Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    Sorry if I confused you.
    You have to differentiate between rooting a device (which is reversable and only provides you access to the /system partition) and unlocking the bootloader (NOT reversable and a pre-requisite to installing a custom recovery and custom rom).
    They are two entirely different things.
    On some devices you can get root without unlocking the bootloader. But not on the TF701.
    If you want to gain root, you have to unlock the bootloader which will allow you to flash a custom recovery. And then you can flash SuperSU in recovery to gain root.
    But since you lost warranty already, IMO it would be a waste of time and warranty to just optain root on the TF701.
    CROMi-X 7 is a much better rom than the stock rom and all it takes to enjoy it is a simple flash in recovery once you did the bootloader unlock and custom recovery flash.
    The STEPS to do that are exactly the same for the TF700/TF701 (see my guide). The only difference is that you have to flash a different custom recovery and rom than I state in the TF700 guide.
    Hope that made it clearer...
    Tried to use your guide. Used the V8 unlock tool you mentioned for the TF700T which should also work on the TF701T but which does not. It says does not work with this device. Tried about 15 times with various update configurations and having powered down and up again. No success. Was going to try the V1 unlock tool for the 701T but see the disclaimer saying it's only good for JB 4.2 and am wondering what possibility for damage there is with the incorrect unlock tool. Will it simply not work, or can it cause damage that I would later regret?

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by talion View Post
    Tried to use your guide. Used the V8 unlock tool you mentioned for the TF700T which should also work on the TF701T but which does not. It says does not work with this device. Tried about 15 times with various update configurations and having powered down and up again. No success. Was going to try the V1 unlock tool for the 701T but see the disclaimer saying it's only good for JB 4.2 and am wondering what possibility for damage there is with the incorrect unlock tool. Will it simply not work, or can it cause damage that I would later regret?
    There is no possibility of damage. Use the JB 4.2 tool. It'll work

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    6 times
    It might, but the stupid Asus Unlock Tool page won't let me get to it. It's asking me to verify my Google account in order to process the unlock. I plug in the password and it says that it's not valid. Yes it is. Tried more times. Went onto the PC and logged in using the same pasword. no problem. This is frustrating. It offers using a PIN as an option. Is this the encryption PIN it's referring too, and do I really have to encrypt the whole thing to get to the damn unlock tool? Assuming that even works?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    It might, but the stupid Asus Unlock Tool page won't let me get to it. It's asking me to verify my Google account in order to process the unlock. I plug in the password and it says that it's not valid. Yes it is. Tried more times. Went onto the PC and logged in using the same pasword. no problem. This is frustrating. It offers using a PIN as an option. Is this the encryption PIN it's referring too, and do I really have to encrypt the whole thing to get to the damn unlock tool? Assuming that even works?
    Let me guess: You have 2-step-verification enabled on your G account?
    Create an app specific password for the Unlock Tool or turn it off for now.
    Do NOT encrypt your device! Tough to get it back to normal....

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    6 times
    never mind. after 15 more tries it just worked. *sigh*

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    6 times
    I've flashed over the TWRP recovery with the message indicating that I've succeeded. I do the fastboot reboot, bring up the recovery screen and try to go to TWRP but I get as far as the "booting recovery kernel image" message, the android image comes up as if upgrading, then falls on his back dead with the ominous exclamation point. I flashed the recovery over twice more but I get the same result. Then I downloaded the recovery again and flashed again, twice more. Still no joy. Poor, dead little android guy.

Any suggestions?

P.S. Have now tried both TWRP 2.8.0.1 and 2.8.1.0, just in case dyslexia had overcome me and the version made a difference. No difference. Same result.
    Last edited by talion; 11-07-2014 at 12:51 AM.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    If you see dead Andy, you still have the stock recovery. For some reason the flash does not go through.
    After the recovery flash you have to boot to system: "fastboot reboot" without quotes.
    Do you see a brief blue progress bar filling up under the Asus logo during that boot?

If not please take a screenshot of your cmd window or copy/paste the contents and post it here

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    6 times
    I did the fastboot reboot after every flash of the recovery. from the recovery screen I get the recovery kernel image message, and then I see the Android with the filling blue progress bar briefly before I get the "dead Andy" version.

Once I'm back home, if it will be useful, I'll put a shot of the commands here.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    6 times
    Here's the cmd window entries:

C:\>fastboot devices
    15C3E100910000000XXXXXXXX fastboot (I edited out a few numbers and replaced them with with x's, but got a pure result)

C:\>fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash recovery twrp.blob
    target reported max download size of 643825664 bytes
    sending 'recovery' (7024 KB)...
    OKAY [ 0.964s]
    writing 'recovery'...
    OKAY [ 0.241s]
    finished. total time: 1.213s

C:\>fastboot reboot
    rebooting...
    finished. total time: 0.021s

C:\>
    Last edited by talion; 11-08-2014 at 09:17 AM.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Here's the cmd window entries:

C:\>fastboot devices
    15C3E100910000000XXXXXXXX fastboot (I edited out a few numbers and replaced them with with x's, but got a pure result)

C:\>fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash recovery twrp.blob
    target reported max download size of 643825664 bytes
    sending 'recovery' (7024 KB)...
    OKAY [ 0.964s]
    writing 'recovery'...
    OKAY [ 0.241s]
    finished. total time: 1.213s

C:\>fastboot reboot
    rebooting...
    finished. total time: 0.021s

C:\>
    Ok, that's what I thought. The flasg takes less than 1 second. That is a little fast, so it's actually not happening.
    Why? If only I knew.... Check the file you downloaded, check the md5 sum if you can, download it again, careful when renaming it (make sure file extensions are showing in Windows Explorer)... it's something along those lines..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links