Thread: Rooting the TF701 without unlocking the bootloader

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    39 times
    Hi
    droidbound.... Been super busy with college, work, moving apartment. Question is the app flashify something you've tried. It seems to add a whole bunch of functionality to twrp or whatever your favorite backup app is....

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Hi davioh, good that your busy - keeps you out of trouble
    I have tried flashify and it does have some nice functions, but call me old fashioned, I prefer to use fastboot, recovery and adb to achieve the same results. Flashify cannot do anything the installed recovery cannot do. It's just an app that calls the recovery to perform it's functions.
    I don't like that extra layer.... How can I be sure that Flashify knows the options (and limitations) of whatever recovery I have installed?
    I have used GooManger, TWRP Manager, Flashify and always return to plain old recovery, adb sideload or flash in fastboot. Just seems cleaner IMO...

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    6 times
    Is there a root only process for tabs on 4.4.2 now (I know there wasn't a time of OP). Failing that, what is a good root/unlock method if you are starting on 4.4.2? I keep looking and seem to only find clear reference if you are starting on 4.3, and I've been trying to read and research, honest!

I've only ever rooted/unlocked one device (TF201) and don't feel confident enough in the process to screw around with the TF701 without clear direction. Any help appreciated and thanks for the patience with a noob.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by talion View Post
    Is there a root only process for tabs on 4.4.2 now (I know there wasn't a time of OP). Failing that, what is a good root/unlock method if you are starting on 4.4.2? I keep looking and seem to only find clear reference if you are starting on 4.3, and I've been trying to read and research, honest!

I've only ever rooted/unlocked one device (TF201) and don't feel confident enough in the process to screw around with the TF701 without clear direction. Any help appreciated and thanks for the patience with a noob.
    There is no root method without unlocking - sorry.
    It may be time to recycle my guide for flashing custom roms on the TF700 to this forum, but it'll be a while before I have time.
    So read the instructions on How To Flash here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/tran...t/rom-t2839030
    And also here (where you download the recovery you need to flash a custom rom): http://droidbasement.com/db-blog/?p=3449
    Then let me know if you have specific questions.
    For getting adb/fastboot to work on your PC you can follow the instructions in my TF700 guide:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2688891

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    39 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    The new Towelroot exploit has been reported working with a stock locked TF701 on XDA:

Towelroot works without unlocking bootloader! - xda-developers
    Edit 7/7/14: I consider it confirmed that only Towelroot v1 works on the TF701. See post # 6 for download link.

Edit 7/25/14: Towelroot v1 works only if you are still on JB 4.3. If you have taken the 4.4.2 OTA update you're out of luck. There's no known root-only method for this firmware at this time.
    bumping of the thread to give thanks to droidbound and towelroot corp!!!
    Swipe likes this.

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    39 times
    sad to report that towel root was no longer working...I got it rooted but sufficient to say I'm beat...I'll update in here to try and get an understanding as to why it didn't work. A real puzzler for sure......

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Quote Originally Posted by davioh View Post
    sad to report that towel root was no longer working...I got it rooted but sufficient to say I'm beat...I'll update in here to try and get an understanding as to why it didn't work. A real puzzler for sure......

Updating the firmware might have caused the problem you are having.... you updated the firmware the other day. Maybe the exploit Towelroot used has been patched. Just wondering if this might be the reason.

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    39 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Swipe View Post
    Updating the firmware might have caused the problem you are having.... you updated the firmware the other day. Maybe the exploit Towelroot used has been patched. Just wondering if this might be the reason.
    same tablet, same version of OS and everything....the only difference was a few months and WHEN I downloaded towelroot. version 1, 2 , 3... none achieved root on 4.3 this time!(triple verified via towelroot and several root required apps) To make what could be a very very long story short... I used an app called apk sender to send towel root 1 (via email from the first tablet to myself). It instantly rooted on both versions of 4.3 just like before! Something changed in towel root...

Serious Hacker
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    7 times
    I know this is an old thread, but if anyone is still wondering...

I used Kingo Root run from Windows to root my TF701T via the USB cable without unlocking the bootloader. Did this earlier this week with the latest version of Kingo Root.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links