android version you are running.
    Fastboot is a universal Android protocol which works with any Android version. The problem is almost definitely on the PC side and Windows is a PITA in terms of working out driver problems...
    You wouldn't have access to a Linux PC, would you?
    Last edited by droidbound; 11-10-2014 at 04:12 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    6 times
    Tried to flash CWM with the same result, so I think you're right and it must be a PC issue. Downloaded the drivers again from an XDA referred link. No soap. I don't have access to a Linux PC either.

Also tried playing with the MTP and PTP on/off while connected/unconnected to see if that jiggles something loose. Shows connecting under both. No change in ability to flash the damn recovery though. I really have no idea what else to try, but also cross-posted to XDA to see if any help might be forthcoming from there by someone with the same issue.
    Last edited by talion; 11-11-2014 at 06:38 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    6 times
    I am able to boot the CWM image in the tablet even though I can't seem to flash it over. Can this be leveraged somehow to become permanent or to allow me to sidestep the fastboot process and to put the recovery on the tab directly?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by talion View Post
    I am able to boot the CWM image in the tablet even though I can't seem to flash it over. Can this be leveraged somehow to become permanent or to allow me to sidestep the fastboot process and to put the recovery on the tab directly?
    fastboot boot <filename>.img works, but fastboot flash recovery <filename>.img does not??????

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    fastboot boot <filename>.img works, but fastboot flash recovery <filename>.img does not??????
    Correct. I can boot the CWM image but the flashing is not working.

P.S. I was able to use CWM image to install the SuperSu zip and root the tablet. Still can't get the recovery to stick though. Bizarre
    Last edited by talion; 11-12-2014 at 06:43 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links