Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times

TF700T Custom ROM flashing issue [Kind of Solved][To be Updated]

Good day all,

My TF700T has been so slow since the beginning of time, I pretty much gave up on it and was waiting for a chance to sell it when I'm home (I work on cruise ships, so I only get to go home every 6 months or so). This time around I've got a longer break, so I decided to see if it can be "saved" before I finally sell it off to some junk collectors.

Turns out there is a huge and helpful community (read: here) helping clueless folks like me. Who knew.

So! I read droidbound's beginner's guide, and decided to try my luck with a custom ROM to see if things improve.

I followed the guide pretty much to the T. I have the TWRP (2.8.7) installed, and pushed it to the TF700 (running 4.2, 10.6.xxxx bootloader - same as listed). It's all good and running. Made myself a Nandroid backup; seems fine. Then I decided on the Zombi-Pop ROM. Tried installing it; that's fine - until I hit the loading animation. It loaded for 2 hours+, and showed no sign of booting into the launcher.

Now, I've read numerous threads during the wait time, and there has been nothing about a wait time >10 minutes. I panicked and restarted the tablet.

Thought something maybe wrong with the ROM itself, I also tried 2 more ROMs from different dev's. Same thing - the boot is stuck at the animation logo.

The only potential mistake I made, would be the one time when the TWRP asked me about rooting the system, and suddenly my laptop lost power and restarted. I thought of that corrupting the TWRP, and have since re-flash the TWRP (Kang) into the tablet, which has been running fine. (The original TWRP doesn't want to reformat the partitions into f2fs anyway) I also noticed that when I am trying to wipe the partitions, Dalvik Cache and Internal Storage cannot be selected "Invalid Partition Selection". When I perform the wipe, it says it's complete, but I'm not convinced.

I also noticed that with TWRP, the tablet goes into reboot once I unplug the USB from the laptop; but the Kang edition can run standalone. Is it normal?

I tried to reload the recovery room; same thing happened: the boot animation (Asus) kept looping. I waited for an hour and decided it may be too long. I'm on my 17th time rewiping and reflashing.

I am not quite sure what is going wrong, or how I can fix it. Any pointer at this point will be very much appreciated!!
    Last edited by tsuen; 12-22-2015 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Updates

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    I believe you may have a corrupted filesystem on your /data partition. TWRP, whichever version, should run just fine without your PC plugged in, but the Kang version is the one you want anyway.

Not sure what you mean by trying to reload the recovery room. I'm afraid that's just nonsense syllables....

Boot to TWRP, go to wipe>advanced wipe>check Data>Repair or Change Filesystem>Repair Filesystem. Then go back and Wipe>Format Data. Then go back and Wipe>Advanced Wipe>Repair or change>Change to f2fs. Then flash Zombi-Pop after checking your md5 sum. That should do it, but if not give a holler.
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100

TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi Thanks for the quick response!

By reloading the recovery ROM I meant using the Restore function on TWRP and loading the Nandroid backup.

Whenever I tried to install Zombi-Pop 5.1.1 on f2fs, right after the successful installation and before rebooting the tablet, it warns me "No OS installed, reboot anyway?" Sure enough once I reboot, it just stays at the bootloader with something along the line of main partition being in f2fs, the external SD card has nothing, etc.; but it refuses to load the OS. It was a little better when the system is in ext4... Not sure what's going on.
    noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooob.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Wait... "It was a little better when the system is in ext4"??
    That's what it always is. Did you format system to f2fs? That would explain why the rom won't boot....
    You can format data to f2fs but nothing else (for Zomb-POP at least...).
    Also, on RC2, the latest version of this rom, the first boot will take 20 minutes!
    Interrupting it is not a good idea as you found out.
    Check if you have an adb connecton to your PC in recovery please. You may have to format your partitions from there...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi, thanks for the reply!

Good news, I managed to get it working now! I retraced my steps, and went through all the partitions I can get to, and change all the file system back to ext4, and finally the ROM clicked. Tablet is now running 5.1.1.

Didn't know about what partitions can be formatted to f2fs and what not, but I learned it the hard way. Luckily it just took time, not damaging the hardware. During the time my micro SD did freak out, but that's a whole other story.

I interrupted it because it took more than 2 hours. Something must have gone wrong if it takes that long, I presumed.

Well, the bad news is that the tablet is still running quite slow, even right off the bat at the sign up screens. After installing some apps some sometimes it even grinds to a halt. Performance improvement is minimal.

Thinking of flashing it once more if apps like Clean Master and Lagfix don't help, with f2fs (now I know) and lower resolution. Hope it helps?

Thanks for all your help; you guys are the best!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    ZOMBi absolutely needs data f2fs. Or try this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/tran...weaks-t3273515
    😉

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    Yes, I tried to get Zombi-Pop to work with an ext4 /data partition. It ran, sort of, but it's the only time I've ever had lag problems with my 700, and it was basically unuseable.
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:

T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100

TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    That would explain the lag. I'll try to reflash it tonight (Asian timezone)! BTW is lowering the screen resolution worth the speed increase? Kinda wanna keep the 1080 resolution...

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    I don't think you are going to see any speed increase by lowering the resolution. The bottleneck on this tablet is not cpu/gpu, it's the slow internal memory.
    If you don't get the expected result with Zombi give CROMi-X Resurrected a try. It just works... stable, fast... very nice rom for this tablet.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you very much for your response!

I have to admit I'm liking what I see in 5.1.1 so far, so I'd love to try the Zombi-pop once more with f2fs first, before moving onto Cromi-X.

...although, given my luck with electronics, I'll probably have to move back to JB anyway... 😓

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links